Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Not even a hundred pages in and two Ace nudity scenes (one a nightmare, admittedly.) Stop it now, guys.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on October 08, 2019, 11:01:02 PM
Not even a hundred pages in and two Ace nudity scenes (one a nightmare, admittedly.) Stop it now, guys.

How does the prose face up to the reality of Ace's nudity? 

Is it along the lines of "She has taken her clothes off again; try to ignore it" and "Oh wait... what the?  She's doing it again!  ACE PUT YOUR CLOTHES BACK ON.  I'm sorry, reader."

Or does the writer keep bothering to describe her nudity in detail each time.  "So from the feet up she has these:  knees, clunge (buttocks around the back), breasts and arms.  Then it's just her neck and head which are normally visible even when she is clothed."

If it's the latter it must start feeling after a while like when Link brushes against a boulder without having the power bracelet equipped.

pigamus

I dimly remember from the time that one of the books delights in telling you that Ace has brown nipples. Can anyone confirm that, or have I made it up?

Malcy

Mission To The Unknown

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NW8yk-m5Ig8&t=287s

Making of

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jbYq8A_6_dc

Totally forgot it was on earlier so just about to watch it now.

Malcy

Enjoyed it until the alliance scenes and started laughing. It's been well over 10 years since I listened to the audio of the episode but don't remember it being so cringey.

Where were Purves & De Sousa in this? Weren't they supposed to be on-screen or did they just visit the set?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: pigamus on October 09, 2019, 06:13:15 PM
I dimly remember from the time that one of the books delights in telling you that Ace has brown nipples. Can anyone confirm that, or have I made it up?

The first Cartmel War- one I think. From the POV of someone who thinks he's in a VR sexy laydeez thing.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Malcy on October 09, 2019, 08:08:29 PM
Enjoyed it until the alliance scenes and started laughing. It's been well over 10 years since I listened to the audio of the episode but don't remember it being so cringey.

Lots of planets have a Yorkshire.

Alberon

Quote from: Malcy on October 09, 2019, 08:08:29 PM

I listened to bits of the original soundtrack immediately after watching the reconstruction and, to be honest, it did sound almost as bad. I think the original seems a little better because you can't see them unlike in the reconstruction.

Quote from: Malcy on October 09, 2019, 08:08:29 PMWhere were Purves & De Sousa in this? Weren't they supposed to be on-screen or did they just visit the set?

Don't know. Probably not unless they stuffed them inside the daleks. I don't think there was much else they could have done onscreen.

It's not a bad effort at all. They are just students and not professional actors after all, but they caught the mid 60s Doctor Who vibe perfectly. Since it was an episode not sold abroad it is about as definitely lost as a Doctor Who episode can be. So to see a live-action version of it is great.

Pranet

I really enjoyed it. Great job.

daf

Don't think this made it to the season 23 set : Sweary Blessed (skip to 2:30 for the good bit)

purlieu

Just having a peek at my Amazon wishlist and noticed this:

Alberon

Some of the later ones in the series list at insane prices. IIRC So Vile a Sin was released very late (which is a shame as it had a major series event in it) so may be a bit rarer than the rest.

The prices are proabably due to pricing bots going a bit loopy. Even Ian Levine wouldn't pay that price for it.

Replies From View

Isn't that price set by whoever's trying to sell it second hand?  They can't believe they'll sell it for that, though.

Alberon

There are companies selling through Amazon who do, I believe, use bots to set prices. It's usually to stop being outpriced by a penny by a seller like you or me.

But if a bot is working against a bot they can end up pushing each other up or down to extreme levels. Most of the books listed at insane prices for So Vile a Sin, Lungbarrow and The Dying Days are from online bookshops selling through Amazon.

Replies From View

lol bots are so fucking stupid

Gurke and Hare

I don't understand, why would the bots be pricing their stuff at a higher price than the competition? Shouldn't the idea be to attract custom by undercutting?

(No, of course I'm not going to read that linked article.)

purlieu

Yeah, back when I used to sell on Marketplace, whatever I put up, MusicMagpie would undercut by a penny within a day.

There are a fair few around the £30 mark, a couple at around £80 (Dying Days, notably, and probably Lungbarrow, but I already bought an unofficial reprint of that), but that one really made me laugh. So Vile a Sin was indeed delayed, and came out as the very last New Adventure, after the two aforementioned ones. I suppose after losing the license Virgin couldn't do reprints of those, so they've become incredibly rare.

Animation news!
QuoteDoctor Who: The Animations (hosted by Toby Hadoke) – Main Stage

Hear from the Executive Producer and special guests from the upcoming animation, The Faceless Ones
World-first look at an exclusive clip from The Faceless Ones
World-first announcement of a new animation with a clip!

Alberon

Well, The Faceless Ones follows directly on from The Macra Terror so if they're carrying on through the series like that then the story after will be Evil of the Daleks.

Gurke and Hare

Are any old Target novels still valuableish? I've got a Fury From The Deep book that fetched high prices on ebay once.

Norton Canes

The Wheel In Space (batch of copies destroyed in warehouse fire) is still the one which fetches the most, I think.

purlieu

Yeah, that's a very pricey one (cheapest on Amazon is £68.56.)

The Virgin-era novelisations of Power and Evil of the Daleks tend to go for £30-40, and a number of other Troughton ones aren't that cheap - The Macra Terror currently goes for £19.41 on Amazon Marketplace, with many others (including Fury From the Deep) currently around the £15 mark.

purlieu

Lucifer Rising

No idea why Ace has had lip fillers in that picture.

What an odd book. On many level it's brilliant: there's a ton of beautiful and hugely imaginative imagery: a couple of alien races who are pretty different to the standard fare, scenes taking part within the atmosphere of a gas giant, a pair of moons - one hollow - connected by a shimmering bridge (one of the characters being called Heimdall was a bit much, mind), and some wonderful body horror near the end. Ace acting as manipulator rather than The Doctor has potential, and a number of the characters are written sympathetically. It ties in with the future history of Earth as described over previous books, with the government falling and being replaced by corporations, and even has a nice bit that very loosely ties the story in with The Dalek Invasion of Earth in a satisfying and non-fanwanky way.

And despite all this, the writers decided to fill up the first two thirds of the novel with a really tedious murder mystery that went nowhere in a very slow, dull fashion. I read the final third (of what is, so far, the longest Who book I've read) in one sitting, but the previous bulk just plodded so much that I could only get through maybe 20 pages at a time.

Very frustrating book.

purlieu

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: purlieu on October 14, 2019, 12:51:10 PM
Three currently unnamed Targets coming out next year - hopefully more new series novelisations.

Reeltime have done a new story featuring Sil which has also been novelised.

And also a novel by Sophie Aldred.

This week's DWM is the 40th anniversary special, containing a second magazine and a DVD with 100 minutes of content (the Mission remake has been mooted).

pigamus

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 13, 2019, 07:17:42 PM
The Wheel In Space (batch of copies destroyed in warehouse fire) is still the one which fetches the most, I think.

According to Paul Smith (https://www.wonderfulbook.co.uk/basedon/) the warehouse fire thing is a myth. There were 23,000 copies printed, which wasn't a particularly small print run.

Gurke and Hare

Who the hell is it that buys the talking books of the original Targets? Twenty quid for a CD of Stephen Pacey reading Terminus? Really?

Bad Ambassador

What about Dave Benson Phillips reading The Invisible Enemy?

purlieu

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 14, 2019, 03:14:03 PM
Who the hell is it that buys the talking books of the original Targets? Twenty quid for a CD of Stephen Pacey reading Terminus? Really?
I suppose there's a market for the vision impaired, but I'd imagine it's mostly just collectors, with maybe only a third of them ever actually listened to.