Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:08:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 13, 2019, 07:17:42 PM
The Wheel In Space (batch of copies destroyed in warehouse fire) is still the one which fetches the most, I think.

I have a Target Wheel in Space, but it's one of the larger-sized hardback ones (I recall they did a few of them in hardback; I've got a few others).

pigamus

It's a shame they couldn't mock up those Resurrection/Revelation books as proper Target novels. The covers are so half-arsed it's almost insulting.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: pigamus on October 15, 2019, 02:33:47 PM
It's a shame they couldn't mock up those Resurrection/Revelation books as proper Target novels. The covers are so half-arsed it's almost insulting.

Apparently the paperbacks will have different cover art.

Lee Binding, who does a lot of DVD cover art, mocked this up. Print it off and turn it into a dust cover.

Norton Canes

The Giggling Bean

I love that Resurrection cover, I hope he does a similar one for Revelation. I never bothered to buy the reprints as I've still got a ton of the Target books from when I began collecting in the 80s/90s. However if they release Revelation and Resurrection with covers like that I might pick them up...the ones for the hardback didn't impress me.

I still need to pick up a few of the McCoy and Colin Baker Target books to fill some gaps. I remember them being quite pricey on Amazon though.

purlieu

Quote from: purlieu on October 14, 2019, 12:51:10 PM
Three currently unnamed Targets coming out next year - hopefully more new series novelisations.
A Target-style version of The Pirate Planet - probably abridged, like the City of Death one the other year - will be released on the same day.

Deanjam

Saw this on Twitter and thought it might be of interest.

Alberon

Why is Darth Vader punching a Weeble?

JamesTC

Has everybody seen this iconic appearance of Jon Pertwee in character as The Doctor in a corporate video. Delivering his Doctor's legendary catchphrase too.

purlieu

Malcy

daf

If anyone missed it first time round, rumours of a limited re-issue of the Season 12 UK blu-ray set * -

Quote#DoctorWho The Collection Blu-Ray news from @mcmcomiccon: the BBC will release a further "limited run" of Season 12 box-sets, whose initial print run underestimated demand, making the set scarce ever since. Hooray. #MCMComicCon
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1188423715303940097

* (Currently going for around £300-400 second hand)

purlieu

Oh, at fucking last. I'll make sure to keep my US one to flog on at a stupid price sometime down the line.

Books! White Darkness

A confusing book. McIntee's very into his history, having written, I think, three very descriptive MAs and PDAs, and again here there's a lot of detail about the US occupation of Haiti in 1915. The vivid descriptions of the island and the turmoil at the time are the best parts of the book. The rest is rather confusing. There's far too much going on for a 240 page book, with a lot of different characters and plots: Haitian politicians, Generals, cult leaders, historians and locals, German scientists, German soldiers, American marines, a rogue US soldier, not to mention the Great Ones (or the Old Ones, or the Great Old Ones... I don't think David's read his Lovecraft too well - although he throws in a copy of the Necronomicon for Ace and The Doctor to find). For the most part it's very difficult to ascertain exactly what the characters' plans or motives are, with the Germans' presence being almost entirely superfluous. The constant flitting between the various under-developed plot elements made it very difficult to really get to grips with the book, and thus I read it in small chunks here and there.

And up next, Christopher Bulis's first novel. Joy.

Malcy

Faceless Ones Clip

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NG2a2tmKTnU

Featuring a surprising cameo on a notice board...

Alberon

So now the UNIT dating confusion expands to cover the 60s as well as the 70s and 80s.

I did like it though.

The Giggling Bean

I believe this is being made by the animation arm of Big Finish now. I'm genuinely delighted that there seems to be a long term plan for these animations. It opens up the possibility of having The Daleks Masterplan created within a year if they were so inclined. Somebody on Gallifrey Base said that Big Finish had queried whether there would be any interest in animations of BF stories in the future. Personally I would be ecstatic to have an animated Spare Parts or Davros in the collection. It would also be nice to have Colin's final adventure...although that might need editing to remove references to the preceding 3 stories in that set.

I'm so happy we get to add to the Troughton era. I know we all want the actual episodes back but these animations are good substitutes for the time being. It's also nice that they're giving purists the Telesnaps option. I do hope they attempt a few Hartnells once they've finished with Troughton. I reckon Galaxy Four, Celestial Toymaker, The Myth Makers and The Savages are doable...probably The Smugglers too but would that fall under historicals?

JamesTC

I think if any original stories were to be animated it has to be a McGann.

Hopefully all but The Highlanders* and The Underwater Menace get animated now in the Troughton era by the end of 2022.

*confirmed as not possible within the budget

purlieu

Quote from: JamesTC on October 27, 2019, 10:41:05 PM
I think if any original stories were to be animated it has to be a McGann.
Agreed, imagine having a 'McGann Years' BluRay set on the shelf. Cor.

There's a great run of stories you could have based around the 'Stranded on Earth' arc, if you throw in Eater of Wasps from later in the series and replace Escape Velocity with The Dying Days. Even Revolution Man, if you cut the story into something manageable and the Dr doesn't pop a cap in the bitch ass of the villain at the end.

Once upon a time, I wrote out a 13 episode summary of "How I'd do a McGann Dr season", all on Earth, mostly based on the novels. The only 'original' one was a 1970s-set cyberman one by the sea.

Norton Canes

Hope no more stories get animated. Hate the animations. UCLAN has shown us the way forward.

Malcy

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 28, 2019, 09:48:23 AM
Hope no more stories get animated. Hate the animations. UCLAN has shown us the way forward.

I'm not a huge fan of them but they're Ok. I'd rather them than recasts. It worked for MTTU because no regulars were in it. If it was the David Bradley etc cast i'd watch them though.

I thought the audio on The Faceless Ones clip was really poor. I don't remember it being as bad on the other animations.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on October 27, 2019, 08:47:17 PM
So now the UNIT dating confusion expands to cover the 60s as well as the 70s and 80s.

It may as well.  I kind of think the more they muddy it the less the original errors stand out.

purlieu

The Invasion has been called 1960s before, in at least one of the books, so the '60s were already mixed up in the nonsense.

And I agree with Replies, there's actually no way of tying it together, so why not go the whole hog?

Phil_A

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 28, 2019, 09:48:23 AM
Hope no more stories get animated. Hate the animations.

I have to agree, for the most part they're very artless and functional adaptations and I don't think they exploit the medium well at all. I can't imagine sitting around watching one of those for enjoyment.

The Giggling Bean

They're obviously not up to Disney standard animation but I'm a big advocate of them. I've tried numerous times to watch the Telesnaps recons but I find them such a slog. I'm more engaged by the animations as it feels like I'm watching the episodes. Its horses for courses really, I've seen a lot of people comment that the animations don't work for them. As odd as it may be I wouldn't be interested in modern day remakes of missing stories as they'd just seem too fan film. Little things, like wrong era Daleks and some of the delegate acting, let the Mission to the Unknown remake down for me. Unless the BBC were making these with an eye on accuracy it wouldn't be for me. The Levine animation is still my go to for Mission to the Unknown.

If they were to create a McGann animated series would it be better to create it post TV movie 8th or pre Time War 8th? Personally I'd prefer post TV movie 8th.

Unless Morris, or someone else, produces a big haul of missing stories these really are the next best thing for me. I feel like I've actually watched the stories now.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on October 28, 2019, 02:32:30 PM
The Levine animation is still my go to for Mission to the Unknown.

Now that's a bloody awful animation.  Not only artless but functionless too.

samadriel

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on October 28, 2019, 02:32:30 PM
If they were to create a McGann animated series would it be better to create it post TV movie 8th or pre Time War 8th?

What's the difference?

Replies From View

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 28, 2019, 08:58:22 AMEater of Wasps

Is this a real title?  We had one of these in my class at school.

Quote from: Replies From View on October 29, 2019, 08:03:13 AM
Is this a real title?  We had one of these in my class at school.

yes.

One of the better ones, iirc, a decent page turner and some fairly horror moments. You quite easily could see this made into a TV script, I think.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: samadriel on October 29, 2019, 04:57:57 AM
What's the difference?

Post TV movie was the childlike wonder filled enthusiastic adventurer.

Pre Time War is more grizzled, tired and less tolerant