Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
although now I think of it, you've a sequel to State of Decay tucked away in the Eight Doctors as well.

Goth Opera definitely follows Blood Harvest but I thought there was at least one bit of Goth Opera that is followed in Blood Harvest.

Err,

Norton Canes

As expected, the Target series expands with the follwing titles due by 23rd July:

• The Pirate Planet by James Goss
  • Resurrection of the Daleks by Eric Saward
  • Revelation of the Daleks by Eric Saward
  • The TV Movie by Gary Russell
  • Dalek by Robert Shearman
  • The Crimson Horror by Mark Gatiss
  • The Witchfinders by Joy Wilkinson

Clearly the Shearman effort is the pick of the bunch there.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 10, 2019, 03:19:21 PM
As expected, the Target series expands with the follwing titles due by 23rd July:

• The Pirate Planet by James Goss
  • Resurrection of the Daleks by Eric Saward
  • Revelation of the Daleks by Eric Saward
  • The TV Movie by Gary Russell
  • Dalek by Robert Shearman
  • The Crimson Horror by Mark Gatiss
  • The Witchfinders by Joy Wilkinson

Clearly the Shearman effort is the pick of the bunch there.

The Pirate Planet will be a Targetised version, as it's already out in paperback, while the Sawards will be the official paperbacks following the hardbacks this year. Neither of which people have raved about.

Norton Canes

Here are Matt and David from 'An Audience With David Tennant And Matt Smith' at the Telford International Centre a few days ago:

(yes, I know it's a bit 'An Audience With Alan Partridge')

Anyway it got me thinking - everyone was so disappointed that Christopher Eccleston wasn't in 'The Day Of The Doctor' but woudn't it be great if they could do a 'three Doctors' story with David, Matt and Peter Capaldi?

By 'they' I guess it'd have to be Big Finish.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 10, 2019, 04:10:53 PM
The Pirate Planet will be a Targetised version, as it's already out in paperback, while the Sawards will be the official paperbacks following the hardbacks this year. Neither of which people have raved about

Oh yeah, aware of that. TBH 'Dalek' is probably the only one I'll get.

purlieu

Interesting that the Movie one is going to get a Target release. Any news whether it's a shortened version of the 1996 one?

mjwilson

On Twitter, Gary Russell implies it's not shortened (someone asked if it was going to be edited down and he said "Down? It was short enough as it was..."

He also says "It's a reprint. Ish." so I guess it might get a few edits or additional material reinstated.

Jerzy Bondov

I'll definitely get Dalek and I actually quite fancy Crimson Horror and Witchfinders. I hope they keep these up.

Alberon

Nice as they are I still long for a regular series of PDAs. Even just three or four a year would be better than nothing.

purlieu

Yeah, they did three a few years back (the dull Wheel of Ice, the excellent Harvest of Time and one of my absolute favourites, The Drosten's Curse), which looked like becoming a regular thing, but since then the only one's we've had have been the Douglas Adams novelisations, Scratchman and a Tenth Doctor one, In the Blood. There's such a market for them it seems really strange they're not doing more.

Jerzy Bondov

I quite liked the Michael Moorcock one. Seems like a no brainer, getting name sci-fi writers to knock out Who novels.

H-O-W-L

I'll definitely look at getting Crimson Horror because it was one of my favourite Smith stories. Could someone more focused on this be so kind as to give me a boot up the arse with a PM when they announce its release or what-have-you? I'll definitely forget about it.

Bad Ambassador

The new DWM has information about the Season 26 Blu-ray, where the new extras include:

Extended versions and feature-length versions of Battlefield and The Curse of Fenric, previously released on VHS and DVD respectively, as well as broadcast versions of all four stories
Workprint version of Ghost Light in SD
Behind the Sofa on all four stories
Compilations of OB and/or studio footage from all four stories
Becoming the Destroyer - Marek Anton interview
The Noel Edmonds Saturday Roadshow excerpt
The Curse of Fenric Commentary recording footage
Buried Treasure: 30 Years of Fenric
Nebula 90 convention panel - extended from the DVD
The Writers' Room - Season 26
Panopticon 1993 convention panel
Now and Then: Survival
Sophie Aldred: In Conversation
Showman: The Life of John Nathan-Turner
The Collection: Season 26 trailer
The Seventh Doctor Revisited
5.1 mixes on all versions of all stories

Unfortunately there are a few things missing: Shooting Ghosts, which might be folded in with the Ghost Light studio footage and workprint, clean versions of the opening and closing titles, Search Out Science and the compilation of cutscenes from Destiny of the Doctors.

daf

They were shooting completely on video in the studio and on location at this point * - and one inch video at that, so no chance of some proper HD.

Still, looks like a cracking package - so I'll be snapping this up in the new year.

- - - - - - -
* (season 25 was the last to use film - with some model and effects sequences on both 16mm and 35mm film)

Deanjam

I presume the Sophie Aldred interview is with Matthew Sweet? While I'm not a huge fan of Ace at times I've always liked Aldred so looking forward to that. The writers room bit on the last bluray was good, so looking forward to another one of them. Anything from Toby Hadoke this time?

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 10, 2019, 04:11:38 PM
Anyway it got me thinking - everyone was so disappointed that Christopher Eccleston wasn't in 'The Day Of The Doctor' but woudn't it be great if they could do a 'three Doctors' story with David, Matt and Peter Capaldi?

By 'they' I guess it'd have to be Big Finish.

Depends who's writing it really.  We're likely to have Chibnall doing the 60th anniversary story, in which case it doesn't matter which actors join in - it's guaranteed to be the worst multi-Doctor story ever.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Replies From View on December 12, 2019, 05:12:32 PM
Depends who's writing it really.  We're likely to have Chibnall doing the 60th anniversary story, in which case it doesn't matter which actors join in - it's guaranteed to be the worst multi-Doctor story ever.

Are we? That would give him a longer tenure than RTD (in years if not number of episodes obv, because nobody gives a shit about those anymore). I get the feeling he's 3 series and done.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 13, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
Are we? That would give him a longer tenure than RTD (in years if not number of episodes obv, because nobody gives a shit about those anymore). I get the feeling he's 3 series and done.

Not unless somebody else wants to take over as showrunner.  I think he's the kind of person who'd rather plod on, trapped, than have some initiative to leave a show that he is tanking.

Alberon

Another JNT?

I don't know who should feel most insulted by that.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on December 15, 2019, 02:02:47 AM
Another JNT?

I don't know who should feel most insulted by that.

More of a JNT than Moffat, who had strong ideas to the end and was clearly enjoying it even though it was exhausting him.

Chibnall hit the ground on empty and is already straining the external skin of his balls for moisture.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Replies From View on December 15, 2019, 11:17:52 AM
Chibnall hit the ground on empty and is already straining the external skin of his balls for moisture.

I can't work out what this means but it made me laugh like a tit.

Malcy

Lasted 10 minutes. Just couldn't be arsed with it at all. Bored me very quick. There was a Sea Devil in a spacesuit and a helmet-less Boba Fett at the start. Then it seemed to be getting into a 90min court case.

Deanjam

Who'd have thought that a cheap cash in starring a character from the worst period in the show's history would be shit.

Malcy

Quote from: Deanjam on December 15, 2019, 08:18:17 PM
Who'd have thought that a cheap cash in starring a character from the worst period in the show's history would be shit.

I didn't think it would be THAT shit. Cheap doesn't begin to cover it.

daf

Quote from: Alberon on December 15, 2019, 02:02:47 AM
Another JNT?

I wouldn't mind it if he was a bit more like JNT - i.e. Get other people in to script edit and write the stories - letting him free to concentrate on the important business of going to American Conventions, organising the Christmas Panto and buying some lovely shirts.

I'd let him do the 5 minute Children in Need / Comic Relief sketch, but that's it!

pigamus

Jesus H. Corbett. I just watched a bit on YouTube and I think it might be a fortnight before my arsehole unclenches.

Are there really people willing to pay money for that? Enough to make it viable?

Malcy

Quote from: pigamus on December 15, 2019, 08:31:13 PM
Jesus H. Corbett. I just watched a bit on YouTube and I think it might be a fortnight before my arsehole unclenches.

Are there really people willing to pay money for that? Enough to make it viable?

There's even a novelisation of it as well. Presumably available on the NHS as an alternative to sleeping pills.

I think there's another one coming out soon as well. Might not be Sil but something else who related.

pigamus

I'm also disturbed by the fact that Nabil Shaban and Andy Hamilton seem to be merging into the same person.

Malcy

This is the other one coming.

QuoteKATE LETHBRIDGE-STEWART IS DEAD!
Gordon Gordy Lethbridge-Stewart thought he had left the world of his grandfather behind him. As a research scientist, all he was interested in was developing new technologies.
Unfortunately, what he doesn t know is that retired UNIT operative Captain Douglas Cavendish has given him alien technology to develop his ideas with ... and that leads to a great deal of trouble indeed! Trouble that forces Kate Lethbridge-Stewart to make a life or death choice! In this fast paced sequel to both DAEMOS RISING and the DOCTOR WHO story THE TIME MONSTER, it s difficult to tell if reality is ... well ...real! Time itself it being manipulated and it s already run out more than once!

They can't sell very much of them so I reckon they're just rich fans with fuck all else to spend money on throwing cash at people until they agree to do it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Malcy on December 15, 2019, 07:49:33 PM

Lasted 10 minutes. Just couldn't be arsed with it at all. Bored me very quick. There was a Sea Devil in a spacesuit and a helmet-less Boba Fett at the start. Then it seemed to be getting into a 90min court case.

I noticed someone posted it on ReleaseBB and I could have watched it for free, but after checking out the trailer I decided against it, and your comments make it sound even worse than I thought it'd be.