Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Long what if article I came across while looking for a concept design for the Cybes which I didn't find. Lanky things with red eyes if I remember.

https://tygerwhocame2t.blogspot.com/2014/10/what-if-tv-movie-had-been-success-in-usa.html?m=1

Replies From View

Is anyone going to be subscribing to BritBox when Doctor Who arrives on it?

I probably won't, just to punish them for having such a shit name.  I have all the DVDs anyway.

mjwilson

I subscribed (well, started my free trial) a couple of weeks ago, not realising that the Who stuff wasn't on there yet. So I'll be trying to watch a few over Christmas.

Malcy

I'm subscribed to BritBox so will be using it to watch the remaining Classic Who that I haven't seen. Good chunk of Tom Baker stories. Seen/Heard/Read everything else but them.

Good chance I saw them when I was young and don't remember but will watch anyway. Can't say I'm overly looking forward to it. Then a full Pertwee research that I've been planning on doing for ages.

Gurke and Hare

Do we know if it will have the animations? Also, will it have odd episodes where stories only partially exist?

Alberon

I seem to remember reading somewhere (Radi Otimes?) that the animations were included.

Malcy

Yeah animations are included. Don't know if or when newly released ones like the upcoming  Faceless Ones will go on it though.

JamesTC

It doesn't have everything. Some orphaned episodes are included and some are not.

Reign of Terror is not included which is the big miss. The four orphaned Dalek episodes aren't on there.

The Wheel in Space is on there with the US recon alongside the existing episodes.

The Power of the Daleks, Shada and The Macra Terror animations will all be on there.

Peru

Do we have a sense of the blu ray releases for 2020 yet? I heard 14 was next, but can't find any solid evidence...

Replies From View

Just subscribed for the free month and nothing is coming up with a search for Doctor Who.  How are you getting to it?

mjwilson

It's arriving on Boxing Day.

Jerzy Bondov

Do we know are the episodes from the blu ray releases in their restored HD form?

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on December 22, 2019, 08:37:53 PM
It's arriving on Boxing Day.

It sucks that BritBox doesn't let you see what's on the service before you subscribe.  I would have held off until Boxing Day if I'd known Doctor Who wouldn't be on it until then.  Comments in this thread made it seem like it was already on there.

Malcy

All episodes are up on BritBox now. No recons to fill in gaps but all the animated stories are there as is K9 & Company, An Adventure In Space & Time and some documentaries.

JamesTC

I hear it is a bit of a hodgepodge as to which restorations are used. Season 19 uses the old DVD restorations whereas Planet of the Daleks uses the new Blu-Ray restoration. Invasion of the Dinosaurs uses the B&W version.

Quote from: Malcy on December 26, 2019, 10:08:43 AM
All episodes are up on BritBox now. No recons to fill in gaps but all the animated stories are there as is K9 & Company, An Adventure In Space & Time and some documentaries.

The Reign of Terror is missing. The Wheel in Space, The Web of Fear and The Underwater Menace all have recons.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on December 26, 2019, 01:15:21 PM
I hear it is a bit of a hodgepodge as to which restorations are used. Season 19 uses the old DVD restorations whereas Planet of the Daleks uses the new Blu-Ray restoration. Invasion of the Dinosaurs uses the B&W version.

The Reign of Terror is missing. The Wheel in Space, The Web of Fear and The Underwater Menace all have recons.

The layout has changed a couple of times since they went up so didn't see the recons. There was a surviving episode section but that's been changed already.

The service has been a bit choppy since they put them up. Couldn't log in in the early hours and seen a few people say they had issues this morning as well.

Watched The Face Of Evil earlier. Fair bit of stuttering but the quality was good.

daf

A look back at the first Christmas Special : Doctor Who's Weird 1965 Christmas Special

And a Merry Christmas Boxing Day to all of you reading at home! (~ glug ~)

Phil_A

Another day, another whinging article from Gareth Roberts about how he can't get any work due to being a repulsive bigot. It's "the woke's" fault apparently. Boo fucking hoo.

https://unherd.com/2019/12/how-i-was-cancelled-by-dr-who/

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Phil_A on December 26, 2019, 07:06:06 PM
Another day, another whinging article from Gareth Roberts about how he can't get any work due to being a repulsive bigot. It's "the woke's" fault apparently. Boo fucking hoo.

https://unherd.com/2019/12/how-i-was-cancelled-by-dr-who/

I think it's the same article from before, because Unherd decided that someone whining about the consequences of their bigotry counts as the "Best of 2019"'

Malcy

Classic Who was watched 20 times more than any other series on BritBox in the past 3 days. I'd love to see what was watched the most. I watched The Face Of Evil & Image Of The Fendahl which was Ok bit more fun spotting all the actors I recognised in it. Loads!

Deanjam

Happy 91st birthday to Bernard Cribbins!

The Giggling Bean

I got the fan produced 1987, Colin Baker, annual for Christmas. It was produced by a company on Facebook called Terraqueous Distributors and it was absolutely fantastic. They did a fan produced 72 annual for Pertwee, which I've ordered (although it's being discontinued in Jan). They're also doing a Roger Delgado Master annual for release in March.

I can honestly say it was one of my favourite Christmas presents this year. I love the Sixth Doctor and the annual was brilliant. Due to various contributors the artwork varies but it's such a lovely book to have. I really hope they produce a McCoy one in the future.

Malcy

Was it on earlier in the year?

Deanjam

Last Friday as far as I can tell.

Malcy

Quote from: Deanjam on December 31, 2019, 06:08:26 PM
Last Friday as far as I can tell.

Ah ok. There was a Sean Pertwee narrated doc earlier in the year and wondered if it was the same thing. Will give it a listen anyway.

Norton Canes

Just spotted on Gallifrey Base:

"If Resurrection of the Daleks had been part of season 20 as originally planned, you could take the first letter from each of the stories from that series: Arc of Infinity, Snakedance, Mawdryn Undead, Terminus, Enlightenment and Resurrection and it would spell out the name of the villain in The King's Demons."

Nice.

mjwilson

I watched Invasion of Time on Britbox - previously I only knew it from the Target. Is it wrong that I quite like the first 4 episodes?

Pranet

I know this isn't Doctor Who as such, but if you like old Doctor Who you might be interested in this, and if you like old Doctor Who but have never seen it I recommend you give it a go- I just notice Quatermass and the Pit is on the iplayer for the next fortnight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00trhv3

Ambient Sheep

Oh wow, thank you so much for that!  The film version is one of my favourite things ever (and seeing it on Talking Pictures on New Year's Eve for the first time in years, in a startlingly good-looking print, was one of my holiday highlights, it was even better than I remembered) and I've always wanted to see the original!

Do you know why they're choosing now to show it?