Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pranet

No idea at all- random things seem to go on the iplayer with no fanfare and it seems to be a total matter of luck finding out about it. There was a Radio 3 discussion about Quatermass (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b03y) a bit back as well. Must be some sort of anniversary.

There is a Quatermass Daily Motion channel.

https://www.dailymotion.com/britishrocketgroup/videos

I've never actually seen any of the films- I rented the tv DVDs a few years back.

Alberon

I saw the BBC version of Quatermass and the Pit on the iPlayer last summer. It's older than the first Doctor Who but clearly has a higher budget than some daft Saturday early evening kids series.

Surprisingly effective even after all these decades.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Pranet on January 09, 2020, 11:29:25 PMI've never actually seen any of the films- I rented the tv DVDs a few years back.

The first two films aren't bad but the third is very good, in my opinion.  It's also in colour, fwiw.  3 >> 1 > 2.

I thought most of the TV series had been lost?

Alberon

The third film is very good. I remember it scaring me when I saw it back in the nineties.

I don't think any of Quatermass TV serials were actually lost. The second and third was kept in full, the first one was broadcast live and the BBC weren't really capable of recording them. Two episodes of it were recorded using a primitive process but the results were deemed not good enough so weren't used for the rest of it.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the two episodes of the first Quatermass story are the two earliest episodes of a multi-episode series of British television to survive. A few single plays survive that are older.

Ambient Sheep

Ah yes, perhaps I should have said "unavailable"... but I didn't realise only the first was such.

I guess that explains one reason why they restaged it live on BBC4 around 15(!) years ago, doesn't it?

Alberon

And to bring the discussion back to Doctor Who the remake had David Tennant in it.

QuoteIt was during the rehearsals for The Quatermass Experiment that David Tennant was offered the role of the Tenth Doctor in Doctor Who. This casting was not announced to the public until later in April, but his fellow castmembers, and crew, became aware of the speculation surrounding Tennant; in the live broadcast Jason Flemyng changed Quatermass's first line to Tennant's Dr Briscoe from "Good to have you back, Gordon" to "Good to have you back, Doctor" as a deliberate reference.

Pranet

On the DVD after one of the episodes of the first series that they recorded they also recorded a few seconds of what came next, which was a woman done up the nines in a 1950s way who announced the programmes and I found it a fascinating look into early tv, that is irrecoverably lost to us now.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on January 09, 2020, 11:39:40 PM
The first two films aren't bad but the third is very good, in my opinion.  It's also in colour, fwiw.  3 >> 1 > 2.

I thought most of the TV series had been lost?

I like the 2nd movie, there's a brilliantly grim bit with Sid James in a pub.

The first two movies I got in this boxset alongside Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter. Immense.

Quote from: Alberon on January 09, 2020, 11:59:18 PM
And to bring the discussion back to Doctor Who the remake had David Tennant in it.

It's a good watch but they're clearly struggling towards the end.

Quote from: Alberon on January 09, 2020, 11:45:42 PM
The third film is very good. I remember it scaring me when I saw it back in the nineties.

I don't think any of Quatermass TV serials were actually lost. The second and third was kept in full, the first one was broadcast live and the BBC weren't really capable of recording them. Two episodes of it were recorded using a primitive process but the results were deemed not good enough so weren't used for the rest of it.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the two episodes of the first Quatermass story are the two earliest episodes of a multi-episode series of British television to survive. A few single plays survive that are older.

The Quatermass series in 1979 was on ITV, and was quite weird.

Norton Canes

The 1979 series is one of the best things made for television ever. Completely spooks me out even to this day.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: A Hat Like That on January 10, 2020, 09:50:55 AM
I like the 2nd movie, there's a brilliantly grim bit with Sid James in a pub.
To bring things full circle, that character's played by Roger Delgado in the TV version.

Deanjam

This has gone up on bluray.com. I hope it's true as series 14 is hands down my favourite series of Who.

purlieu

Not one of my favourites, but I seem to be of the unpopular opinion of not being overly enamoured by the Hinchcliffe era. It'll undoubtedly be delayed, as every box has so far, but it's currently running at two months after the Season 26 box. Going to be an expensive spring.

Deanjam

Amazon have season 14 up for pre-order with a release on April 20th.

Norton Canes

Just watched the trailer. Louise Jameson is one of the most awesome people on the planet.

1. The Robots Of Death
2. The Deadly Assassin
3. The Face Of Evil
4. The Talons Of Weng-Chiang
5. The Masque Of Mandragora
6. The Hand Of Fear

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 14, 2020, 10:28:30 AM
Just watched the trailer. Louise Jameson is one of the most awesome people in the planet.

That is delightful.

The Ace one for Season 26: here

It's like the first five minutes of her adventure with the 10th or 11th.

Gurke and Hare

Now Rat's What I Call Music.

I'm not sure I want a good giant rat effect mind you.

Replies From View

Here's a question:  Would anyone be interested if I started a thread of Doctor Who Radio Times stuff and progressed from the earliest mention through the classic era until the cancellation?  I wouldn't be doing proper scans - just taking photos of relevant pages as I have done for other things like Quantum Leap in the first (spam) thread, but the quality would be good.

Really the question boils down to whether people would give enough of a shit to warrant me doing this, or are all the Radio Times bits already available as pdfs on the official DVDs?

Deanjam

I would be interested in viewing them.

weekender

I would also be interested in viewing them, but I can't promise that I would post much other than an "Oh, interesting, thanks" every now and then.

Replies From View

I've just taken photos of every page of the Radio Times beginning 23rd November 1963 and have decided that I will never get through it if I include absolutely every single page from every issue, and what's more nobody will read everything if I do that so it'd be a pointless exercise.  It's 56 pages!

What I'll do is share the entirety of the 23rd November issue for curiosity's sake, and then only relevant and interesting pages thereafter.  As routine you can expect front covers, all Doctor Who related pages, then some various unrelated but historically interesting articles and adverts.

I'll start the thread in the next week or so when I have a backlog to share.  Enjoy!

Deanjam

Sounds great. Honestly, anything you take the time to share is appreciated.

Replies From View

I have begun the Radio Times Doctor Who thread, in case you missed it:  https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,77529.0.html

I'm using it as an opportunity to rewatch the show from the start.  Anyone else?

Replies From View

Rewatching the first Dalek story at the moment.  One thing I never noticed before:  in the fourth episode the Daleks have set up a kind of tempting harvest offering for the Thals with piles of toilet rolls included!  Absolutely hilarious!

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on January 19, 2020, 10:09:32 PM
Rewatching the first Dalek story at the moment.  One thing I never noticed before:  in the fourth episode the Daleks have set up a kind of tempting harvest offering for the Thals with piles of toilet rolls included!  Absolutely hilarious!

Ha! I've never noticed that. Better than those petrified leaves I suppose.

purlieu

No Dalek toilet is complete without a bog roll, just in case visitors come round.

Bad Ambassador

It goes with their sink plungers!!!!

Norton Canes

Also, watch the last scene of the defeated Daleks in their control room. Watch them all very carefully.