Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:06:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Series 26 has arrived.

A look at the extras.

Deanjam

Every disc has the audio slightly out of sync. If any of you get this let me know if yours is the same.

Malcy

Quote from: Deanjam on January 26, 2020, 04:56:19 PM
Every disc has the audio slightly out of sync. If any of you get this let me know if yours is the same.

Crikey, do any of these sets ever come out without problems? That's a big issue this time though.

Deanjam

I'm waiting to see if it's just my set or a wider issue.

daf

I've noticed this happening with most of my blu-rays if you fast forward through them and then press play - you get a slight audio lag.

I just did it now with my copy of Battlefield episode 2 (around 10 minutes in - where he pops the crisp packet) - fast forwarding up to that point causes a miss-match between the audio & video, but if it's played normally it's fine.

The way to fix it is to either press pause and then play (to sort of re-set the synch) - or just press the skip button back a chapter or two & let it play through normally.

Have a fiddle with it - it might be OK.

Deanjam

It definitely didn't help skipping, as I did that. I'll try pausing.

Then I'll have a fiddle.  fnaar

Ahh buggering bollocks, that's a shame to hear. Thought the Beeb would be extra careful after the Tom Baker disc cock-ups.

My set was dispatched by Zoom on Friday so should be arriving tomorrow. Will give it a play and see how it goes.

pigamus

What does Ghost Light look like? I'd heard the original tapes are in a bit of a state.

Deanjam

Quote from: pigamus on January 27, 2020, 12:10:08 AM
What does Ghost Light look like? I'd heard the original tapes are in a bit of a state.

It looked fine. No different to the others from what I watched. But I only watched a bit from each story as I was focused on the audio.

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on January 26, 2020, 11:19:58 PM

Ahh buggering bollocks, that's a shame to hear. Thought the Beeb would be extra careful after the Tom Baker disc cock-ups.

My set was dispatched by Zoom on Friday so should be arriving tomorrow. Will give it a play and see how it goes.

I haven't heard of any issues from other people yet, so it may just be my discs.

Season 12 blu-ray re-release is now up to pre order, to correct the limited run/fuck-ups of the first release:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-The-Collection-Season-12-Blu-ray/dp/B07B82S1CT

Apparently there are only enough extra copies being made to bring it up the amount that the other Season blu-ray releases have had, so get buying if you fancy it.

EDIT: Option to buy now taken done. Maybe Amazon jumped the gun. Shurely it can't have sold out already!

purlieu

Apparently the BBC only made enough to make the numbers up to match the other releases, so it's quite likely Amazon have sold through their allocation. I just picked one up from Zoom, albeit through their eBay page as they don't have it on their website yet.

The Giggling Bean

I've not noticed any issues with mine. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that series though. It's a real shame they pulled the plug when they did, I'd love to have seen a further series building on the strength of S26.

Loved the JNT documentary. Not as "Scandalous" as the book but it didn't slip some of the more gossipy incidents. Made me glad I met him back in 90/91.

Just waiting for an official release date now for the Faceless Ones.

daf

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on February 05, 2020, 04:24:45 PM
It's a real shame they pulled the plug when they did, I'd love to have seen a further series building on the strength of S26.

Quote from: proposed for series 27Earth Aid by Ben Aaronovitch: Intended to feature a new monster called the "Metatraxi", a race of samurai-like insect warriors, this was planned as a story concerning the politics of humanitarian aid. The only significant detail was the idea of the opening, which would have featured Ace as the captain of a starship.

Thin Ice by Marc Platt: Planned as the serial that would see the departure of Ace, this was to see the return of the Ice Warriors and be set in London in 1968.

The third serial was planned as the introduction of the new companion, who would have come across the Doctor in the midst of robbing a country house.

The fourth and final serial was tentatively to be Alixion, by then-newcomer Robin Mukherjee. It would have featured the Doctor playing a series of deadly games on an asteroid, and would have likely led to the Seventh Doctor's regeneration and Sylvester McCoy's departure.

Big Finish recorded some of those in their "Lost Stories" range with Andrew Cartmel returning as script editor for them : Thin Ice  /  Crime of the Century  /  Animal  /  Earth Aid

Quote from: Thin IceThe Doctor and Ace arrive in Russia, 1967. The Russians are hoping to gain an advantage in the Cold War after discovering ancient Martian technology. However, the Ice Warriors want one particularly important artifact back. This will not be a test for the Doctor, but a test for Ace. He believes she may be ready to graduate.

Quote from: Crime of the CenturyThe Doctor has a masterplan that begins in London, Friday 13 October 1989. Cat burglar Raine Creevey infiltrates a fancy dinner party to crack open their safe. That's where she discovers the Doctor. He is gathering rare artifacts and distributing them carefully. Meanwhile, the Soviet Union is invading a country in the Middle East. But a third army has been attacking both sides: noble, insectoid aliens known as the Metatraxi.

Quote from: AnimalMargrave University in 2001, and Raine Creevy is enjoying her first trip into the future.
For the Doctor, there are mysteries to solve: what are the alien creatures imprisoned in the science labs? And what are the true motives of the student Scobie and his followers?
With enemies on all sides, the Doctor teams up with his old friend Brigadier Bambera and the forces of UNIT in a battle for the future of the whole world.

Quote from: Earth AidWelcome aboard the space vessel Vancouver. Its mission: to guard a vast shipment of grain from Earth to the planet Safenesthome. Its Captain is called Ace. She seems a little unsure of herself. In fact, some might almost think she was new to the job... Its medical officer is called simply 'The Doctor', and he's perhaps not all he seems either.
When mysterious ships target the Vancouver, Ace and the Doctor are pushed to the limit. Meanwhile, there's something nasty in the grain containers. And it's not very happy...

mjwilson

Quote from: daf on February 05, 2020, 04:55:49 PM
Big Finish recorded some of those in their "Lost Stories" range with Andrew Cartmel returning as script editor for them : Thin Ice  /  Crime of the Century  /  Animal  /  Earth Aid

They're not particularly strong stories,  unfortunately.

Deanjam

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on February 05, 2020, 04:24:45 PM
I've not noticed any issues with mine. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that series though. It's a real shame they pulled the plug when they did, I'd love to have seen a further series building on the strength of S26.

Loved the JNT documentary. Not as "Scandalous" as the book but it didn't slip some of the more gossipy incidents. Made me glad I met him back in 90/91.

Just waiting for an official release date now for the Faceless Ones.

Turns out my problem was with the new TV I bought last month. The audio is out of sync on certain blurays, including all my Doctor Who ones and I've no idea why. Switched it with an older TV in the house and it's fine. That's progress for you.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: mjwilson on February 05, 2020, 05:52:41 PM
They're not particularly strong stories,  unfortunately.

I listened to them years ago but I don't recall too much about them. Some dodgy gurning in Ghost Light aside, McCoy was really owning the role. I'd love to have seen just one more series giving him the opportunity to build on the character. If they played to their strengths of contemporary or historical settings it may have banked more of the good will that seemed to be gathering in S26.

One slight criticism on the set, how the hell did anyone decide McCoys disc introductions were acceptable? It sounds like they  got him to say random words and just cobbled them together.

daf

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on February 05, 2020, 10:35:06 AM
Season 12 blu-ray re-release is now up to pre order, to correct the limited run/fuck-ups of the first release:

EDIT: Option to buy now taken done. Maybe Amazon jumped the gun. Shurely it can't have sold out already!

Back in stock at Amazon and Zoom

I would urge anyone who wants this to pre-order NOW - as it's highly likely to sell out before the release date!

gatchamandave

Ambient Sheep

Arrrggghhh I don't get my money for another week!

weekender

I'm not sure I'm that bothered about this The Collection range to be honest.

Are the extras really worth it?

Bad Ambassador

Replies From View

I wish they'd stick the new documentaries onto DVD for those of us who already have all the stories on shiny disc and don't have blu ray players.

Malcy

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on February 06, 2020, 09:38:14 PM
I wish they'd stick the new documentaries onto DVD for those of us who already have all the stories on shiny disc and don't have blu ray players.

Just checking, in case you didn't know*, but DVDs are playable on blu ray players - so all those don't need to be binned if/when you get one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* As I didn't - I was digging my heels in sticking with DVD for years because I didn't realise this!

daf

Faceless Ones covers - DVD  / Blu ray  / Steelbook (Blu ray) :

Quote from:  episodes / special features
• Colour Animated Episodes 1-6*
• Black & White Animated Episodes 1-6*
• The Original Episodes 1 & 3*
• Telesnap Reconstructions of Original Episodes 2, 4, 5 & 6*
• Audio commentaries (Animated Episodes 4, 5 & 6, plus Original Episodes 1 & 3)
• Face to Face with the Faceless Ones (Making of)
• Stock Footage from Original Production
• Surviving Film Fragments
• Trailer – Fury from the Deep
• PDFs

*With Remastered Audio by Mark Ayres

Malcy

I quite fancy picking this one up but the animation will have to be good. Can't remember which one I watched last, probably Macra, but it wasn't great. I saw the clip with the Master's mugshot but can't remember the animation.

Edit - this clip https://youtube.com/watch?v=NG2a2tmKTnU

And looking back at the animation for Macra maybe it was just the story I didn't like.

Edit 2 - Toby Hadoke said on Twitter earlier that there was only the budget for commentary on 3 episodes originally.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TobyHadoke/status/1225731564794978304

daf

Since they have two existing episodes, it'd be fun to have an option to watch both side-by side - to see what they added or missed in animating them.

- - - - - - - - -
edit: like this one - here

Replies From View

Interesting.  They deviate much more than I was expecting.  I wonder if the animators chose not to watch the existing episodes before making their own version.

Alberon

I think when they first did this they stuck to production photos and off-air photos, but they've deliberately loosened up lately and gone more cinematic, at least as much as the audio allows.

The Macra actually moved in the animated version for instance.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on February 07, 2020, 07:49:07 PM
I think when they first did this they stuck to production photos and off-air photos, but they've deliberately loosened up lately and gone more cinematic, at least as much as the audio allows.

The Macra actually moved in the animated version for instance.

Yes, this was also very apparent in the scene where Daleks are being put together in Power of the Daleks.

Animating episodes that already exist is an entirely new situation, though.  I imagine it would be distracting to have the framing, the movements and so on of the existing episodes in their minds as they animated them, so I wonder if they pretended they didn't exist as well and animated just from telesnaps as usual.  Maybe they'll tell us one day.