Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just had an email to say the Tom Baker Season 12 box set has been pushed back to 30th March. Not much of a surprise as I think almost all of the classic series Blu-rays have been delayed. I'm just glad they're re-releasing it at all after the initial pressing cock-ups.

Deanjam

Yeah, I got one saying season 14 has been delayed to May 5. Happens every time.

purlieu

From what I've read, the season 12 box had season 10 discs manufactured somehow. In which case, it's a fucking major cockup. How does this sort of thing happen?

Quote from: purlieu on February 27, 2020, 10:07:05 PM
From what I've read, the season 12 box had season 10 discs manufactured somehow. In which case, it's a fucking major cockup. How does this sort of thing happen?

Haha, fuck's sake. Really? It's baffling how much the Beeb are managing to mess these releases up, especially as they're high end limited editions. Put some of that forty quid RRP towards quality control.

Bad Ambassador

Details in the new DWM of the Season 14 box set. New extras include a feature-length biography of Elisabeth Sladen, Whose Doctor Who Revisited, extended interviews with Deep Roy and Philip Hinchcliffe, selected episodes of The Face of Evil and The Talons of Weng-Chiang with Tom Baker commentary and his appearances on Call My Bluff.

As usual there are a few things missing from the DVD releases, save those that have been ported to other Blu-ray sets. Bigger on the Inside (a documentary about the TARDIS from The Masque of Mandragora), Doctor Who Stories: Louise Jameson (repackaged interviews from The Story of Doctor Who, featured on Face), TARDIS-Cam No.6 (short model film from Talons) and the PDF of the 1977 Annual, included on The Hand of Fear.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 05, 2020, 11:48:31 AM
As usual there are a few things missing from the DVD releases, save those that have been ported to other Blu-ray sets... Doctor Who Stories: Louise Jameson (repackaged interviews from The Story of Doctor Who, featured on Face)

No Leela, no deal-a.

purlieu

Those will probably turn up on other boxes, I reckon we might get the Leela one on season 15.

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on February 27, 2020, 10:18:39 PM
Haha, fuck's sake. Really? It's baffling how much the Beeb are managing to mess these releases up, especially as they're high end limited editions. Put some of that forty quid RRP towards quality control.
It's actually Sony who are fucking it up at the pressing plant. The season 12 discs were fine, but had season 10 artwork printed on them. When the copies arrived with the BBC they were checked, the problem spotted and obviously sent back. A few somehow found their way out and some fans have them, but the current release date for the correct discs is currently April 1st. Which is fitting, given how foolish this whole process seems.

Ah fair play, thanks purlieu.

Malcy

The upcoming Faceless Ones animation has added something to it.

Spoiler alert
Not only has Delgado's Master been put on a notice board as wanted as seen in the preview clip but they've added Sacha Dhawan's Master as well now.
[close]

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: purlieu on March 05, 2020, 12:42:59 PM
the current release date for the correct discs is currently April 1st.

It's actually March 30.

purlieu

Your mum's 30 in March. Yeah, you heard.

purlieu

Doctor Who Gets Shot Tragedy Day by Gareth Roberts

A thinly veiled satire. A planet of people who are obsessed with television and whose culture is based around late 20th Century Earth live in a society with a distinct class divide, with even the richer group facing massive cuts in public spending. Celebrities are all actually mindless robots. The company in charge - who bought out the government - is run by a scary far-right racist cult who want to eliminate everyone who doesn't fit their standards from society. The ultimate plan is to turn the population into clones of the main characters in a family sitcom, all white, middle class and inoffensive. The leader is a child who realises he's done wrong by literally growing up. Monsters have been created that eat constantly, as they digest and excrete so fast that they are always hungry for more. (There's also a subplot about some red crystal the First Doctor once picked up, apparently.) It's not very subtle, but it's snappily written, as usual for Roberts. The Doctor is a touch more like Four than Seven - unsurprising, given the author's love of Four - but Bernice is brilliant, and it's nice to finally have Ace back to actually being a fun character again. The guest characters are mostly reasonably well fleshed out. Not bad at all.

Norton Canes

Not sure how to introduce this, except to say... prepare to be astounded.

The Chairs Of Doctor Who

maett

Thanks for that, as someone that watches their DVDs with the info text subs on, this is going to keep me awake until the early hours.

Malcy

Don't think I had ever heard about this before now. Louise Jameson was asked to return as Leela for Baker's last few stories & Davison's first series.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-03-18/doctor-who-leela-return/

Anyone watched The Faceless Ones yet?

The Giggling Bean

I've watched The Faceless Ones twice now. Picked it up on Tuesday as it got took back to the sorting office while I was at work on Monday. I watched the entire 6 part colour version on Tuesday night and split the Black and White version over 2 days.

It's one of those stories I didn't know much about due to the fact it's mostly missing. However I really enjoyed it. The animation appears to have taken a step back after Macra but I'm so grateful they're doing these I'm not going to complain. There's some lovely scenes in the story, including a part in a photo booth that made me laugh out loud. It could easily have been a four parter but padding was part of 60s Who charm.

Whilst changed from the actual on screen design the Chameleons are pretty good. Although you don't get much background on them or even see them as aliens much.

It's really gratifying to see Troughtons DVD releases bulk up. I think I counted 14 stories last night. I'm really looking forward to Fury from the Deep when that comes out. I'm delighted that they're continuing with the animated releases. Mad to think that in a few years time there's the possibility we may be able to watch the full Troughton era (I know we can technically do that we the recons but I find the animation more engaging).

notjosh

From this week's Popbitch:

QuoteDW writes:
"I used to work in an office on Haymarket with both a front and back entrance. When going for a cigarette, I used to take the back entrance so I wouldn't be standing outside on the main road. I certainly didn't expect for the lift doors to open on the ground floor to be confronted by Sylvester McCoy who was trying to get in, explaining to a security guard he was there for a meeting.

"The security guard had no idea who he was or what he was talking about and was getting quite arsey, so I walked Sylv round to the front of the building.

"I confessed I was a bit of a fan, to which he replied: 'That's the best thing about being an old Doctor. I used to save the universe, but now there's always someone in the universe there to save you when you need help.'"

Malcy

That's great. Read that like he was talking to Ace.

Skint so trying to get The Faceless Ones another way until I can afford the Blu Ray.

purlieu

I'm waiting for the BluRay boxes now, not bothering with individual releases, so I'll catch up with them when they come out. The Faceless Ones was one of my favourite of the many novelisations of missing stories, though, so I'm looking forward to it.

Currently trudging through Legacy. Gary Russell and Peladon is not favourable mix.

Norton Canes

Big Finish to release Return Of The Cybermen, the Gerry Davis script which ended up as Revenge Of The Cyberman. Nice trailer.

purlieu

Doctor Who Loses His Head Legacy by Gary Russell

I hate Peladon. I hate the first Peldaon TV story, and the second is only rescued by a surprise twist near the end. As soon as I started reading this book, the introduction by Gary Russell saying how much he loved Peladon lowered my expectations.

On the surface, it's a very complex story with various plot strands, including Ace on the trail of some mercenaries, an evil sentient relic set on ruling the universe, and the usual Federation vs. Aggedor / progressive vs. conservative politics on Peladon. It's actually just a whodunnit, with The Doctor seeking out a murderer on Peladon, with the rest of it as the setting. Gary Russell's first novel, and the back-references are mostly interesting texture, although occasionally crossing into fanwank. It's as much as I'd ever want in a novel (although I know there's worse to come at some point).

Ace is given very little to do, Benny is in good form, The Doctor's characterisation is decent if not spectacular, the guests are a mixed bag, some being well rounded while others are just written out seemingly at random. On the whole, there's a potentially very good book in here, but it relies too heavily on unresolved mysteries all coming together at the end: not an inherently bad thing, but if the overall setting is boring Peladon politics it just makes it frustrating as every cliffhanger is followed by people prattling about Aggedor in the Citadel.

pigamus

Would it be fair to say that cover art for these books was always a little... er... variable?

Actually McCoy's face there is alright but it appears to bear little relationship with his neck.

purlieu

Tragedy Day, upthread, is the only one so far that actually looked like McCoy. Plenty that looked almost right (including this one), and quite a few that looked like McCoy drawn by someone not very good at drawing.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on March 26, 2020, 04:44:28 PM
quite a few that looked like McCoy drawn by someone not very good at drawing.

That's arguably better than not looking like McCoy at all.

pigamus

Quote from: Replies From View on March 28, 2020, 11:33:32 AM
That's arguably better than not looking like McCoy at all.

*cough* White Darkness *cough*

daf

Just come across this in my never-ending trawl of the 1960's music press, thought it might be of interest to fans of the 2nd "Dr. Who" -

Malcy

How did they know the smoke was pink?!

FredNurke

It was just under the blue smoke.

Replies From View