Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:51:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadJefferson

They were just writers who did all sorts of stuff. My school used this.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/38977871?q&versionId=51777079

Malcy

Power Of The Daleks getting a Special Edition release.

QuoteThe six animated episodes replace the 2016 physical and digital release, with new and improved animation and authentic black and white visuals. The latest release also showcases a vast array of exciting new special features, in addition to all of the VAM on the 2016 release.

New additional material includes:

·  Two new documentaries about Power of the Daleks.
·  1993 BBC audio version of The Power of the Daleks narrated by Tom Baker.
·  Raw incidental music.
·  Photogrammetry Featurette.
·  Whicker's World - I Don't Like My Monsters to Have Oedipus Complexes.
·  Daleks - The Early Years: A 1992 documentary presented by Peter Davison.
·  Robin Hood - 1953 Episode: Patrick Troughton's earliest surviving TV appearance.
·  BBC archive footage from BBC regional news, BBC Breakfast, Blue Peter and Newsnight.
·  Previously unreleased animation trailers and animatics.
·  Easter Eggs.
And old favourites including:

·  Audio commentaries by Anneke Wills on each episode
·  Animation test footage
·  Photo Gallery, including previously unreleased and rediscovered full colour on-set photos from 1966.
·  Servants & Masters - The Making of The Power of the Daleks
·  Doctor Who – The Highlanders
+  The Power Of The Daleks: Special Edition is released on 6th July 2020.

https://news.drwho-online.co.uk/The-Power-Of-The-Daleks-Special-Edition-Updated-DVD-Blu-ray-release!.aspx

Alberon

Eh? Have they reanimated bits of it then?

Replies From View

Flippin' eck Tucker

Do it right the first time and focus on releasing the other stories please.

Replies From View

Get Evil of the Daleks done if you want.  Quite happy to fork out for Evil of the Daleks.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on April 28, 2020, 01:41:09 PM

Seems like it. I can't remember much about how good or bad the animation was. I wonder if they'll fix the mistakes with Ben's clothing. I think it was quite inconsistent.

daf

Daleks had their plunger / eggwhisk on the wrong side on one of the cliffhangers - so I expect that's also fixed.

Bad Ambassador

It was rushed quite badly for the original release, so they've gone back and redone some of it so it matches with the other Troughton's they've since done.

Alberon

It does make me wonder why they're holding off on the other Dalek and Cyberman stories. I understand not wanting to do all the 'good' ones first, but why have they done none of the Hartnell ones so far? I try to ignore all the missing episodes rumours as they rarely come to anything (JennaUK on gallifreybase who was going on about episodes returned has, totally surprisingly, dropped off the face of the Earth).

Maybe they're just sticking with the easier to animate ones. I dunno.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on April 28, 2020, 01:57:49 PM
It does make me wonder why they're holding off on the other Dalek and Cyberman stories. I understand not wanting to do all the 'good' ones first, but why have they done none of the Hartnell ones so far? I try to ignore all the missing episodes rumours as they rarely come to anything (JennaUK on gallifreybase who was going on about episodes returned has, totally surprisingly, dropped off the face of the Earth).

Maybe they're just sticking with the easier to animate ones. I dunno.

It's a budget thing apparently. The animators have said historicals are the ones that need the most work done on them and so they will be last to do and only if the preceding releases make enough money.

daf

Quote from: Alberon on April 28, 2020, 01:41:09 PM

Yes - according to producer Charles Norton . . .

QuoteThe animation hasn't just been tweaked. It's been very extensively revised. Big ground up re-build. Huge job. Every shot has been re-composited. Many sections have been re-animated from scratch. In fact, the entire first third of episode 1 has essentially been redone completely anew. That part's unrecognisable now. It'll be a good quarter of an hour in before you'll see any shots that are even close to how they used to look. It's still limited animation of course, made with limited resources. However, it should be twenty times better than it was. It should feel like a new programme and will sit far more comfortably alongside the other Troughton animations we have done since. It's essentially what we set out to do back in 2016, on the original rush-release, but were unable to complete in the time. We've gone in and fixed all the things (well, most of them) that have niggled us since 2016. It's not a completely new animation - not a completely fresh-start - in that we've not scrapped all the original work. There's still lots of the original in there, but it is still a massive revision.

As for the special features, I'm not sure if it's made clear in the press release, but the reconstruction is a completely new one, made by Derek Handley. Additionally, all the surviving footage has been newly restored. There's a little bit more of it now too! Oh, and 'Whicker's World' is from a new 2K scan of the original film negs.

If you liked the colour version, keep hold of the 2016 release, as it won't be on this new edition -

Quote from: Charles NortonThe US colourisation will not be on this release, no. It wasn't really something that was ever originally intended to have a UK release and none of us on the team had any involvement in it. It's probably best viewed in the same way as the colourised versions of films like 'Casablanca' and 'Way Out West'. They're out there for those wish to seek them out, but it's not really representative of how the film-makers originally intended these things to be seen.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on April 28, 2020, 02:00:31 PM
It's a budget thing apparently. The animators have said historicals are the ones that need the most work done on them and so they will be last to do and only if the preceding releases make enough money.

Also I presume that it makes sense to release Troughton ones since all the Troughton models are in the computer and ready to animate.  I'm not sure if the current team have done any Hartnell ones at all yet, so I assume they'd need to start from scratch getting designs done for even the main characters.

notjosh

Sorry to derail, but just curious if anyone can remember if the Doctor has ever had a fag?

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on April 28, 2020, 02:15:34 PM
Yes - according to producer Charles Norton . . .

To be honest, I would like to see this.

The first segment of episode one introduces the second Doctor and the current animation effort doesn't do a good job of it.  I watched it with a friend when the DVD first came out, and she pointed out that you can tell the animators didn't really have a sense of what Troughton was doing on set - you get long stretches where you know you're meant to be seeing crucial character-building work, and the audio would suggest something is going on, but the animation is almost motionless, or the bare minimum to explain the noises you can hear.

I just wish they'd get these things right the first time around and not announce years later that previous efforts had been a massive rush.  All of us want to support these projects, but none of us are made of money.

Replies From View

Quote from: notjosh on April 28, 2020, 02:24:12 PM
Sorry to derail, but just curious if anyone can remember if the Doctor has ever had a fag?

Hasn't happened.  Why would he?  He's meant to be an independent spirit.

He does smoke a pipe in the second ever episode, before being knocked out by a caveman, but that's it as far as that goes.

Troughton does make a "Smoking's very bad for you" comment in The Web of Fear.

crankshaft

We see him smoke a pipe in An Unearthly Child, which is the first and last time we see him smoke onscreen.

In the Telos novella The Cabinet Of Light, an unnamed incarnation of the Doctor is featured, and he smokes several cigarettes during his appearance.

maett

Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I'm certain the Doctor had a fag hanging out the corner of his mouth during the 'Have I the right?; speech in Genesis as his hands were full.

Ah thought I might have misremembered but no

daf

In addition to the First Doctor's pibulous pleasures, the Fourth Doctor took a draw from Christopher Marlowe's pipe in London in 1593 in the book All Done with Mirrors. Lis Shaw also smokes a pipe onscreen in the fanmade video The Zero Imperative (as actress Caroline John smoked one in real life!)

Norton Canes

Malcy

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on April 28, 2020, 02:21:47 PM
Also I presume that it makes sense to release Troughton ones since all the Troughton models are in the computer and ready to animate.  I'm not sure if the current team have done any Hartnell ones at all yet, so I assume they'd need to start from scratch getting designs done for even the main characters.

The way they animate seems to be on a scene by scene basis rather than using models as they did up to Power. The doc on The Faceless Ones is an interesting insight into how they have developed the animation process over the years. Makes me wonder if historicals are much more likely now as different numbers of characters shouldn't make all that much difference.

Deanjam

Quote from: Malcy on April 28, 2020, 03:09:18 PM
Great film that.

Certainly is. I've got the story it's based on.

Replies From View

QuoteAnd old favourites including:

·  Audio commentaries by Anneke Wills on each episode
·  Animation test footage
·  Photo Gallery, including previously unreleased and rediscovered full colour on-set photos from 1966.
·  Servants & Masters - The Making of The Power of the Daleks
·  Doctor Who – The Highlanders
+  The Power Of The Daleks: Special Edition is released on 6th July 2020.

What's The Highlanders extra?  Is it a trailer for a new animation or just a confusingly-titled extra from the previous release that I have forgotten about?

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on April 28, 2020, 05:10:31 PM
What's The Highlanders extra?  Is it a trailer for a new animation or just a confusingly-titled extra from the previous release that I have forgotten about?

It is listed amongst old extras so it seems like it is just existing clips or the soundtrack.

Would be brilliant if they included a full-length recon of the story on this but that seems unlikely.

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on April 28, 2020, 05:21:32 PM
It is listed amongst old extras so it seems like it is just existing clips or the soundtrack.

Would be brilliant if they included a full-length recon of the story on this but that seems unlikely.

Well they often include trailers for future releases so I wondered if it was a clue to a future release rather than an entire animation of the story!

I suppose I could check the extras on the previous release but can't be arsed to go all the way over there.

Edit:  if this includes everything from the previous release (again I haven't fished out my own DVD), there is no previous extra called 'The Highlanders':  https://www.blogtorwho.com/review-the-power-of-the-daleks-dvd/

Alberon

Just checked the back of my copy and nothing about The Highlanders is listed there.

JamesTC

Quote from: Alberon on April 28, 2020, 05:29:06 PM
Just checked the back of my copy and nothing about The Highlanders is listed there.

I did the same with the steelbook and found nothing. Lost in Time is the only thing close; that lists surviving clips on the back.

Replies From View

purlieu

In other news,

QuoteBBC Studios have announced that Doctor Who will be the focus of a new multi-platform story launching later this year.

Time Lord Victorious will see partners including Penguin Random House, Doctor Who Magazine, Titan Comics, Escape Hunt, Big Finish Productions, Eaglemoss Hero Collector, Immersive Everywhere, Maze Theory, BBC Books and BBC Audio, unite to tell a brand new Doctor Who story.

Time Lord Victorious will launch later this year, with products and experiences scheduled to launch over a twelve-week period.

Time Lord Victorious will tell a new and untold story, set within the Dark Times at the start of the universe when even the Eternals were young. Following several Doctors across space and time as they defend their home planet from a terrible race, this is a story like no other.
The story will feature the Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Doctors, companion Rose Tyler and monsters including the Daleks and the Ood, with more to be revealed over the coming months as products are announced.

James Goss, Producer, said
BBC Studios' Doctor Who licensees have come together to tell an amazing epic – one that's full of monsters, fun and heart. All strands of the story unite into a mighty patchwork that ranges from one end of the universe to the next. There's more to be revealed, but the enthusiasm and ideas which the licensees have come up with are breath-taking. It's going to be such fun.
Further information about Time Lord Victorious can be found on DoctorWho.TV, where a timeline of product releases will be collated as products are announced.

Sounds affordable.