Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

City of Death is my favourite Classic Who story so that would have to get my vote. That said I think all of them there are worthy, other than The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances which is let down by the Captain Jack bollocks. Although I've actually warmed to him a little since watching Torchwood - largely the choice to actually give him an element of depth and emotion, even if it wasn't always well done - but I fucking hate him in Who, and he might be at his most insufferable in that story.

Deanjam

Replies From View

Mine is on its way.  I've been rewatching 'The Tenth Planet' today in preparation.

It's not a very good DVD cover, that.

Replies From View

Deanjam

Yes it's awful. It's what they had on the preview images and I hoped they'd change it, but alas no.

Anyway, if anyone's interested it's on two discs and has the usual extras 'making of' 'commentary' 'galleries' 'trailer' etc

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on November 19, 2016, 03:37:09 PM
Anyway, if anyone's interested it's on two discs and has the usual extras 'making of' 'commentary' 'galleries' 'trailer' etc

Well fuck you for getting it before me, that's all I can say.

Alberon

Quote from: Replies From View on November 19, 2016, 03:01:22 PM
Mine is on its way.  I've been rewatching 'The Tenth Planet' today in preparation.

It's not a very good DVD cover, that.

Does it have the usual reversable one with the more range-standard design on the other side?

daf

Blu ray steelbook    &     reverse DVD cover

Deanjam

Yes it's reversible. Same image though.

Replies From View

The reverse image is infinitely preferable.  The Blu-Ray has a better cover but isn't the same proportions as the rest of the DVD range.

My copy won't be sitting in its case anyway.  It'll be in my big album case thing of all Doctor Who DVDs released so far, sitting between two discs of 'The Tenth Planet' and one disc of 'The Underwater Menace'.

Replies From View

Noleedmons

Pissed off this is on BBC America tonight (and had cinema screenings over there) but for us, we have to pay to see it. 
Hoping for a torrent to appear tomorrow.

Malcy

Quote from: Noleedmons on November 19, 2016, 08:09:45 PM
Pissed off this is on BBC America tonight (and had cinema screenings over there) but for us, we have to pay to see it. 

Likewise. Isn't the first instance of America getting Who stuff before us.

Replies From View

TO SELECT AUDIO NAVIGATION, PRESS ENTER NOW, MOTHERFUCKERS.

Mine has arrived and I'm putting it on now.

Replies From View

Quote from: Noleedmons on November 19, 2016, 08:09:45 PM

Yeah, why can't they just be free so that we can get all uppity when they announce they can't fund any more animations like this.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Replies From View on November 20, 2016, 01:30:33 PM
Yeah, why can't they just be free so that we can get all uppity when they announce they can't fund any more animations like this.

But why is it free for the americans whilst we have to pay for it?

Gurke and Hare

I don't think it is - BBC America is carried on cable and satellite, so I think you have to pay a subscription for it.

Deanjam

Also, BBC America co-funded it with Worldwide.

Noleedmons

Quote from: Replies From View on November 20, 2016, 01:30:33 PM
Well it's free in America (if you have cable). Are they not selling it there?
I'm going to get the DVD anyway as the extras, as always look great.
But for some reason the BBC hate to broadcast any old Who (or any old anything). Would have been great on BBC4 last night. 

Replies From View

Quote from: Noleedmons on November 20, 2016, 03:02:11 PM
Well it's free in America (if you have cable).

Gurke and Hare and Deanjam have already explained this.

1) a subscription is needed to watch BBC America, so it's not "free"
2) BBC America and Worldwide funded the project.

Noleedmons

If he has, I can't see it.
Ha you changed your reply.
The BBC isn't free in this county either.
But if that's the way it was funded, then that's totally fine.

weekender

Question: Is there much noticeable difference with Doctor Who on BluRay?

I'm not particularly inclined to get a BluRay player given that my eyesight is fairly bad anyway, and it's really only the possibility of hi-def Who that's making me consider it.

However, as I understand it, the only Doctor Who (I'm ignoring spin-offs like Torchwood) on BluRay is:

• Spearhead
  • The Movie
  • Everything from The Specials onwards
  • Power
Doesn't really seem worth the upgrade to me, unless anyone can convince me otherwise?

Noleedmons

Only have Spearhead on BluRay and the picture quality is fantastic (no production subtitles though. Boo). Don't think it's worth the upgrade based on just Doctor Who output.

Deanjam

Just for Doctor Who I would say don't bother as there's not enough out there for it. Not all blurays are HD. Some are just using the extra data storage capability to cram stuff onto one disc.

I ended up getting one as I like to watch behind the scenes stuff on movies and they pretty much stopped putting them on the DVD. I got an all region DVD-Bluray combi for 99 quid. Since I buy a lot of films/TV it was well worth it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: purlieu on November 10, 2016, 08:08:21 PM
City of Death is my favourite Classic Who story so that would have to get my vote. That said I think all of them there are worthy, other than The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances which is let down by the Captain Jack bollocks. Although I've actually warmed to him a little since watching Torchwood - largely the choice to actually give him an element of depth and emotion, even if it wasn't always well done - but I fucking hate him in Who, and he might be at his most insufferable in that story.

I feel exactly the opposite. Jack was a terminal bore in Torchwood, but great fun in Doctor Who.

Barrowman isn't a particularly good actor, so he could never carry off the angst required of him in Torchwood. But he's very good at playing someone closer to his own cheeky chappie personality, hence why Jack comes across as such a naturally likeable character in Doctor Who.

Replies From View

I can't see 'Power of the Daleks' benefiting from an HD transfer.  The animation is pretty basic and flat, even though the Dalek sequences and some of the rooms are rendered in a more 3D-looking CGI.  The main appeal will be the colour, but I can't see that being a massive pull for people who already have the DVD.

Norton Canes

Gah

Just seen the headline 'Missing Doctor Who episode...' on the BBC site. Heart in mouth for all of three seconds before realising it was a link to the Power release.