Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Logan

Started by DrunkCountry, October 21, 2016, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Logan Noir was a pleasant surprise to find with the digital version.
It looks great. Obviously not a totally different film but it worth watching.

phantom_power

What is the difference then? Just that a colour version already exists?

Dr Rock

I hope they release a silent version next. Even more arty! And I have no idea how to watch it this way unless I buy such an version.

QDRPHNC

Psuedo-sophisticated shite for adults who refuse to grow up.

I thought it was ok, actually.

Kelvin

Quote from: phantom_power on May 18, 2017, 03:25:38 PM

I can't speak for others, but to me it just feels like a gimmick to give the film more artistic credibility, and play off the existing, justifiable belief that it's a more mature sort of superhero film. I don't feel like there's any artistic, stylistic or thematic reason to make it black and white, beyond the narrative that it's a "serious" film. With other black and white films, it's usually done to evoke a time period, a theme, a genre, or because the film was specifically designed to make interesting use of colour, shadows and tone.   

phantom_power

Isn't it the director's choice to do this though, rather than marketers or studio bods? I imagine he is doing it for stylistic or thematic reasons. Obviously it wasn't released initially in black and white because it would have made a fraction of the money, or that would have been a studio concern, so maybe he is doing it the way he originally intended, like Miller and Fury Road

Kelvin

Quote from: phantom_power on May 18, 2017, 03:47:33 PM
Isn't it the director's choice to do this though, rather than marketers or studio bods? I imagine he is doing it for stylistic or thematic reasons. Obviously it wasn't released initially in black and white because it would have made a fraction of the money, or that would have been a studio concern, so maybe he is doing it the way he originally intended, like Miller and Fury Road

It being the director's choice doesn't mean it's more necessary or less pretentious, though. I don't actually care about them doing it. Fill your boots. I just don't think there's any need for it, beyond the most superficial of reasons.     

QDRPHNC

Image > Adjustments > Black and White > Preset > MAXIMUM BLACK

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What Kelvin said.

Even the name is wrong - It's not film noir, it's a western (Wolverine is William Munny, with claws instead of guns). Black & white worked for The Mist, because that was harking back to old sci-fi B-movies, not widescreen Technicolour epics. More to the point, when the central point of the film is how unpleasant all the gory violence is, it's going to lose some of its impact without colour.

momatt

It's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

kidsick5000

Quote from: phantom_power on May 18, 2017, 03:25:38 PM

Really, don't expect a huge difference. It's still a great film (still one of the year's best, for me)
Losing the colour accentuates the lighting.

Would be good if he went the whole hog and went silent.

Worth mentioning this http://extension765.com/soderblogh/18-raiders
Steven Sodbergh transforms Raiders Of The Lost Ark into a silent b/w film with a Trent Reznor soundtrack

QDRPHNC

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 19, 2017, 11:43:53 PM
Really, don't expect a huge difference. It's still a great film (still one of the year's best, for me)
Losing the colour accentuates the lighting.

Would be good if he went the whole hog and went silent.

Worth mentioning this http://extension765.com/soderblogh/18-raiders
Steven Sodbergh transforms Raiders Of The Lost Ark into a silent b/w film with a Trent Reznor soundtrack

Fucking hell, that's brilliant!

kidsick5000

It's one of my favourite finds and I'm surprised it's not more well-known.
(I'm also frustrated at not being able to download it)

Dr Funke

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 21, 2017, 05:25:49 AM
It's one of my favourite finds and I'm surprised it's not more well-known.
(I'm also frustrated at not being able to download it)
May be able to help, have PM'd you.

biggytitbo

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 20, 2017, 03:15:58 AM
Fucking hell, that's brilliant!

It's a very interesting experiment and I had my own go at it by overlaying the color from the Spielberg version and recutting the original soundtrack back on. The results are even better imho.