Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:29:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Rising

Started by Barry Admin, October 26, 2016, 06:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lJ_UPMUGsS8

Let's talk about this superb series, and rejoice that #4 is almost with us. The above trailer got me wildly excited.  Xmas setting, inclues another "mall", although that certainly doesn't seem to be the entirety of the map. Loads of fucking crazy-ass combo weapons,  and no timed progress in this game, not until DLC comes out, anyway.

You can pick up Dead Rising 3 with (basically) all DLC for £13 on Xbox at the minute, well worth it.

Even though zombies have gone mainstream since DR1 a decade ago, and can be pretty annoying in their ubiquity these days, the DR series remains as a Capcom classic. Full of crazy arcade shit, and ludicrous clothing combinations. DR4 will be AMAZING! Timed exclusive so PS4 should get it a few months later, this time, I believe.

Consignia

The first one was ace. I pretty much bought a 360 for one, and don't regret it. It's a very basic game, but it's just so fun. I'm someone who liked the save system and strict time limits, even though they weren't really as strict as made out. I love the fact it's a zombie survival game where the emphasis is on survival, not the zombies.

I liked 2 as well, it didn't have the spark of the original but it was still loads of fun, and in some ways upped the silliness.

I've not played 3 due to not having a Xbone, but I'd love to give it a whack if it gets ported to PS4.

Bhazor

I love any and all photography games and so DR 1 was always going to score high with me. Just a huge playground of Dynasty Warriors scale only with way better AI and design. Then you add the photograpy combo system and its Japanese take on American action films and its just pure fun. DR 2 was also a pretty damn good game with an enjoyably daffy storyline though it was a bit too obvious in reusing the assets of DR1.

DR 3 though was a disapointment. Too much emphasis on overpowered vehicles, cast looks like a gaggle of complete knob heads and it was trying so hard to be anti establishment "I love Green Day, brah".

Bazooka

I have to admit I have never played any entries in the series, to which I am ashamed of. I will have to grab the first one from CEX.

Bhazor

Oh I should say $20 for a straight port of a 10 year old game is a large quantity of bollocks. At least a good truck full.

The fact they managed to toss in a range of bugs and broken features to the point they had to add in a opt in series of beta patches?  A large truck. 18 wheels. Fire decals around the cabin.

Van Dammage

I remember really enjoying the first game and wanting to get around to the rest. Lately (September I think) they've been put on the steam store so I might end up picking them up whenever they decide to go on sale. The first one is 20 squid at the moment, bit much for a game that's so old.

maett

As I've a PS3 I've only ever played the second one and the Off the Record follow up. But I've played through them both umpteen times. Even watched walkthroughs of the first and third games. Really happy #4 is getting a PS4 release, I'll probably buy a console just for this game.
I once played DR 2 for about 34 hours in a 48 hour period, when I finally left my flat I had a nagging feeling I'd left something behind, keys? nope, phone? nope, then it dawned on me in the lift that I'd not made myself a baseball bat with nails stuck in it. Good times!

Currently watching Vash12349 doing a walkthrough of the remastered Dead Rising 1, it looks bloody tedious compared to the second one. The AI of survivors is shocking, glad they got that sorted.

madhair60

Had to delete DR3 or it would have utterly consumed my life.

Played Off the Record for an age on co-op. Prefer the lesser focus on time limits.

Barry Admin

DR3 is just an amazing sandbox. A few problems with it, like the awkwardness of the map, no quick travel, and its generally too easy. But it's so much FUN. Most of the time you just forget about the main story, and bugger about doing side missions, and of course hunting out and testing new weapon blueprints.

AsparagusTrevor

I've never managed to properly get into Dead Rising games due to the ludicrous time-limit mechanic. One wrong move or save at the wrong time and you've completely fucked the ability to play through the story and access lock-off parts of the game. It limits the fun you can have, as you've always got to keep your eye on the timer and not get distracted doing too much sandbox stuff.

It's a shame as I find the gameplay very fun, and I have still wasted a decent amount of time on zombie splattering catharsis.

The original PC release of DR2 was a mess though, probably the buggiest release I've ever played. For starters you had to actually change the Windows sound quality to even get the game to boot up, and it didn't have joypad compatibility (without using third party keymapper software). I picked up Off the Record cheap in a Steam sale and even that had the same issues.

Consignia

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 28, 2016, 01:04:55 PM
I've never managed to properly get into Dead Rising games due to the ludicrous time-limit mechanic. One wrong move or save at the wrong time and you've completely fucked the ability to play through the story and access lock-off parts of the game. It limits the fun you can have, as you've always got to keep your eye on the timer and not get distracted doing too much sandbox stuff.

To be fair, it is only a short have and you keep your stats when you die or reach an end. It does try to encourage you to give it multiple playthroughs .