Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:29:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Installing Rockbox

Started by anant, October 26, 2016, 11:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anant

I've just ordered this budget DAP to replace a deceased ipod classic...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/XDUOO%C2%AE-JZ4760B-Lossless-Supports-Formats/dp/B017K9XVX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477518237&sr=8-1&keywords=xduoo+x3

Got it in haste partly because I heard Rockbox can be installed, transforming it into a much better device than it already is. Trouble is, I assumed the installation process would be simple but having belatedly looked into it, apparently not. Looks a bit complicated to me. I'm a bit worried that this (relatively) expensive purchase will be destroyed via my tech ineptitude.

So, has anyone ever installed Rockbox on their devices? Is it easier than I think? I've looked in vain for tutorials a 5 year old could understand.

I may not get an answer but at least I've started possibly the most boring thread in CaB history. That's something surely.

QRDL

Long time ago I installed it on a 30GB Cowon/iAudio player. All I remember is that I was worried, but everything worked as described in the tutorial. Playing Doom on that thing wasn't very comfortable, but it ran smooth as butter.

hermitical

put it on one of those little sansa clip devices, nice and easy following a tutorial

anant

Well, I tried installing it today and it hasn't worked. After about 90 minutes trying to make sure I understood what I was doing all I got on the screen of my device was 'Loading firmware...Error - file not found'. Managed to restore the player to it's original state so at least I haven't bricked it.

Any ideas? As you've probably gathered I'm technologically useless.

Dropshadow

I installed Rockbox on a Sansa Clip+ I had a few years ago. It was an easy install and it solved a few problems I was having with the original operating system. God, but that was a pig of an MP3 player despite the 5-star reviews on Amazon. Battery packed up after 5 months. Never again.

anant

Fixed now. My God what a difference it makes, sounds amazing.

Shit Good Nose

I'm late to this thread, but am glad to see you got it sorted.

Yep, Rockbox is amazing.  The first time I tried it, on a Cowon iAudio X5, I opted for the dual boot (so you could either boot up in Rockbox or the original X5 firmware) but, literally the next day I got shot of the X5 firmware and stuck with Rockbox.

Unfortunately no one seems to be doing anything with many of the newer high-res players, which is a shame as something like the Calyx M with Rockbox would potentially be a world beater.