Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:42:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Civilization 6

Started by hedgehog90, October 28, 2016, 07:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 07, 2020, 01:17:53 PM
eShop prices are set by publishers, rather than Nintendo. However, in any case, the Switch version is cheaper that the standard Steam price and comes with more content (e.g. a few nations and scenarios that are paid DLC on other platforms). It's been on sale at least a couple of times and the physical version is easy to pick up for around £27.

Also, the DLC is cheaper too. The two expansions come as a bundle on the Switch at £33 – going from memory that's nearly half the price as the PC version.  iOS, the Gathering Storm is just shy of £40...

OK fair enough. I still don't want to pay £45, but will look out for sales.

Pink Gregory

I suppose what I mean is that I find the combat a bit tedious but for the game that it's in it serves its purpose.  Endless Legend has a system in which every clash of armies is it's own little turn based tactics battle; and while it works with EL's focus on customised units and equipment, I can imagine any similar complexity in Civ would slow the game down to an unworkable degree.

All of the little tweaks in place like terrain, adjacency, war weariness and experience are somewhat effective in providing a more dynamic experience - and one-unit-per-tile is infinitely preferable to the old unit stacks - but I don't know, I just wish there could be more to fielding armies than just bashing them against other armies.

falafel

Quote from: Dewt on January 07, 2020, 01:36:19 PM
Is it sluggish on Switch?

It got really sluggish towards the end of my first game, but that seemed to be associated with going ages without quitting. Save-quit-reload every few hours made life a lot easier. It's just not the normal way I would play with Switch where you just go on standby most of the time if you aren't flitting between games.

Dog Botherer

got gifted this for christmas, had never played any Civ titles but had always been interested.

spent an hour going absolutely nowhere, got bored, fired up CK2 for the first time in a year. was up until almost 4 in the morning, completely fucked for work but so worth it.

guess i just don't like Civ.

Pink Gregory

Civ seems to be all about decisions on your turn and immediate consequences; rather than a simulation that you can turn different cogs in for unexpected results.

Despite the historical trappings Civilization is very abstracted in terms of the relationship with what it's supposed to be representing.  I can see why that could be unappealing.

falafel

Quote from: Dog Botherer on January 11, 2020, 07:30:48 PM
got gifted this for christmas, had never played any Civ titles but had always been interested.

spent an hour going absolutely nowhere, got bored, fired up CK2 for the first time in a year. was up until almost 4 in the morning, completely fucked for work but so worth it.

Yesh, i get the exact opposite experience. Horses fuck horses.

king_tubby

If you enjoy the Rhye's mod for Civ IV, there's been a bloke updating and improving it for the last ten years or so.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/rhyes-and-fall-dawn-of-civilization.452/

Kryton

Quote from: Dog Botherer on January 11, 2020, 07:30:48 PM

I'm the same - Never really 'got' Civ games. I understand them and find them okay and can see why they're addictive, but CK2 for me at least is far, far better. It's much more immersive if not a little bit complex. But it's probably the BEST story-teller generator game I've ever played besides say Rimworld or the Sims.

And yeah I did exactly the same Dogbotherer, not touched CK2 for a while then on a whim decided to play and time just melted away until it was 3-4am. It's like crack.

Pink Gregory

What do people think of the online play option for game speed?

I didn't realise it was on by default and started a game with it on, just me, a friend and the rest AI on a small map.

Feels perhaps a little too fast and eras always seem to be ending in three turns but at the same time it really invigorates your game, leaving very little downtime where one is just clicking next turn.  Makes sense for online play if you can only commit a few hours at a time.

But then it feels like unit upgrades happen so quickly that there's much more of a technological arms race rather than shifting balances of power across the map, most un-boosted civics take about 6 turns if your culture is relatively good (admittedly I am playing as a culture focused civ), and technologies/policies seem to come and go without making much of a difference because they come so regularly.

Mango Chimes

It feels a little broken, moving too fast for the game itself. Era specific things like unique units come and go so fast they're obsolete by the time you build them. Exploring becomes worthless as you soon enough see the whole map through alliances or satellite. World wonders pass by without much effort.

Part of me wonders how much it actually just exposes the flaws of the game. It's easier to notice rubbish AI when a conflict takes minutes rather than hours.

Mobius

I finally finished a game. I won a cultural victory, not really sure how. I've struggled to get far in the past as I kept resetting because I wasn't sure what I was doing, the enemy had 3x as many cities as me etc...

Is there much variation between different nations? Because having played until about 2050, built everything etc I'm not sure if I can be bothered to play any more :(

Ham Bap

I'm loving this (on the PS4). It's all I've played since Christmas.
Is the perfect game for me as I don't bother with multiplayer games.
Perfect to unwind and take my time with, and listen to radio and podcasts.

Mobius

Can anyone recommend some similar games to Civilisation? I like turn based, epic feeling lots of building and management and stuff

I tried Crusader Kings 2 but it just seems too dense and detailed and I LITERALLY have no idea what the fuck I am doing.

Zetetic

Pink Gregory

Endless Legend or Endless Space.  Though they are ao.ewhat more detailed, but the factions are more varied and the UI is a dream to navigate.

Schmo Diddley

Quote from: Mobius on February 06, 2020, 08:40:26 PM
Can anyone recommend some similar games to Civilisation? I like turn based, epic feeling lots of building and management and stuff

I tried Crusader Kings 2 but it just seems too dense and detailed and I LITERALLY have no idea what the fuck I am doing.

Europa Universalis 4. It's made by the same people as Crusader Kings and also very dense, but easier to grasp what's going on as you're still controlling countries rather than families or dynasties.

The fact you can play as any one of about 200 nations gives you so many options of how to play - it takes some getting used to but is definitely worth it.

Mobius

Thanks lads. Endless Legend sounds cool, and I'll usually plump for Fantasy over Sci Fi given the choice. Will see if it's on Steam later when I finish work.

I love Civ but think my main problem is after a few games, feels like doing the same thing over and over. Like you just learn the same techs, build same stuff. Not much narrative stuff really? Compared to say Crusader Kings 2 which is always feeding you little story bits and that to flesh the world out. Does Endless Space / Europa have that?

Kryton

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 10, 2020, 05:46:23 AM
Endless Legend or Endless Space.  Though they are ao.ewhat more detailed, but the factions are more varied and the UI is a dream to navigate.

Endless legend is good. But fuck Endless Space off for Stellaris and some DLC. Much better game.
Stellaris is a CK2-lite sci-fi game in space. Not as in-depth as CK2, but each game feels unique.

Kryton

Quote from: Mobius on February 06, 2020, 08:40:26 PM

Takes time. But don't start at as a mega emperor. Start as Ireland or something. I'd be happy to teach you how to play it if you PM me. No worries.
Essentially it's about electing your advisors, keeping factions AND vassals under control, knocking the fuck out of rival religions and managing a realm/family, whilst slowly conquering things and gaining titles/demesnes

But it's mostly about your character's story.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Beginner%27s_guide

Guide here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=76&v=Fng86hr9ho8&feature=emb_title

Tutorial

Ignatius_S

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 07, 2020, 03:41:02 PM
OK fair enough. I still don't want to pay £45, but will look out for sales.

It's on sale at the eShop until 1 Match - 50% off so £22.49.

MojoJojo

Cheers my dears... not sure if it will break my Slay the Spire addiction but I'll give it a go.

Pink Gregory

Loadsa good stuff from around the Civ II-III era on Gog.com.

Most of the Paradox lot are there (Victoria/Europa Universalis), yer Master of Orions, yer Imperialisms, yer Sid Meier's Colonization and such.

Even Call to Power II which as I understand is an odd Civ II spin-off

evilcommiedictator

The Call To Powers were CIV games published by Activision when they brought the name from Avalon Hill (Microprose brought the option to use the name), they're OK but they try and do too much I think, like allowing you to build cities in the late game in orbit and underwater for no real reason