Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Started by Steven, October 29, 2016, 08:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

Oo,
Spoiler alert
that CIA bloke
[close]
has me shaking my fist at the screen!
Spoiler alert
I guess season 2 sees Todd and Farah rescue Dirk. I was hoping they'd go straight into the next case, but I suppose not.
[close]

Lydia Spring was a rubbish actress, I suppose that didn't worry them much since she was playing a dog for 95% of her screen time.

Hemulen

Man, I really wanted to hate this series. The complete disregard for the source material, reimagining Dirk as a hyperactive child (surely just pandering to the Tumblr demographic), bloody AMERICANS everywhere... And yet, I think probably because (rather than in spite) of how unfaithful it is, it's actually miles ahead of any other Dirk Gently adaptation. As soon as I let go of my preconceived notions of what the show ought to be, I had a really wonderful time with it. Funny, baffling, occasionally poignant and unremittingly weird – everything that makes the novels so great, in fact.

checkoutgirl

I've started watching this in a two way death pact. Only two episodes in and I'm assuming the plot is supposed to be barely decipherable at this early stage. Dirk is annoying me slightly but I'm sure the character was written that way by Douglas.

Is this worth sticking with?

Joy Nktonga

Yes it is. It stays all barely decipherable right 'til the end then *BLAM* it comes together. It was excellent. IMHO and all that, of course.

Small Man Big Horse

I really enjoyed the US series and it has a very satisfying ending (at least now we know a second season is coming). I watched the BBC4 episodes a couple of weeks ago and liked them too but think the US version is superior, Managan and Boyd weren't sympathetic enough for me to really get on board with the show, indeed both were pretty cuntish at times, especially to Boyd's poor old girlfriend.

samadriel

I loved how much of a prick Mangan's DG was, but I think that's because the UK Dirk Gently was much more of a comedy than the US show, which is occasionally amusing, but much more a supernatural mystery show.

Small Man Big Horse

He was just too much of a prick for me, they did have a couple of scenes in the final episode which showed a softer side, but in general he was irritating enough to spoil the show for me a little. Not that the US Dirk Gently is that great either, both shows haven't quite got the character to work.

checkoutgirl

Finished episode 3 last night and still on the fence. There was a convincing emotional scene that impressed me but the amount of random characters popping in and out makes it hard to know what's going on. I can often barely follow the most basic of plots because I'm an absolute simpleton so my brain is being stretched a fair bit.

Still, only 5 episodes to go but if the finale isn't satisfying I'll be a bit cross.

samadriel

The holistic "go where life takes you" aspect of the show made its confusing-ness less of an issue for me; I just let the barrage of events wash over me and trusted that it'll come together in the end. And it did, so... great.

Robot DeNiro

I also really enjoyed this show.  While on the surface being nothing like the books (violent, American, youthy etc) it kept the fundamental content of them (a tricksy, clever sci-fi fantasy mystery made up of seemingly unconnected random stuff that all comes together at the end).

It took me a while to warm to Dirk but I ended up really liking him.  Again, they got the essential parts of the character right - he was vain, cowardly and infuriating, and he simultaneously revelled in, was annoyed by and slightly ashamed of the madness that constantly surrounds him.  It was a bit like when Matt Smith was cast as the Doctor - at first I thought it wouldn't work, but it became apparent this was the character I had in my head, just in unfamiliar (and more TV-friendly) packaging. 

My only criticism is that it felt perhaps one episode too long.  Once
Spoiler alert
the time travel mystery was solved
[close]
in episode 7, there wasn't much left to do in episode 8, which felt rather anticlimactic, with too much time devoted to
Spoiler alert
the cliffhanger leading into season 2.
[close]

checkoutgirl

Finished this a couple of weeks ago and I don't think I would have bothered with this if I knew how it would turn out. It's not bad but also not good enough for me to bother with. I have a bit of a problem with multiple time travel jumps. I can handle the paradox of one time jump like in Terminator because there's just one jump and then it goes from there. But when there's loads of them I get really confused and my brain starts to reject the story.

It was okay I suppose.

Steven

2nd series of this about for anyone who's arsed.

Small Man Big Horse

Well given the largely favourable feedback I'm guessing a good few people will be. I watched it yesterday and really enjoyed it, it's becoming one of my favourite shows and I love the fast pace and all round insanity of it.

Joy Nktonga

Is it not on Netflix this time? That's where I watched the first series and I thought it was the only place to see it at the time.

MojoJojo

Joy Nktonga

Thank you MoJo.

Edit - No, not there either. The thanks still stand though MJJJ.

jobotic

Oh for fuc...

Won't be watching this then.

Small Man Big Horse

All the news pieces I can find say it's on Netflix outside of the US, so maybe there's just a small delay or something like that.

jobotic

BritishHobo

If it's the same as last year, it won't be on Netflix until the end of the first season, and then it'll all go up at once.

Loved the first episode, looks like it's going to be a truly bonkers season with that fantasy world at the beginning, all flying trains and stuff.

VelourSpirit

https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/status/942872132815425536
It's been cancelled, which is a huge shame since I loved series 1 and I've been waiting for Netflix to add series 2. Apparently there's still a chance it could come back if the Netflix numbers are good. How was series 2 anyway, if anyone watched it?

BritishHobo

Genuinely gutted by that, in a way I never have been with a shoe cancellation before. I still have the finale to watch, but season 2 of Dirk Gently for me has been a show in its prime, packed full of ideas and an unavoidable enthusiasm for further exploring its world and characters. It's been incredible, and it's a real shame to see it put out to pasture when there's still so much potential.

God knows why they're waiting until January 5th to stick it on Netflix when last year they did it the day after the finale, but I'll be watching it all the way through again on Netflix to help the effort for them to potentially get involved. Considering leaving the finale until the end of that watchthrough.

samadriel

Was there any advertising for this? I had no idea it was happening until a friend on FB mentioned it in passing. I hope Netflix saves its bacon, I loved season 1.

BritishHobo

Watched the last episode this morning, loved it, felt gutted all over again to lose such a wonderful and inventive show.

Now all this stuff's come about out Max Landis being an absolute shitbag and physically and mentally abusing countless women, basically an open secret in LA. To be honest, I can't find myself all that surprised.

Isnt Anything

a quite literal case of 'and this is why we can't have nice things.'

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 24, 2017, 12:53:49 PM
Watched the last episode this morning, loved it, felt gutted all over again to lose such a wonderful and inventive show.

Now all this stuff's come about out Max Landis being an absolute shitbag and physically and mentally abusing countless women, basically an open secret in LA. To be honest, I can't find myself all that surprised.

Yeesh, that's depressing. And possibly why the show got cancelled, though I know low ratings were a factor too.

kidsick5000

They tried promoting it through the bbca Doctor Who instagram.

But even if the ratings were half-way decent, the Max Landis stuff would be enough to kill it.

Even DC Comics have had his work removed

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/25/dc-comics-remove-max-landis-superman-story-holiday-special-2017/

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Season Two was good. Pity. 

Can belching fonts of harassment and abuse just please not make things I like?

Mr_Simnock

Just the last episode of season 2 to watch and really loved it, bloody shame there will be no more.

Mister Six

Shame - I only just saw series one and loved it. Hope series two has something close to a proper resolution and isn't just another cliffhanger.