Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands/Genres You've Grown Out Of

Started by A Car With No Doors, October 30, 2016, 06:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Two years back, I got really into Mark E Smith's band of balding session musicians The Fall and digested all of their discography ferociously. I was one of those people who believed yer bloke was some kind of genius, a "maverick" and "legend" and all that spiel, even lapping up tales of disappointing, half-arsed live gigs and mediocre albums as somehow being something that made MES some kind of iconoclast.

One day it stopped. Now I can't fucking stand them: horrible shite. It's funny how things change, perhaps it's due to the most recent material sounding like plodding indie rock with Smith's half-asleep dribblings slathered over it in the editing room. All I know is the entire concept of the "Fall fan", particularly the one who thinks everything the band has done is some kind of great masterstroke that nobody else gets but them, makes me feel depressed. Ironic considering how I was so close to being one myself.

What bands have YOU suddenly felt a sea change over? And why?

Spiteface

Radiohead.

Honestly, once in a blue moon I will throw The Bends, OK Computer or Kid A on, and remember how good they were during that stretch, but after Kid A, I was less enthusiastic about each album, and I just struggled to see what all the fuss was over "In Rainbows" - I was distinctly underwhelmed, aside from Nude which, having had a bootleg of that song from 1998, I was bitterly disappointed with[nb]On a side note, I prey to god they NEVER go near Big Boots again.[/nb] The King of Limbs was a load of tuneless nothing, and basically after about 2003-ish I think I simply grew out of Radiohead, but it took a few years more before I could admit it to myself. Every bit of praise I saw heaped upon them I felt was completely undeserved, and they just became this odd acceptable face of "experimental" or "challenging" music, for people to write wanky comments about on YouTube. And Billy Corgan openly telling people to pirate Machina 2 was a far ballsier move than Radiohead's release of "In Rainbows".

I have not heard the newest one, I got burned so much by the last couple. It might be good, but Radiohead lost it, to me.

greenman

A lot of beloved CaB indie, XTC, Teenage Fan club, Felt, etc I'v not gone as far as actively disliking them but bar the odd track(Sparky's Dream, Making Plans for Nigel, etc) theres just not enough interest there to go though with listening to albums. Doesn't help I spose that I wasn't ever really an indieboy listening to this stuff when I was 13, the Fine Young Cannibals and Aha have more nostalgic pull.

Brundle-Fly

Oi

Probably the only albums in my record collection that I rarely revisit. I still have affection, (if you can call it that)?, for The Good, The Bad And The 4-Skins and some of the sillier end of Oi. The 'Pathetique' genre: Spodgenessabounds, Toy Dolls, Peter & The Test Tube Babies as it was the perfect rebellion music for a teenager in 1981 but today as an adult it really sounds utterly moronic. 

Sham 69 still hold up though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: greenman on October 30, 2016, 06:53:45 PM
A lot of beloved CaB indie, XTC, Teenage Fan club, Felt, etc I'v not gone as far as actively disliking them but bar the odd track(Sparky's Dream, Making Plans for Nigel, etc) theres just not enough interest there to go though with listening to albums. Doesn't help I spose that I wasn't ever really an indieboy listening to this stuff when I was 13, the Fine Young Cannibals and Aha have more nostalgic pull.

How can you grow out of something that you were never into much in the first place?

thraxx

The Cure were the first band that I got into in about 1989 and I bought everything, learned to play the guitar and bass by listening to their records over and over again.  Then I was driving in my car in about 1995, listening to the Paris live album and I was suddenly very grated by his voice and whining, I turned it off and have never really been back since.  Everything they released since then has been more or less complete toss anyway, so not missed out on much.

Puce Moment

Billy Childish and the whole Medway thing.

I do like to listen to Thee Headcoatees and The Delmonas, but a lot of the derivations of Billy Childish bands, with their different names but similar sound, is tiresome. I think there are maybe two or three Headcoats songs I would throw on because they are great ('Art or Arse?' and 'The Bitter Cup' come to mind) but I sold my Medway stuff a few years to a very happy collector after spending years acquiring tons of it.

purlieu

Quote from: Spiteface on October 30, 2016, 06:39:11 PM
Radiohead.

Honestly, once in a blue moon I will throw The Bends, OK Computer or Kid A on, and remember how good they were during that stretch, but after Kid A, I was less enthusiastic about each album, and I just struggled to see what all the fuss was over "In Rainbows" - I was distinctly underwhelmed, aside from Nude which, having had a bootleg of that song from 1998, I was bitterly disappointed with[nb]On a side note, I prey to god they NEVER go near Big Boots again.[/nb] The King of Limbs was a load of tuneless nothing, and basically after about 2003-ish I think I simply grew out of Radiohead, but it took a few years more before I could admit it to myself. Every bit of praise I saw heaped upon them I felt was completely undeserved, and they just became this odd acceptable face of "experimental" or "challenging" music, for people to write wanky comments about on YouTube. And Billy Corgan openly telling people to pirate Machina 2 was a far ballsier move than Radiohead's release of "In Rainbows".

I have not heard the newest one, I got burned so much by the last couple. It might be good, but Radiohead lost it, to me.
Yeah, this. I'm one of the few who owns Pablo Honey out of genuine enjoyment rather than for the sake of completion (I actively avoid doing that these days), and I own all the albums from there up to Amnesiac, and when I put them on I do genuinely enjoy them. But it's so, so rare that I actually get the desire to actually do that anymore. Everything since then has left me absurdly underwhelmed, to the extent that I genuinely can't hear why people are enjoying it. The new one is definitely the one I've enjoyed the most, but not enough that I'd actually buy it. I love Reckoner, rather like Scatterbrain, and Nude is obviously a great song, admittedly not done anywhere near as well as they could. But otherwise I just try to block them out. The scary portion of their fanbase has only managed to make it worse for me.

Otherwise, a lot of the post-hardcore related genres. There's some horribly nasty juvenile shit there that I can't stand anymore, but also a fair amount of stuff that, again, I'll probably listen to and think 'oh yeah this was quite good' but will never actually choose to put on. I still like a few of the British groups - Million Dead, Reuben, Yourcodenameis:milo etc. - and a couple of US emo bands - Brand New, American Football, and actually the first My Chemical Romance album - but there's a massive pile of CDs I've sold off because I just don't relate to the feel of them at all anymore. Stuff like Alexisonfire and Norma Jean I'll occasionally put on on YouTube when I'm drunk and go 'oh yeah this song!' but would never seriously consider listening to an album of.

Almost all early '00s-style post-rock. I did go through a stage of loving GYBE and Explosions in the Sky and the rest of them. Nowadays I find it mind-numbingly dull. I don't get the point of it. I actually like a lot of vocal post-rock - Talk Talk, Bark Psychosis, Silver Mt Zion, Sigur Ros, Ataxia - but the instrumental repetition to crescendo type stuff, I can't even work out what it was that I liked in it.

Gradual Decline

Heavy Metal, generally. Countless CDs thrown in the bin, no drama.

Quote from: purlieu on October 30, 2016, 08:14:18 PM
Norma Jean

Those bloody song titles, though.

Serge

P.J. Harvey. Absolutely adored her for years, then one day, a couple of years after it'd come out, I was listening to 'Stories from The City, Stories From The Sea' and suddenly realised I didn't like it. 'White Chalk' was kind of ok, but 'Let England Shake' just left me cold, despite all the plaudits it got. I still like the first three albums, but can't be bothered with anything beyond that.

mobias

The Prodigy. I went through a phase in the mid to late 90's when I loved them. Now I just find their stuff really boring. I still love all the other big dance acts from that time I was massively into - Underworld, The Chems, Leftfield and others, all just as good now as it was then, but the Prodigy just haven't aged well for me at all. I still think Liam Howlett is an incredibly talented bloke but I think he's wasted that talent trying to eternally write 'scary' and 'nasty' electronic music boy racers and 16 year Euro kids can play to scare their parents.   

I hate to say this but another band I loved for decades but who I also don't listen to at all these days is Kraftwerk. I mean I was obsessed with them for a while in the early 90's, round about the time The Mix came out, long before the internet fuelled their current untouchable god like status (they had that status back then too of course but it wasn't like it is these days). My opinion of Ralf Hutter is fairly low now, which doesn't help.

I grew up listening to a lot of prog, which I hardly touch at all now. I still appreciate the good stuff and have a decent knowledge of it but don't listen to it at all hardly. Occasionally I'll look stuff up I used to listen to a lot on Spotify and give it a go but I don't get as much out of it as I used to. Peter Gabriel is probably a good example of that. I went through a phase of being so into his albums but he seems very much of his time in a weird sort of way. That time being the late 80's and early 90's for me.

purlieu

Quote from: Gradual Decline on October 30, 2016, 08:28:26 PM
Those bloody song titles, though.
If you mean the second album with all the daft portmanteau titles, I could never stand that album even at the time. Possibly the worst mixed album I have ever heard in my life.

Phil_A

Belle & Sebastian. Just can't be arsed with them now.

Someone gave me a spare ticket for their Albert Hall anniversary show earlier this year, and while I still got a nostalgic buzz from the old songs, it also reminded my what I can't stand about the band as they are now.

I find Stuart Murdoch a bit of an embarrassment to be quite honest. He has the demeanour of a man who has never come to terms with not being in his twenties any more despite being forty-odd(?), and also seems to've adopted the voice and mannerisms of Limmy's vlogger character. It's pretty unbearable.

greenman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 30, 2016, 07:03:38 PM
How can you grow out of something that you were never into much in the first place?

I was into it a decent amount(although I wouldn't call any of them a favourite band and a lot of listening was via friends albums) just somewhat latter and never really defined myself publically by such music.

Quote from: mobiasI hate to say this but another band I loved for decades but who I also don't listen to at all these days is Kraftwerk. I mean I was obsessed with them for a while in the early 90's, round about the time The Mix came out, long before the internet fuelled their current untouchable god like status (they had that status back then too of course but it wasn't like it is these days). My opinion of Ralf Hutter is fairly low now, which doesn't help.

I would guess that's pretty common with them often being a gateway to the wider krautrock world and then Can, Neu, etc taking over in peoples estimations, personally the first couple of albums are all I listen to much now.

Jockice

The Fall and Morrissey, or specifically their new stuff. I own practically everything both artist have done but have had CDs of their last albums in the glove compartment of my car for well over a year and haven't played either of them yet. I keep promising myself I'll play them but haven't as yet and possibly never will.

At least I actually was a fan of them though, as my music collection is littered with stuff I really REALLY tried hard to like, almost convinced myself I did then had to finally admit to myself that apart from the odd track I just didn't get them. Gang Of Four, Prefab Sprout, REM, several similar American bands of the late eighties, quite a bit of stuff on Warp....

holyzombiejesus

Arab Strap. I mentioned these in the 'what are you listening to' thread as I was surprised how much I liked their recent compilation but, generally, I've definitely grown out of them. I was so in to these, particularly Philophobia, but I just don't feel that angst any more. I don't have that turmoil in my stomach that would only cease when I was drinking strong lager and binging on Piglet or Packs of Three or Autumnal or Here We Go. I stil think they're truly great songs and I wouldn't sell the records or anything but as a happily married 45 year old father-to-be, they don't really speak to me anymore.

There's a lot of indie that I used to like that I doubt I could stomach any more. In fact, the other day, I was putting a load of old 7"s on Discogs whilst listening to Nils Frahm like a boring old cunt. I do still like some stuff but the more chaotic fizzy stuff leaves me a bit cold nowadays.

I do get really in to buying specific types of music or labels and then have some Damascene moment when I realise that I have 80 LPs that I don't ever really listen to and only buy because I'm a sad record collector. I then usually sell them for 1/5 of the price I paid. I recently sold nearly all my Morr Music records (even though they had matching spines) and did the same a couple of years back with loads of the old blues album I'd binge bought, ditto with some electronic-y hiphop stuff. Not sure if that classes as 'growing out' of a genre though, more buying stuff that I didn't quite love in the first place.

purlieu

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 31, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
I do get really in to buying specific types of music or labels and then have some Damascene moment when I realise that I have 80 LPs that I don't ever really listen to and only buy because I'm a sad record collector. I then usually sell them for 1/5 of the price I paid.
This is what I've done a lot in the past. I end up having to avoid that genre for a while because listening to it just reminds me of my over-indulgence. These days I try to be really, really selective about everything I buy, and not to trust first instincts: because something sounds interesting doesn't mean I'm going to actually love the album.

the science eel

Two mentions of The Fall so far! I mean, their recent stuff hasn't been much cop but they had one hell of a run. All gold from 1978 to 1986, then between 10 and 25 years more depending on how discerning you are.

I used to think MES was in touch with something special and mysterious and bought into all his claptrap. Same with Roky Erickson, for example. Something happens when you get older and have more life experience - some of the magic disappears. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

Serge

Quote from: mobias on October 30, 2016, 08:46:13 PMMy opinion of Ralf Hutter is fairly low now, which doesn't help.

Interesting...any particular reason?

EDIT: Ha, I posted that whilst completely forgetting who I had in my avatar...

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: the science eel on October 31, 2016, 01:53:12 PM
Two mentions of The Fall so far! I mean, their recent stuff hasn't been much cop but they had one hell of a run. All gold from 1978 to 1986, then between 10 and 25 years more depending on how discerning you are.

I used to think MES was in touch with something special and mysterious and bought into all his claptrap. Same with Roky Erickson, for example. Something happens when you get older and have more life experience - some of the magic disappears. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

This. Exactly this. I first started listening to The Fall in 1980, and have been listening to them ever since, for quite a few years with a fervour that was positively Peelish. But for the last year or so, I've found myself listening to them less and less often, and have played this year's "Wise Old Man" release a grand total of twice. It doesn't help that Mark E. Smith comes across as such a massive arsehole nowadays. I last saw him on a superfluous segment on channel 4 news looking and sounding like the long-term alcoholic you avoid in your local boozer (the interview was filmed in the pub, natch), spouting a lot of UKIPpy bollocks about refugees. Steve Hanley and Brix's biogs don't really paint him in a positive light, either. Maybe he'll surprise us all and the next Fall album will be another "This Nation's Saving Grace".Or mayhaps not.   

Puce Moment

All the way through the 70s and 80s they are just fucking great, and then by Extricate things turn sour for me, and although there are some great post-80s tracks, they are never a band I listen to with any feeling of dedication.

I walked out of their recent show at Stewart Lee's ATP, opting instead for some improvised jazz in a different room, and I felt all the better for it.

the science eel

There are about 10 really good Fall tracks from the last 10 years, mind. Something genuinely unique still happens from time to time when you put that man in a room with a bunch of well-drilled musicians!

Between the ages of about 13 and 18 I thought Radiohead were the pinnacle of music - and this is considering that I'm talking about a period that covers the release of Hail of The Thief - but I simply lost my taste for them. I can't deny that they are a special group, but I think they'd done everything they were going to do with Kid A/Amnesiac and have since done nothing but pay tribute to that period. Thom Yorke's miserablist singing style is now a massive turn-off and I won't entertain any vocalist that sounds anything like that.

Still, I wouldn't have really given any rock music a go without first discovering them so I am grateful in that sense.

Manic Street Preachers. I used to think they were ace. Still got a few good tunes but I see though all the pretension having quotes from obscure writers in their packaging. Music for sixth formers.

Chemical Brothers. Each album seems to be made from the same template. Bored now.

BRen

Quote from: Special K on October 31, 2016, 06:34:28 PM
Manic Street Preachers. I used to think they were ace. Still got a few good tunes but I see though all the pretension having quotes from obscure writers in their packaging. Music for sixth formers.

Chemical Brothers. Each album seems to be made from the same template. Bored now.
I've always been one of those MSP fans that basically thinks the pinnacle were the Richey Edwards years, after he vanished then they went a bit rubbish and dad rock in my opinion. Despite the fact that he couldn't play guitar, he certainly brought much of what made them interesting and unique for those early years in terms of the songwriting, image and direction of the band.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Serge on October 30, 2016, 08:32:43 PM
P.J. Harvey. Absolutely adored her for years, then one day, a couple of years after it'd come out, I was listening to 'Stories from The City, Stories From The Sea' and suddenly realised I didn't like it. 'White Chalk' was kind of ok, but 'Let England Shake' just left me cold, despite all the plaudits it got. I still like the first three albums, but can't be bothered with anything beyond that.
At the time and to this day, I've felt a huge amount of its acclaim came from it being a remarkably poor year for the kind of music championed by alt-rock publications.

the science eel

'The Words That Maketh Murder' is fucking excellent tho'.

thraxx

Quote from: BRen on October 31, 2016, 07:26:55 PM
I've always been one of those MSP fans that basically thinks the pinnacle were the Richey Edwards years, after he vanished then they went a bit rubbish and dad rock in my opinion. Despite the fact that he couldn't play guitar, he certainly brought much of what made them interesting and unique for those early years in terms of the songwriting, image and direction of the band.

Agreed. But when you take a key person out of any band the dynamic is bound to change.  I still listen to Gold Against The Soul and The Holy Bible regularly. Just the sound of a band that are at the peak of their powers.  They are another band after that.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 30, 2016, 07:01:28 PM

Oi

Probably the only albums in my record collection that I rarely revisit. I still have affection, (if you can call it that)?, for The Good, The Bad And The 4-Skins and some of the sillier end of Oi. The 'Pathetique' genre: Spodgenessabounds, Toy Dolls, Peter & The Test Tube Babies as it was the perfect rebellion music for a teenager in 1981 but today as an adult it really sounds utterly moronic. 

Sham 69 still hold up though.

Never really got into that sort of stuff but I used to read Garry Bushell's articles on Oi! bands in Sounds in which he was always going on about Hoxton Tom McCourt. Never having heard of that area of London at the time, I'd think to myself:"What a peculiar first name."

Dr Syntax Head

Grunge[nb]my god that term still gives me the bad kind of chills[/nb] was, along with good hip hop [nb]golden age y'know[/nb] my first proper musical love [nb]you just know I fucking loved RATM when they came along[/nb] but I only now listen to the likes of yer Pearl Jam, yer Soundgarden, yer Alice in Chains etc for nostalgia. I still buy new alums by these type but I rarely get excited by a new release.