Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands/Genres You've Grown Out Of

Started by A Car With No Doors, October 30, 2016, 06:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Quote from: BRen on October 31, 2016, 07:26:55 PM
I've always been one of those MSP fans that basically thinks the pinnacle were the Richey Edwards years, after he vanished then they went a bit rubbish and dad rock in my opinion. Despite the fact that he couldn't play guitar, he certainly brought much of what made them interesting and unique for those early years in terms of the songwriting, image and direction of the band.
Interestingly I'm the opposite. I used to like the first three a lot, but these days other than the occasional spin of The Holy Bible I'm only interested in the post-Richey stuff. I find the earlier stuff really angsty and I don't really relate to it at all.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Special K on October 31, 2016, 06:34:28 PM
Manic Street Preachers. I used to think they were ace. Still got a few good tunes but I see though all the pretension having quotes from obscure writers in their packaging. Music for sixth formers.

I kind of get what you mean and agree with what others have said about the dad rock aspect after Richey but I love James Dean Bradfield too much as a musician to ever get bored of MSP.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: purlieu on October 31, 2016, 10:24:17 PM
Interestingly I'm the opposite. I used to like the first three a lot, but these days other than the occasional spin of The Holy Bible I'm only interested in the post-Richey stuff. I find the earlier stuff really angsty and I don't really relate to it at all.

It's funny I was just thinking similar. I'm older and I think post Richey Manics just resonate a little more, musically that is[nb]Never really cared about the lyrics so much[/nb]. It's just more refined

Golden E. Pump

I prefer them post-James, but 'Motorcycle Emptiness' is my all-time favourite of theirs.

the science eel

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on October 31, 2016, 10:52:30 PM
I prefer them post-James, but 'Motorcycle Emptiness' is my all-time favourite of theirs.

It still stands up as a lovely song in every way. If I ever write a guitar melody that simple and affecting my work will be done

Noodle Lizard

Growing out of a band feels horrible, really.  As someone who generally only picks a handful of bands from each genre/subgenre to latch onto, there's nothing worse than listening to their best album again and simply not feeling anything for it, your devotion and affection for them slipping away before your very ears.  It's happened a few times.  Sometimes the band can win me back with a new release, but more often than not they become relegated to "a band I used to be properly into".  All those hours and hours, good times and bad times spent with them - gone, nothing, meaningless now.

I'd give anything to hear Coldplay for the first time again!!!!

Jockice

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on October 31, 2016, 10:52:30 PM

Has the singer left now?

Quote from: Jockice on November 01, 2016, 09:36:21 AM
Has the singer left now?

I think the poster is referring to Richey Edwards rather than James Dean Bradfield

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 01, 2016, 07:16:50 AM
Growing out of a band feels horrible, really.

Except when you're me and that band is Korn, who I loved as a teen with the kind of devotion that involved sewing the band's logo onto a jacket.  This weekend a friend told me they have a new album out that harkens back to their early 'good' albums and is receiving some of the best reviews they've had in some time.

Listening to those early albums now though, I can barely find a single thing to enjoy in any of the tracks.  The lyrics are just embarrassing angsty/'edgy' garbage and the music itself is largely the same dissonant churning sludge over and over.  I couldn't be more glad to have zero love or nostalgia for this band and I'm glad it wasn't long before teenaged-me ditched them for They Might Be Giants.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Special K on November 01, 2016, 01:22:18 PM
I think the poster is referring to Richey James rather than James Dean Bradfield

Who is Richey James?

Dannyhood91

There's no excuse for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0AX81gv5aM

The fact that the album this is from is called You'll Rebel To Anything and that the band define themselves as  "electro-punk jungle pussy" rally should have clued me in that they were fucking shit.

Didn't though did it?

No it didn't.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on November 01, 2016, 02:14:16 PM
There's no excuse for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0AX81gv5aM

The fact that the album this is from is called You'll Rebel To Anything and that the band define themselves as  "electro-punk jungle pussy" rally should have clued me in that they were fucking shit.

Didn't though did it?

No it didn't.

I think a lot of people who were teens during the rise of 'Nu Metal' are glad to have grown out of some terrible bands.  Most of us can probably thank Papa Roach and 'Last Resort', their hilarious parody of the whole genre/scene.  After seeing that video for the first time I couldn't even take my own teen angst seriously.

chand

Quote from: BRen on October 31, 2016, 07:26:55 PM
I've always been one of those MSP fans that basically thinks the pinnacle were the Richey Edwards years, after he vanished then they went a bit rubbish and dad rock in my opinion. Despite the fact that he couldn't play guitar, he certainly brought much of what made them interesting and unique for those early years in terms of the songwriting, image and direction of the band.

I've always thought they'd have gone in broadly the same direction with or without Edwards, and that 'The Holy Bible' is just a weird anomaly. Generation Terrorists > Gold Against The Soul > Everything Must Go > This Is My Truth is a fairly logical career trajectory, whereas the idea that the 'Drug Drug Druggy' band recorded the darker shit on THB was more surprising.

Don't listen to me though, the last album I heard of theirs was 'Know Your Enemy' and apparently they've done six records since then.

MattD

Quote from: Jockice on October 31, 2016, 08:30:46 AM
The Fall and Morrissey, or specifically their new stuff. I own practically everything both artist have done but have had CDs of their last albums in the glove compartment of my car for well over a year and haven't played either of them yet. I keep promising myself I'll play them but haven't as yet and possibly never will.

At least I actually was a fan of them though, as my music collection is littered with stuff I really REALLY tried hard to like, almost convinced myself I did then had to finally admit to myself that apart from the odd track I just didn't get them. Gang Of Four, Prefab Sprout, REM, several similar American bands of the late eighties, quite a bit of stuff on Warp....

I'm a big fan of Morrissey but I can't really listen to anything from him 1995 onwards. Vauxhall & I was the last hurrah for him and Speedway is a fine coda for the Morrissey that lit up everything he touched from 1983-1994.

purlieu

Quote from: chand on November 01, 2016, 04:00:37 PM
I've always thought they'd have gone in broadly the same direction with or without Edwards, and that 'The Holy Bible' is just a weird anomaly. Generation Terrorists > Gold Against The Soul > Everything Must Go > This Is My Truth is a fairly logical career trajectory, whereas the idea that the 'Drug Drug Druggy' band recorded the darker shit on THB was more surprising.
Nicky always says this, he's really surprised that a lot of fans consider The Holy Bible the most 'Manics' album. They never set out to be like that, which is obvious in that it's surrounded by big melodic pop-rock records.

the science eel

Actually a lot of first-generation punk, which I listened to with great joy when I was 19, sounds a bit daft to me today. If I hear 'Beat On The Brat' or 'Boredom' now, they make me smile, but I rarely choose to listen to them.