Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Titanfall 2 - Best Shooter of 2016?

Started by Barry Admin, October 30, 2016, 07:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Cannot find the old thread. Anyway, it's out now, and its FUCKING WICKED! A lot of new mechanics, very low TTK still, so it took me a day or two to adjust. But now I'm doing pretty well, especially when I get inside Tone, my titan of choice at the mo.

Everyone needs to support this. They're not putting out a season pass this time, so they don't split the userbase. No paid DLC shit, no fucking Skinner box supply drops. Just super-fast gameplay and amazingly fluid parkour. Oh yeah, and big fuck-off robots! One of the new titans has a sword, how epic is that?

Looks, sounds and feels great, even the campaign seems really enjoyable.

There's a great focus on Playing The Fucking Objective, too. Like Overwatch, they do away with KDR and focus on what you've done right. So if the gunplay is too fast for you, you can still top the leader board just by working the objectives.

Pit-Pat

Is anyone playing this on PS4?

BeardFaceMan

Loving the balls off this and I haven't even started the campaign yet. Or played anything other than amped hardpoint. Really hoping that the ridiculous release date (sandwiched between BF1 and CoDWhatever) doesnt hurt this too much and word of mouth sees a steady increase in sales after disappointing first week sales. Its a bit worrying that I played today amd the player count was only 8000. It was a slow time of day and I've seen it as high as 30000 but I really hope this game gets the attention and accolades it deserves. Mind you I fired up the first Titanfall about 6 months ago and had no problem finding games of attrition, ctf or hardpoint so I still think the game will have legs it just really deserves a wider audience. And they should be supported and applauded for their stance of dlc and season passes and microtransactions so buy a copy because of that so we see less of that toxic shit in the future.

Barry Admin

I just messaged you on Xbox to ask about the campaign; I'm absolutely loving it! And I'm not usually a campaign guy, but I'm playing through it on Master, and really enjoying it. They've put a lot of work and thought into it.

Really enjoy the changes to the shields in MP now, although hated it at first. But it adds more peril and can force you out of your titan. My favoured way to do it is to hijack an enemy for his battery when I'm close to getting my own, then run like fuck and call it in so I can start off with a shield. I've also now unlocked the "spare battery" perk, which lets me spawn one in my inventory right before I jump in my Titan.

If you're nowhere near getting your Titan, then hijacking a battery and giving it to a teammate will give you a lot of charge.

I see the first free DLC will be mid-December and they're bringing back Angel City, not sure if any other old maps are confirmed. I really, really want more of the old maps brought over, as I have such fond memories of them.

Edit: wow, the campaign really is great, just got to another really cool bit as I write this. There's some very imaginative and surprising mechanics in it.

Pit-Pat

My problem is that most of my PS4 friends are still playing Overwatch, whilst the others have migrated to Battlefield 2. There's no point me buying Titanfall, no matter how much I want it, if I've got no one to play with.

Barry Admin

Start posting up cool clips of your mech swording the fuck out of another mech, they'll soon buy it! I dunno, I mostly play MP solo so it's not an issue for me I'm afraid.

Thursday

I've decided to take a bit of a gamble on this (PS4 version). Outside of Destiny, I'm not really a multiplayer shooter guy, but the praise for the campaign has been so good that least I'll have that if I don't get along with the online part.

Barry Admin

Nice one, be interested to hear how you get on. I'd recommend playing the campaign on Hard or Master. Master is totally doable, with certainly some challenging sections, but the reloading is very fast, and some bits are even instant restarts. I've spent the last hour or two just parkouring about, trying to get to ridiculous places, and seeing if I can get outside the map at all. A lot of fun.

With MP, if the gunplay is too fast, just work the objective and look after your mech. At this stage, with about half the stuff unlocked, I'd recommend buying Spare Battery early to give yourself more mech power, and buy Tone or Legion as they're beasts.

Pit-Pat

I think I'm convinced as well. I'll send you a PM, Thursday[nb]probably on Wednesday[/nb] and maybe we can hit the battlefield[nb]lower case B[/nb] at some point.

BeardFaceMan

Buy this game and then tell all your friends how awesome it is. Seriously. I haven't enjoyed a FPS like this for years.

lazarou

Really looking forward to getting my hands on this, but worried the timing of the release is going to be disastrous. Coming right on the heels on BF1 seems like an incredibly stupid move (especially when they're both EA titles and they must have been fully aware of what they were doing there) and with the COD sequel/remaster coming right on its heels there's serious danger it's just going to slip through the cracks. As mentioned before up there, first week sales have been borderline disastrous, I just hope it can pick up some steam as it looks by far the most interesting of the bunch.

brat-sampson

Not going to lie, this game looks amazing, but with the rest of what's coming in the next few months I can't afford it before a sale. I'd love to pick it up down the line though for the campaign alone...

Pit-Pat

I ended up ordering it, though I really can't afford it this month. Going to have to live frugally for the next few weeks, which is going to be rather galling if noone is playing it...

WesterlyWinds

Buy me a PS4 and Titanfall 2 and I'll play with you

Shay Chaise

I bought this based on the word of mouth and really looking forward to giving the campaign a go. I do prefer single player experiences to multiplayer because I feel that I have to commit to one title to get the most out of it, and I can't choose which one, and then I add up the necessary hours and conclude that I'm taking away time from language learning and preparing for my exams. So this sounds more like what I'm looking for from a shooter.

Shay Chaise

A couple of hours into the campaign and not totally feeling this yet. Frankly, I find being in the Titan a lot less fun than just being a pilot. Maybe that's different in multiplayer but, yeah, far from blown away so far. I think the movement is nice, but quite weightless and certainly not as fluid and satisfying as Destiny. I'd say the same about the gunplay. Some satisfying weapons definitely, but not on a par with BF1. The outside locations are great, the inside are really generic. Ultimately, though, it's the lack of mobility in the Titan which is disappointing me. I thought I'd feel like a leaping tank but I just feel like a tank.

So, at this point, I'll keep playing but I really wish I'd bought physical.

Thursday

I found the first hour of the campaign a bit of a slog, but it gets much better, finished that last night and really enjoyed it.

Anyway I just tried out all the Multiplayer modes and hmm not quite feeling it. I mean it's a combination of various things at the moment - Being so used to Destiny, still learning all the modes, being so low level that I can't use all the different options, and yet at the same time finding all the options overwhelming and not really being sure if I'm going to have the patience to learn. Also the maps just feel so big, they kind of have to be to make space for Titans, but it makes it hard to learn. Think I actually preferred the just pilots mode of multiplayer myself, since when there's lots of Titans on the map it's difficult to know what to do. It's still enjoyable just a bit overwhelming. I found a similar thing on the Overwatch free weekend

Destiny was just so perfect for a multiplayer amateur like me that's happy to be playing on my own. I'll give it more of a go and it's clearly good, it's more just a problem with me than the game.

Shay Chaise

Just came to say that the campaign suddenly got interesting with something I've never seen before, in such a mechanical way, so I'm intrigued enough to finish the campaign today, I imagine. I do think it was a rash purchase though, especially as I've been really enjoying BF1. I'll see how MP goes.

Yeah not sure whos idea it was to cram this in between Battlefield and COD, dont know when I'm gonna get the time to play it once this Modern Warfare Remaster is downloaded

Bought it anyway on this threads say so, who knew I was so easily influenced

Barry Admin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on November 05, 2016, 12:39:04 PM
Just came to say that the campaign suddenly got interesting with something I've never seen before, in such a mechanical way, so I'm intrigued enough to finish the campaign today, I imagine. I do think it was a rash purchase though, especially as I've been really enjoying BF1. I'll see how MP goes.

I know exactly the bit you mean (your first upgrade that replaces cloak), and was gonna ask if you'd got there yet when I read your earlier post.

To enjoy it more, put it on Master, and don't play it like a cover shooter. Use your mobility, learn to gain and hold momentum, and whizz about like a fuck. Hopefully you'll get into multiplayer.

Thursday

Are you on PS4 Shay? Played a couple of games with Pit Pat earlier. Was fun, but I am bad at it.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Thursday on November 05, 2016, 12:30:41 PM
I found the first hour of the campaign a bit of a slog, but it gets much better, finished that last night and really enjoyed it.

Anyway I just tried out all the Multiplayer modes and hmm not quite feeling it. I mean it's a combination of various things at the moment - Being so used to Destiny, still learning all the modes, being so low level that I can't use all the different options, and yet at the same time finding all the options overwhelming and not really being sure if I'm going to have the patience to learn. Also the maps just feel so big, they kind of have to be to make space for Titans, but it makes it hard to learn. Think I actually preferred the just pilots mode of multiplayer myself, since when there's lots of Titans on the map it's difficult to know what to do. It's still enjoyable just a bit overwhelming. I found a similar thing on the Overwatch free weekend.

Just use what works for you, it seems really well balanced, with the exception of map hack which is getting nerfed (might have happened already.) I'm still using the R-201 most of the time, and stick with stim or grapple so I can hassle enemy titans. As a pilot you should mostly stay inside buildings, or on top, which is riskier. You can always cloak and snipe.

Rodeo has changed, and it's made for a lot more fun. When you rodeo a Titan now, you pull a battery out, which damages them. You can jump back on to throw a grenade down their chute for further damage, but the battery is a great resource. If you bring it back to your own Titan, it heals it or gives it shields.

So as I said up thread, I'd unlock Tone early, and the battery back-up boost, then spawn yourself a battery as you are jumping into your Titan.

When you're in your Titan, take cover, use Tone's shields, get to know that Titan inside out so you know it's strengths and weaknesses, then move onto another.

As a pilot, stay mobile, be hard to hit, attack the objective. Use your alternate to hassle enemy titans while cover, attack them while they're already on a fight. I love using stim so I can rush them (NOT hrad on!) and rodeo them for their batteries, then I can give that to a teammate to build a lot of meter.

Amped Hardpoint is probably the best mode for learning the maps. Just navigate to the objectives, and look or areas to wall-run and chain into other wall-runs.

Thursday

The grapple hook is so much fun I wish they'd incorporated it into the main campaign but I guess it might have been a bit difficult to design levels around it.

Barry Admin

It is good, I need to use it more, I just love how great stim is for getting me out of trouble, and for closing the distance on enemy titans. Just had a cracking couple of games; there's nothing as exhilarating as rodeoing some cunt for his battery, then running and parkouring away as he manically tries to kill me! And I had my battery back-up as well, so was able to disembark and call that in when my shields eventually got fucked up. Titans are a lot more squishy now, so the new battery dynamic has created a lot of exciting gameplay. The battle becomes a lot more strategic when you get in your Titan, so don't be afraid of withdrawing, and like I said, use cover, and all of your abilities, most of which combo (eg you can use Tone's Sonar Lock to give you partial lock-on for a Titan that's hiding, which might be enough lock-on to enable a salvo of tracking rockets.)

Another tip, get that sensitivity turned up! And hip fire a lot, you should generally be hip firing as you ADS anyway.

Make sure you watch the Titan briefings as well, for another idea of what they can do.

Shay Chaise

Damn, that campaign.

Spoiler alert
I cried.
[close]

Arguably, the biggest mind blinder came you know when but I really buzzed off the
Spoiler alert
homing pistol
[close]
which was simple but felt absolutely fantastic.

Thursday

Quote from: Shay Chaise on November 05, 2016, 10:17:50 PM
Damn, that campaign.

Spoiler alert
I cried.
[close]

It made me think that it's basically beaten
Spoiler alert
The Last Guardian
[close]
to the punch

Shay Chaise

It also completely wasn't what I expected, maybe I'm naive. I also think you're absolutely right with that, too. I've decided to leave BF1 on the backburner and give this a bit of a go in MP, at least until it starts to fade, so I feel I'm doing my bit to support a good game, and to support my purchase, basically. Battlefield will still be there in a year, easily.

BeardFaceMan

Really loving this, got used to the new rodeo mechanic but holy fuck your teamates don't half make it hard work for you to give them a battery. They need to make that call out louder because I just end up running after them like a dog chasing a car until I get squashed by an enemy titan. A mic would help but even after all these years I still feel a bit silly sitting in a room on my own barking out instructions, I need proper friends, not 14 year old American banshees. Titanfall 2 does feel refeshingly free of all that though.

More worrisome is that I'm started to struggle to get games in a few game modes, I see the population down as low as 3000 at some times of the day on the Xbox One. I'm hoping this game is a grower, not a shower though, like the first one, I'm sure word of mouth will see the playerbase grow a bit.

Barry Admin

You can always send me an invite dude!

Lee Van Cleef

Once I've finished the Doom campaign I'm going to get this, loved the first one.