Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Outlast - Creepy jumpscare game

Started by Barry Admin, November 01, 2016, 04:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Did you play anything spooky for Halloween? I picked up the Outlast bundle for a fiver, and am really enjoying it. You mooch round an asylum, mostly viewing the action through your camcorder, with optional night-vision for dark rooms 

Very atmospheric, great use of heavy, panicked breathing and typical horror soundtrack. I feel sorry for Jelly as he wants to sleep beside me, but wakes up and jumps off the sofa every time I get rattled by a jumpscare. There's a demo for Outlast 2 as well.

You're a reporter who can't fight worth a shit, so you just have to sneak around, or run away and hide. Great stuff, a real sense of tension as you slowly make your way through the asylum, unravelling the mystery.

Lemming

Another good game in the protagonist-can't-fight-worth-a-shit genre of horror is the original Clock Tower for SNES. It can seem pretty quaint by today's standards but still generates proper shit-your-pants-scary moments whenever the scissors bastard jumps out of nowhere.

Moribunderast

Loved Outlast
Spoiler alert
except for the slightly silly ending
[close]
and the Whistleblower DLC. Both had some moments of genuine dread and quality scares and I didn't find running from attackers to be a chore like I have with the Amnesia games. Have not played the demo for Outlast 2 but the footage I've seen and the setting/premise excites me a great deal.

I picked up a couple of scary games recently with the idea of playing over Halloween weekend but I ended up just playing a horror-themed puzzle game (Slayaway Camp), a horror-themed stealth game (Party Hard) and a horror-themed rhythm game (Thumper). All very enjoyable in their own ways. Thumper will likely end up being my game of the year. It can be bastard hard but I'm actually progressing through it whereas games like that usually throw up an impenetrable wall of difficulty for me at some point. You play as a pretty silver beetle that hurtles down a rollercoaster track while dark industrial music (made by one of the blokes from Lightning Bolt) and hallucinogenic visuals assault your senses. It's a really awesome, intense experience unlike anything I've really had from gaming before.

Slayaway Camp is a slide-puzzle game that's an ode to 80s slasher horror. It's got cute little graphics, comedy gore and some funny little film trailers before each movie/level. Puzzles range from blindingly easy to relatively simple. Longest I've gotten stuck was about ten minutes but it has provided a few nice "Aha!" moments after staring at the screen trying to concoct a solution.

Party Hard has you playing as a guy who goes to parties and kills everybody. It reminds me a bit of Hotline Miami though relies more on stealth and being tactical in when you lay back and when you try to execute a bunch of people. Nice pixel graphics and soundtrack accompanied by some hilariously dumb cut-scenes with some wonderfully terrible voice-acting. Can't tell if it's trying to be actually dark or if it's meant as parody but it's entertaining all the same so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

All three came pretty cheap on Steam so it's been a solid little patch of Halloween gaming even if I didn't get stuck into anything properly scary.

madhair60

I should go back to Outlast. I found it 2spooky.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: madhair60 on November 01, 2016, 08:35:30 AM
I should go back to Outlast. I found it 2spooky.

Same. Played the beginning a few times.

I also enjoyed Amnesia but that was scarier due to its unsettling atmosphere and reliance on lights/torches and staying out of the darkness. More a pervading evil rather than shocks and jumps.

Outlast is a very impressive game indeed...not often you have a cock in games either...not at all important, you just don't see it that much.

I tried but I couldn't get on with this. I was having to move so fucking slowly in order to avoid being detected that I got bored. Alien:Isolation scratched the itch so I needn't really play another sneak'n'crap-yourself-up for a while.

Thursday

I think I have some kind of immunity to horror games, which is weird because I'm cowardly in every other aspect of life.

madhair60

Quote from: captaincockring on November 01, 2016, 08:06:34 PM
Outlast is a very impressive game indeed...not often you have a cock in games either...not at all important, you just don't see it that much.

You do if you have a highly reflective monitor, like me.

Space ghost

There's a prominent cock scene in the whistleblower dlc, very prominent indeed.

Dannyhood91

The DLC is currently going for dirt cheap on PS4 market. Is it actually worth getting? Convince me.

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on November 02, 2016, 01:50:37 PM
The DLC is currently going for dirt cheap on PS4 market. Is it actually worth getting? Convince me.

It's just as good as the game itself?

Did you finish Outlast? If you had I wouldn't have thought you'd need much convincing...it's on another level of difficulty than Outlast though...just think of it as a direct continuation of the main campaign.

madhair60

Outlast should have been called Fucking Hell and the DLC should have been called Christ.

I'm glad everyone is getting Outlast savvy...we can all properly call out Resi 7 when it turns out to be a direct copy.

madhair60

Resident EVII.

Resident EVIII.

ResIXent Evil.

Quote from: clingfilm portent on November 01, 2016, 08:40:08 PM
I tried but I couldn't get on with this. I was having to move so fucking slowly in order to avoid being detected that I got bored. Alien:Isolation scratched the itch so I needn't really play another sneak'n'crap-yourself-up for a while.

You should try again...I had about five false starts before I got into it...but when I did...truly impressive.

Space ghost

Quote from: madhair60 on November 02, 2016, 03:21:27 PM
Outlast should have been called Fucking Hell and the DLC should have been called Christ.

yep!

Thursday

Right that's it you fucking pansies, I'm going to have to do a twitch stream of me not getting scared at all by Outlast, because I'm not a child and I know the difference between video games and real life.

Now I don't actually have a camera or anything so you'll just have to trust me. Also someone buy me the game.

Barry Admin

DO IT! You jump or say "Jesus Christ!", you lose.

Thursday

Well this is quite a turn up. Schlippy has PM'd me a code for the game.

I'm not actually sure how to do a twitch stream from my pc. Am I going to have to actually do this?

That'll teach me to open my big mouth.

Thursday

Right would anyone actually be interested in watching it if I did it? I do have a webcam for my PC, I just meant I didn't have a playstation camera.

Also to get in the revisionist excuses early... Obviously big loud sudden jump scares can still make me jump a bit, I'm not saying that.

You need to make it dark when you play it...no pussying out with a well lit room.

Headphones would be preferable...the jumpscares are not really the issue with Outlast, it's more the panic of the chase...it probably is but is your PC up to playing it like it is on the PS4? Cause that's a big part of why its immersive for me...I mean it probably is...just asking.

Noodle Lizard

I got bored of Outlast about halfway through - I think I mistakenly thought it was going to be one of those short horror games, so when I realised I still had another few hours of the same startles in different places and not much else, I put it away.  I slept perfectly comfortably afterwards, which isn't usually the sign of being effectively scared by something.

Then again, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs scared me a fair bit, whereas most people seem to moan about it not being scary enough.

madhair60

Quote from: captaincockring on November 03, 2016, 10:07:22 PMthe jumpscares are not really the issue with Outlast

There are two complete cunts of jumpscares in the first fifteen minutes

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2016, 10:17:33 AM
There are two complete cunts of jumpscares in the first fifteen minutes

I know but as noodle stated above it's quite a long game, it settles down into a whole different groove later on.

I plan to play A Machine for Pigs when it gets rereleased later this month on the PS4.

Steven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 04, 2016, 08:13:32 AM
Then again, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs scared me a fair bit, whereas most people seem to moan about it not being scary enough.

I found it rather boring and was far more afrighted by Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Quote from: Steven on November 04, 2016, 01:52:36 PM
I found it rather boring and was far more afrighted by Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Well you get that as well, as well as a new part I've never heard of.

Thursday

I wish Dark Descent had A Machine for Pigs brevity. The insanity mechanics started to irritate me as well after a while. Especially when your character starts to panic in rooms that are actually quite well lit and safe. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Noodle Lizard

I just didn't find the "creatures" in Dark Descent all that perturbing.  There were so many of them that I started not to give a fuck, and the "peril" didn't feel particularly honest since I'm sure I'd have no problem twatting one if I was able to use my arms.  Machine For Pigs genuinely gave me the feeling of walking around a hostile landscape at night with "something" going on, even if there were virtually no actual enemies.  That's scarier to me.

Thursday

Quote from: Thursday on November 03, 2016, 08:14:01 PM
Right would anyone actually be interested in watching it if I did it? I do have a webcam for my PC, I just meant I didn't have a playstation camera.

Also to get in the revisionist excuses early... Obviously big loud sudden jump scares can still make me jump a bit, I'm not saying that.

Alright fine! Since you guys twisted my arm so much, I'll do one from about  9.30pm!

https://www.twitch.tv/naylorben