Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:14:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Survival games are so weirdly addictive

Started by Barry Admin, November 02, 2016, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Just give me a tree to punch, and I'm a happy man. Sitting staring at a huge boulder for three minutes while I hammer it into small rocks? Bliss. Can often not be actually arsed to finish off big or complex construction projects, but there's a really weird psychological pull to the actual gathering of the resources.

BRB have to pick flowers.

Bhazor

On the one hand I love survival games and the old hardcore rogue likes that inspired it [nb]Dwarf Fortress: Adventure Mode is my preferred tipple[/nb] I do hate how crafting became the new gimmick. Getting crammed into games as a back of the box bullet point.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 02, 2016, 09:08:42 PM
Just give me a tree to punch, and I'm a happy man. Sitting staring at a huge boulder for three minutes while I hammer it into small rocks? Bliss. Can often not be actually arsed to finish off big or complex construction projects, but there's a really weird psychological pull to the actual gathering of the resources.

BRB have to pick flowers.

When my friend bought Minecraft he jumped straight into the creative mode which give you access to all items, god mode and flight, which I believe is missing the whole fun of working for your resources. I'm much happier sticking a few supplies in my inventory and digging into the unknown, creating basic underground dwellings to sustain myself while I dig deeper into the dangerous lava caves for gems I don't even have an immediate use for. So much more satisfying.

madhair60

We've set up a sort of economy on my server, wherein iron ore is the currency and I am the man who digs it up.

Hangthebuggers

DayZ seems to have faded a little now, but I lost track of the amount of time BigJackMcBastard and I would make insane dashes across bandit country to find tins of beans. Or how we'd awkwardly die at impromptu moments as a result of hidden sniper fire whilst the other one is looting a shed for some beans and a piece of rope and a stick. Or how we'd make bold promises to head north to the airbase only to find ourselves at some sodden beach in the middle of fucking nowhere.

Barry Admin

Always wanted to play DayZ, think it might actually be coming to consoles at some point. I'm hooked as fuck on "7 Days To Die", a cross between Minecraft and DayZ. Gets awful reviews for the most part, has crappy graphics, bad frame rates, and absolutely epic gameplay. Cannot stop playing it.

Doesn't really explain anything, past an introductory quest line which shows you the basics. The rest of is is Minecraft style looting and recipe crafting. The engine is like an old Elder Scrolls game (albeit made in Unity) where you rank up millions of stats the more you do things.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I've never played creative mode on Minecraft and I've had it since it came out on the 360. Seems like cheating, part of the appeal for me is hunting down all the resources you need for your big projects that you start but never finish because you had another idea halfway through and had to go get more resources. So when I built my hotel with a giant statue of a bloke taking a piss outside which then flows into a fountain in the courtyard it was that much more satisfying. My only regret is that I didn't make his peehole big enough to swim up. Live and learn...

BeardFaceMan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XKafRHs26TM

There you go. And the whole map is here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2H8rKcsKQc4 with added windmills, death stars, giant pyramids and more cocks. And thats not even counting what I did underground...

Hangthebuggers

Rim world is a great colonist/survival strategy game. I highly suggest it.