Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:23:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

War on Poverty

Started by MonkeyDrummer, February 17, 2004, 03:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyDrummer

So we've had a War on Terror, War on Islam, a War on War. And now, a war on poverty. With the cynic questionairre still fresh in my mind is this just another bunch of empty promises made by scurrilous politicians, simply to give them some good press in a time of negative publicity about the war?

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=492148

smoker

smoker

there's no point to the war on drugs, especially the american one, since the cia gets a lot of it's funding from drug smuggling.
the war on terror, of course, is an excuse to rape oil, attack islam, reduce civil liberties and extend western dominance in the middle east, among other things
never heard of a war on war.
the war on poverty will start out with good intentions but like always through mismangement and showboating most of the money will be pissed up against a wall. the poor won't be better off, but the rich will feel slightly less guilty. WAR ON GUILT

MonkeyDrummer

the war on war was more of a reference to how we are having war's against everything. But yeah, you're right. Gordon Brown says it himself

QuoteHe said: "If we let things slip, the millennium goals will become just another dream we once had, and we will indeed be sitting back on our sofas and switching on our TVs and, I am afraid, watching people die on our screens for the rest of our lives. We will be the generation that betrayed its own heart."

Quick throw them money before they invade our conscience. I hate to think like this, i've thought the starvation issue grossly overlooked for sometime now and that the fact nothing was being done was a total disgrace, so why am i just "sneering in contempt" at my monitor?

Brigadier Pompous

When was the War on Islam, or did you just make that one up in a humourous rory bremner style satirical way?

Vermschneid Mehearties

The war on poverty will last 150 years according to government figures, making it the longest war ever fought. Apart from the one against bad haircuts.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Apart from the one against bad haircuts.

Jesus.  Looks like we really are comitted for the long haul then.