Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:00:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stan Against Evil

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 04, 2016, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This is a new IFC gory comedy show starring John McGinley, who I'm extremely fond of, so I had high hopes.

Random Thoughts Whilst Watching As I Can't Be Arsed To Do A Proper Review:

It's written and created by Dana Gould. Quick dash to wiki - Does a podcast, wrote some episodes of The Simpsons between 2001 and 2007, was a consulting producer on Parks and Recs. So hey, hopefully he's vaguely funny.

Brief Plot Summary:
Spoiler alert
McGinley's wife dies and after going a bit mental at the funeral he's forced to quit as the local sheriff. He's replaced by the blonde one from You're The Worst whose married to the obnoxious doctor, can't remember her name but she is a good actress. Anyway, then it turns out that John's wife was a local witch who protected the town from a fuckload of witches unfairly burnt in the 17th century, and now they're back and thirsty for vengeance.
[close]

Some of the scenes dealing with the loss of McGinley's wife are played surprisingly straight and are quite touching, and it's a much needed element to ground the more wacky humour like the
Spoiler alert
oddball deputy, and a talking severed head.
[close]

The pilot's pretty plot heavy and McGinley's old fashioned / sexist and slightly racist lead needs to be less old fashioned / sexist and slightly racist if we're to warm to him. Though I'm sure that's what his relationship with the blonde woman from You're The Worst whose married to the obnoxious doctor, can't remember her name but she is a good actress is set up to do.

Eh, I like it but I'm not loving it right now. But I'm trying to be optimistic that it might improve.