Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,323
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:25:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ys Is 10 Years Old

Started by CaledonianGonzo, November 04, 2016, 06:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

On Sunday.

One of the great albums of the era, and I got introduced to it by its many vocal enthusiasts on here, back when that sort of thing happened.  I'm very, very grateful.

So thanks!

weekender

It's not just a great album of the era - whatever the era is - it's one of the greatest albums of all time.

We're talking about 'Ys' by Joanna Newsom, by the way, if anyone reading was confused.

CG, what did you mean by "the era"?  Only asking in the hope we can continue a conversation about this great record.  I'm half-interested to see what I can find about my original posts about it, but it's easier just to put the record on and wonder about the universe.

You done Midlake yet?

CaledonianGonzo

I was gonna say "of the century so far" or maybe "the lifespan of CAB", but settled on something bit more vague.

CaledonianGonzo

If by "done" you mean "thought about buying the 10th anniversary reissue and then decided I didn't really need it"........then "Yes!"

I would also ajudge that one of the great albums of the era, century so far and right-veering retired comedian fansite lifespan.

Noodle Lizard

It's easily in my Top 5 albums of all time.  There's not a bad moment on it, for my money, and to think she was only in her early 20s when she wrote something as mature as that!  Van Dyke Parks should get more credit than he does for it (and almost everything else he's done), but it's undeniably Newsom's album and the two of them fit together like a particularly lovely glove.

I was very fortunate to see her perform 3/5ths of it live this year.  Nearly wept like a cunt during Emily, I don't mind telling you.

CaledonianGonzo

Yeah...the version of Emily she did in Glasgow was jawdropping.  I mean, the mateial from the other albums was all very good as well, but the tracks on Ys was another leap ahead again, quality-wise.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on November 04, 2016, 07:28:25 PM
Yeah...the version of Emily she did in Glasgow was jawdropping.  I mean, the mateial from the other albums was all very good as well, but the tracks on Ys was another leap ahead again, quality-wise.

She really created some huge shoes for herself to fill by having Ys as her sophomore release!  There are great songs on Have One On Me and Divers, some really great songs actually, but I'd be amazed (and delighted) if she ever put out another album that reached the heights of Ys.

kittens

for me it's only a year old cos i only listened to it first this time last year, crazy
it is truly wicked
i probably would never have listened if it weren't for noodle lizard going on about how good she is. so, safe brother thanks for that x

Dirty Boy

I remember hearing Monkey and Bear on the radio and thinking it was a load of shit, so it took me a while to get on ms Newsoms wavelength. I think it was hearing Only Skin while driving around the Lake District that got me spellbound with the squeaky lady and her wonderful music. Incredible tune that.

Still playing the fuck out of Divers for what it's worth, i think i might even prefer it to Ys...

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dirty Boy on November 04, 2016, 07:52:52 PM
I remember hearing Monkey and Bear on the radio and thinking it was a load of shit, so it took me a while to get on ms Newsoms wavelength.

Christ, what radio station was playing Monkey & Bear?!

But you were wrong, it's great, especially in the final stretches.

Quote from: Dirty Boy on November 04, 2016, 07:52:52 PM
Still playing the fuck out of Divers for what it's worth, i think i might even prefer it to Ys...

Divers has three of my favourite songs of hers (Sapokanikan, Waltz Of The 101st Lightborne, The Things I Say), but as a whole it's about on par with Have One On Me - some great songs, but I'd skip about 60% of it if it came on shuffle.  If a song from Ys comes on shuffle, I'm usually compelled to listen to the whole album.

Dirty Boy

I think it was Mark Rileys show on 6Music. I remember someone emailing in while it was playing saying "make it stop!".  I do still find it a bit disney-fied for my tastes, but it's good yeah.

I'd say that Have One On Me badly needs pruning back to a double although there's some great songs on there. Not its thread though is it?

Anecdotes from Divers is stunning. I like it when she channels Kate Bush.

selectivememory

Have One On Me and Divers are both great, great albums, but there's something really special about Ys. I don't know if I have a single favourite album of all time, but it would easily be in my top five.

The lyrics on the album - particularly on "Emily" and "Only Skin" - are about as good as song lyrics get. Christ, that unbelievable passage in "Only Skin" beginning with her singing "humming a threshing song until the night is over" is about the most beautiful two minutes or so of music I've heard. Phenomenal writer and artist.

lazyhour

One of the best albums of all time. I really love the bit where Bill Callahan's baritone voice suddenly comes in.