Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:06:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wonder Woman (2017).

Started by Glebe, November 06, 2016, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Wonder Woman Comic-Con trailer.

New trailer.

Seeing as how there's a new trailer out and all, I thought it was high time WW got her own thread (instead of clogging up the BvS one). I never read the comics, being pretty much Bat-centric in my superhero tastes, but I like the look of this, and Gal Gadot was good in BvS. The only Patty Jenkins film I've seen is Monster, which I recall being pretty good. Yes, it'll probably be bitterly disappointing like all the MCU movies so far (as will Justice League, natch... now there's another thread!), but for now I'm naively bedazzled by all the action and fun. Only copped that was Lucy Davis as the secretary character watching the new trailer, but I think I recall mention of her joining the cast some time ago. Duh.

Kelvin

I can't believe how bad an actress she is. Every line is either flat or laugh out loud ridiculous.

The trailers are both great, of course. But then Warner Bros, consistently put out incredible trailers for average films, so that's to be expected. At least they seem to have got the character spot on, which is more than could be said for Batman or Superman.   

Dex Sawash

Is this one of those reboots where they put a bunch of <shudders> women in?

SteveDave

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 06, 2016, 12:26:25 PM
Is this one of those reboots where they put a bunch of <shudders> women in?

Mander Man

spock rogers

Gal Gadot, speaking her lines with all the emotion of Google translate.

Bhazor

What was with that bit in the alley? Why block the bullets when she's close enough to just grab the guns? Or the bit on the beach where the Amazon swings down firing an arrow that doesn't hit anything while in ultra slow motion male character saves Wanda from a bullet that wasn't even going to hit her. Did they just awkwardly splice two totally seperate "SOOO EPIC" sequences together?

I think that comic relief woman is only in the film to make Gal Gaddot's acting seem slightly less shit.

But still it has CGI explosions and a joke about how women in the past wore long dresses. 4* reviews, 800million dollar box office, "Top 10 Reasons Why Wonder Woman Is A Feminist Masterpiece" by unnamed buzzfeed writer.

Theremin

My hopes are a wee bit dampened.

Before the original trailer appeared, there was already scuttlebutt doing the rounds about extensive re-shoots.

However because this is a DC Comics film, it's hard to tell whether these are regular big studio re-shoots, or catastrophic 'let's tear this movie apart and stitch it back together' changes a la Suicide Squad.

Glebe

'Wonder Woman' Director Patty Jenkins: How to Make a Female Heroine "Vulnerable," But Not "Lesser in Any Way".

QuoteI met with Warner Bros. right after I made Monster [her only previous feature, the indie hit] more than 10 years ago, and I said, "I want to make Wonder Woman."

Cripes.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Bhazor on November 06, 2016, 06:00:03 PM
But still it has CGI explosions and a joke about how women in the past wore long dresses. 4* reviews, 800million dollar box office, "Top 10 Reasons Why Wonder Woman Is A Feminist Masterpiece" by unnamed buzzfeed writer.

No, you've got it wrong those are Marvel films. This is a DC film. They're very different and we don't like these.

Glebe

Glebe

NoSleep

Quote from: Kelvin on November 06, 2016, 12:22:23 PM
I can't believe how bad an actress she is. Every line is either flat or laugh out loud ridiculous.

The delivery makes perfect sense as somebody speaking a second language. Maybe it's good acting.

NoSleep

Liking the idea of a WWI themed background as a way of sidestepping the Wonder Woman franchise's emergence as a propaganda vehicle (Charles Moulton was a psychologist) during WWII.

Bazooka

It's just Captain America one with a really fit bird.

samadriel

Quotethe Wonder Woman franchise's emergence as a propaganda vehicle (Charles Moulton was a psychologist)
Uh...?

NoSleep

Like I said. Wonder Woman creator Charles Moulton (real name William Moulton Marston; also inventor of the lie-detector) envisaged the comic as a vehicle for propaganda (using his knowledge of psychology) during WWII. That won't be the first comic book hero used as a vehicle for promoting "certain values" either.

FredNurke

Probably the only one where the 'certain values' include bondage, though.

MojoJojo

Hmm, I'm willing to read more but from what I've quickly googled, while it's true Moulton saw it as propaganda it was this sort:
Quote"Frankly, Wonder Woman is psychological propaganda for the new type of woman who should, I believe, rule the world."

Rather than some shady government psyops propaganda.

Although obviously WW was propaganda during the WWII, all the golden age heroes were.

NoSleep

I think the wiki account has been sanitised from the last time I looked. Interesting the stuff about how he cohabited with his wife and a lover and had kids from both.

Gulftastic

George Perez era Wonder Woman was a real favourite of mine in the 80's, and I'm liking the new Greg Rucka stuff too. I hope the film is any good.

Glebe

Russian trailer.

It would be hilarious if this was released over here in Russian - without subtitles.[nb]It wouldn't be that hilarious.[/nb]

And next in the UN Cinematic Universe: Kofi Annan Begins

Glebe

Bhazor

Think they were to wise to avoid having her talk. Best to just sort of stand there with the usual super heroine emotionless pout.

Glebe

Wonder Woman Has Screened For An Audience, Here's What's Being Said.

Hmmm. That sound's positive, but with DC's track record it's best not to jump the gun.

Custard

Remember when a test audience saw BvS and declared it "amazing"?

Glebe

International promo clip.

'Origin' trailer.

Dare I say it, but this could potentially be a decent DCU movie for once (not that that's any amazing feat, mind). Also, here's a new poster:

Kelvin

I thought the other two trailers looked pretty great, but this trailer looks dreadful. The jokes are terrible, the special effects look laughable, and the lead actress can't act.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Kelvin on March 12, 2017, 02:34:27 PMThe jokes are terrible, the special effects look laughable, and the lead actress can't act.

"You'll go a long way."

Kelvin

Looks like audiences aren't giving them the benefit of the doubt anymore:   

http://www.slashfilm.com/wonder-woman-box-office-tracking/

edit: to be clear, it's still on track to make a lot of money, but it's telling that the trajectory is down, rather than up.