Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:08:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wonder Woman (2017).

Started by Glebe, November 06, 2016, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ieXush2i

Quote from: Kelvin on November 06, 2016, 12:22:23 PM
I can't believe how bad an actress she is. Every line is either flat or laugh out loud ridiculous.

The trailers are both great, of course. But then Warner Bros, consistently put out incredible trailers for average films, so that's to be expected. At least they seem to have got the character spot on, which is more than could be said for Batman or Superman.

The trailer made me think this could actually be good. Sadly the trailer's editing actually sells the humour which completely falls flat in practice.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Gadot has a complete inability to act. To make up for this, the opening act surrounds her with oddly-accented women reading phonetic dialogue and placing emphases in all the wrong places.

biggytitbo

A wonderful, wonderful woman.

Thomas

The trailer certainly makes it look like a very teal and orange film.

I know Replies has covered this ground well, but is it some sort of requirement? A uniform vibe across these films? Is it difficult for a director to get the film made without acquiescing to that colour palette? I just don't know how a director, in 2017, could look back at his free decision to make a film teal and orange and feel proud or accomplished about that particular detail.

Custard

Going to see this Tues, what with the Odeon Limitless.

It only dawned on me this week that I haven't seen any of these bollocks new DC films in the cinema yet. LUCKY LUCKY ME

Hobo

Spoiler free:

I thought she was by far the best thing in it. She had the required strength and innocence/naivety and looks the part. The fights/set pieces are interesting and kenetic, but some clunky CGI versions of WW for most of the stunts are distracting.

The final 1/3 is underwritten and predictable as is the way with mainstream cinema. 

6.5/10

Small Man Big Horse

It seems to be making a lot of money, which is pleasing, not that I particularly care about the film but there are a lot of female superheroes who I'd like to see get there own movie and it's more likely to happen now. http://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-captain-underpants-weekend-box-office-opening-1202106462/

Catalogue Trousers

As long as it happens that way and we don't just get more WW or Black Widow films. I'm still waiting for live-action She-Hulk, Squirrel Girl and Hawkgirl - who kicks the stuffing out of WW.

ieXush2i

Squirrel Girl is going to be in the New Warriors series next year.

Catalogue Trousers

Well, that's something. Thanks for the heads-up.

A propos of nothing - just when did WW gain the ability to fly under her power, without the need for her nifty invisible robot plane?...

Kelvin

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 03, 2017, 08:33:12 PM

A propos of nothing - just when did WW gain the ability to fly under her power, without the need for her nifty invisible robot plane?...

Not entirely sure when it happened in the comics, but she could fly by herself in the 90's cartoon.

Presumably it was changed as a result of the invisible plane being a) naff, and b) totally at odds with the mythological stuff.

Spiteface

Heads up, deffo no post-credits shit, because that's a marvel thing. You can go for a piss as soon as the end credits start rolling.

Catalogue Trousers

QuotePresumably it was changed as a result of the invisible plane being a) naff, and b) totally at odds with the mythological stuff.

Or perhaps to put her on an equal footing with Superman, except not completely so because patriarchy blah blah.

A pity, really. Flying superhumans are two-a-penny. WW's invisible plane, which she could control telekinetically, was way cooler. And of course it could fit in with mythology - I can just see Hephaestus running something like that up in his forge.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 03, 2017, 08:33:12 PM

She gained the ability to glide on air currents starting in Wonder Woman issue #98, May 1958.

Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths (in 1985), Wonder Woman's origin was rebooted, and she could fly freely from the start.

Personally I don't think the flying power suits her.

Catalogue Trousers

It does feel a lot to me like a case of 'the other superheroes can do it, so why can't I'. And - ironically - it just serves to make her all the more like them, as though her own identity isn't enough.

You're right. It doesn't suit her.

Phil_A

Just had a weird thought - was this the first time David Thewlis and Ewen Bremner have shared a scene together since "Naked"?

wasp_f15ting

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 03, 2017, 07:52:00 PM
I'm still waiting for live-action She-Hulk, Squirrel Girl and Hawkgirl - who kicks the stuffing out of WW.

I'd like to see all three as well, especially if She-Hulk was based on the classic 80s John Byrne run, though I suppose people would accuse it of copying Deadpool even though Hulkie did it first. I'd also like to see a film with the new Ms Marvel, and one with Power Girl due to her ridiculously sexist costume exposing her bosoms.

It's now been confirmed that it took just over $100,000,000 this weekend in the US, with another $120,000,000 internationally, and given the critics response and the cinemascore rating there's no way it won't be considered a big success. It's also the best ever opening for a female director, so hopefully the big studios will hire more of them too. Hell, they could even helm a male superhero film, as these are crazy, crazy days.

Custard

Hmm, bit of a rubbish third act, but this really wasn't too shabby. Entertaining enough fluff, and the cast were decent (yes, even Gadot!).

It actually has heart, and likeable characters. And the action is really well done. If I was a young girl, and I am, I'd be in love with this film

The story and writing is actually coherent and well written too!

Not perfect, by any stretch, but a very pleasant surprise, and easily the best DCU film so far.

3 buns out of 5

Mr_Simnock

I enjoyed it a lot and found only the last quarter to be a bit under done. A big step in the right direction quality wise for the DC lot, hopefully they can build on it. I absolutely loved almost all the action sequences. Will defo pick this up on someform of disc (BD or UHD) when it comes out.

Glebe

Saw it Monday night (in IMAX... my seat was a bit too close to the screen, uncomfortably so, actually... first world problems, eh?), it's not earth-shattering or anything but I enjoyed it overall and yes, it felt like a more cohesive, 'proper' film that the first few DCU movies. It manages to cram a lot of drama and events in while keeping up the pace, although some of the dialogue is, predictably, a little silly and some of the characters are probably introduced a little too briskly. I didn't have a problem with the inevitable big face-off ending, actually, I mean what do you expect from a DC movie?

Anyway, overall, a much more successful romp this time out, DC should built on this now and not toss out anymore half-baked bollocks.

phantom_power

So it seems like at the fourth time of asking they have finally got to he level of Captain America: The First Avenger, but spunked away a lot of goodwill towards their most well-known characters

samadriel

Quote from: Hobo on June 03, 2017, 06:08:27 PM
Spoiler free:

I thought she was by far the best thing in it. She had the required strength and innocence/naivety and looks the part. The fights/set pieces are interesting and kenetic, but some clunky CGI versions of WW for most of the stunts are distracting.

The final 1/3 is underwritten and predictable as is the way with mainstream cinema. 

6.5/10
What he said, pretty much. Gadot was fine, and it's an enjoyable film, but a very, very simple one.

Spiteface

Quote from: Glebe on June 08, 2017, 01:41:30 AM
Saw it Monday night (in IMAX... my seat was a bit too close to the screen, uncomfortably so, actually... first world problems, eh?), it's not earth-shattering or anything but I enjoyed it overall and yes, it felt like a more cohesive, 'proper' film that the first few DCU movies. It manages to cram a lot of drama and events in while keeping up the pace, although some of the dialogue is, predictably, a little silly and some of the characters are probably introduced a little too briskly. I didn't have a problem with the inevitable big face-off ending, actually, I mean what do you expect from a DC movie?

Anyway, overall, a much more successful romp this time out, DC should built on this now and not toss out anymore half-baked bollocks.

We still have Justice League to get through.

I think the course correction will hopefully be seen with Aquaman, which I believe is the next "solo" DC film.

Had to skip the first 7 minutes of the Red Letter Media review of this, as their bizarre fumbling around on social/gender issues is very embarrassing to watch. At one point one of them claims that Paul Feig marketed Ghostbusters on the idea that women had never been funny before, a deeply odd accusation to level at Feig, demonstrably false, and very indicative of the kind of insular thinking that leads to that kind of awkward bitterness around issues of female representation in cinema.

kidsick5000

I was very impressed.
It clips along and aside from trying on the dresses - doesn't leverage on gender at all - just on the idea of an outsider.

It also did not totally adhere to cliche for character arcs or even the general plot. Some pleasant surprises along the way.

What's really impressive is the director using Gadot to the absolute best effect - almost in a Keanu style.
I could not tell you what Jenkins did differently to Snyder (possibly the use of sunlight) but she really makes Gadot look like one of the most beautiful people on the planet.

It's similar in a way to Christopher Reeve instantly defined Superman, in this film and in sheer looks alone, Gadot is the perfect Wonder Woman.

I'm still reeling DC got it right.

Mr_Simnock

She is soooo beautiful in this film.....

Glebe

Why Wonder Woman's Second Week At The Box Office Is A Big Deal.

All it needs to do now is win two Oscars to outdo Suicide Squad, heh.

MuteBanana

MILF

Reasons why Gal Gadot will be Oscar nominated within the next 5 years(next five ceremonies)

1. Hot
2. Foreign
3. Capable actress
4. Star of first female lead comic book film
5. Homely

She's full of potential. She's likeable to both audiences and directors. She'll get work. She's actually quite new to the job. But in the next few years watch her grow. All it takes is one stand out role. One big film.

Imagine saying the girl in Demolition Man would win an Oscar.

My male pick would be Zac Efron.

weekender

Quote from: Spiteface on June 03, 2017, 08:46:41 PM
Heads up, deffo no post-credits shit, because that's a marvel thing.

Hang on, is this thread telling me that this is a DC Comics film that's actually alright instead of a steaming pile of shit?