Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you rinse when washing up?

Started by Tom Rad, February 17, 2004, 03:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you rinse when washing up?

Why yes, of course!
21 (65.6%)
No, why bother? A bit of washing up liquid never hurt anyone!
7 (21.9%)
Washing up? Oh that! No, I have the dish washer / the maid / the wife do that for me!
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: February 17, 2004, 03:57:27 PM

Tom Rad

Just out of interest really. Lots of people seem to simply dunk their dirty dishes in the bowl, give them a wipe with a sponge and then put them in the sink drainer, covered in soapy foam.
I have to say I cannot begin to understand why you would want to do that. Sure, some of the soap may run off the dishes while they are on the rack, but some of it will surely stay on the plates and cups and glasses you then use to eat/drink off!
The other reason for rinsing with hot water after washing up is that it makes sure your dishes are actually properly clean. You may leave crumbs or greasy streaks or bits of cheesy residue on your dishes unless you give them a good rinse while checking with your hand that they really are squeaky clean.

I have the impression, which I welcome you to correct by all means, that not rinsing when washing up is a peculiarly British trait. Which is why I wanted to find out with a poll about the washing up habits of the Verbwhore community.

hencole

Always and almost to the point of paranoia. I don't care if the dish is still dirty, but as long it's been rinsed I don't care.

king mob

The real question is what washing up liquid you use?

i prefer nice Strawberry Fairy that makes the rinsing process smell nicer.

Alberon

Speaking personally, I don't rinse them, but I do wipe them dry after. I wouldn't leave them to drip dry even if I did rinse them.

Gazeuse

Sometimes I do.

I know someone who rinses, washes THEN rinses again, but then again, he is a bit odd.

Anyway, the real question is what music do you listen to while washing up?

If I want to do it quickly, I listen to Cardiacs...If I want a more leisurely washing up experience, I listen to assorted Hindi film music.

Boris Livingstone

I never do the washing up.

But the real question is: do you rinse your body after applying a thick lather of shower gel?

smoker

i dry when i can, leave to drain if there's no clean tea towels. and always wash up to nofx or wossy on wadio 2, nothing else is effective.

Lt Plonker

Lt Plonker's Lazy Bastard/Ingenius Tip of the Day

After washing oven dishes, place them back in the oven and the heat will dry them much faster. Then, leave them there until you need them again.

Living in a student house means that some cunts don't do their washing up. Last year, the Swedes managed to make things grow in their dirty washing.  But to answer the question, I do rinse. I just keep forgetting to put it all away after it's dry. :(

megatwat

I think you'll find rinsing is an integral part of the washing up process. Not rinsing dishes after washing them is exactly how nazi Germany started.

Uncle Gripper

hmmmm, washing up used to be the bane of my life, god only knows how many hours ive stood there, washing, stacking, rinsing, putting away, using, washing, stacking, putti............and so on.  2 basin fulls a day or one very large fucking one.  and if ye leave them to the morning and you are on LOL NO dole, jesus, nothing makes ye crash and burn more effectively than seeing a huge mound of unsorted dishes leering at you from LOL NO worktop, absolute downer.

NOW, i have a dishwasher and using dishes has never been so much fun, fuck,i'll even use seperate plates, instead of cramming it all ion one, which was re-used from cereal or soup or something earlier on.  a real clean dish NAZI.  But not now, thank god, dishwasher are as essential as washing machines, unless of course you are a sad jimmy nae mates that just eats pot noodles and pizzas eaten from the cardboard box thats been turned inside out.......

Borboski

When we moved in my girlfriend spent some time teaching me how to wash up. Pathetic as it may be... I had argued with her that many things didn't actually need washing with soap, or that you could just leave many things to drain, or just to soak.

Oh how wrong i was.

Now I appreciate the joys of washing up (greasy things last for example).

That said, the bastard refuses to rinse glasses, and as a result whenever I pour a drink of fizzyblackshite it froths and tastes of soap.

Marcus Or Relius

I rinse, simply because I have time. Being a bachelor my kitchen-ware consists of:

2 plates
3 cups
1 frying pan
1 other type of pan
A selection of knives, forks and spoons which seem to vary in number depending on what day of the week it is
A big spoon for scooping out so much coffee from a jar that, upon guzzling the coffee which is so thick and strong it's like oil, I get such a caffeine rush that my head vibrate like the weird demons that chase Tim Robbins about in "Jacobs Ladder"
A big meat-cleaver I don't need but just think looks really cool

chand's girlfriend

my dish washer is broken so i have to do the washing up. and of course i rinse it.
i scrub it well with a rough sponge and loads of detergent and rinse it til there not a single bubble left in the glass or whatever.

however i dont dry my dishes with a rag or anything. i just pile them up and leave them to dry.

was that interesting? :D

Smackhead Kangaroo

bah to hell with rinsing. ALthough I have heard this complaint of people rinsing so dishes don't taste of fairy liquid.
I'd say it's YOU freaks who are to blame for using too much detergent. If a supposedly dry dish (drip  dried) froths with foam if rinsed under water then you MUSt surely have used too much.

More interesitng is this bizarre thing that some people have about washing up in a tub in the sink. Why? you've got a perfectly good sink. What possible purpose does the tub serve?

The Plaque Goblin

I hear a simple practical joke one can play on others is to add a droplet of washing up liquid to their drink thus inducing diarrhoea.

Not rinsing off the dirty soapy water is just something one shouldn't not do.

JesusAndYourBush

If you rinse with really hot water it all evaporates off most items really quickly so you don't need to dry them.

Bogey

In our house, we don't fill the sink up, the tap is kept running at all times.
This might be terribly wasteful, but it cleans up real good. It's the "Asian" method, I'm told.
Also, drying with a teatowel doesn't work; you can never get things properly dry, the teatowel gets uselessly wet after about three plates, and it leaves hairs and fluffs on said crockery too.
And no one else ever does the washing up, but it's my favourite of all the household chores: easy, satisfying, and you get nice clean hands into the bargain!

megatwat

As we all know, hands that do dishes feel as soft as..... (I can't remember the rest of it).

Smackhead Kangaroo

Quote from: "The Plaque Goblin"I hear a simple practical joke one can play on others is to add a droplet of washing up liquid to their drink thus inducing diarrhoea..

You've been misinformed then, because I've drunk (or at least attempted to) drink washing up liquid (while drunk of course). The whole party present also were fooled by my rashness into doing so, I didn't get much down me and while it tasted vile and I coughed up a few bubbles, there was no diahorrea in sight.  So I doubt very extremely whether a single dropllet of it would do the same