Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:49:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar

Started by Wet Blanket, November 15, 2016, 02:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

Just noticed that this is sneaking on to the late night Radio 4 schedule tonight (11.00pm), four-part series in which:

QuoteThe Godfather of Alternative Comedy delivers a mixture of stand-up, memoir and philosophy from behind the counter of his Imaginary Sandwich Bar.

Sounds good to me, I've always enjoyed his particular take on stand-up, memoir and philosophy. I've not seen any of his stand-up since he returned to the scene, but I've heard his delivery is much more gentle these days, like his interviews. Looking forward to hearing this. 

Black_Bart

Heard a few trailers for it and sounds like worth a go. Certainly better than most of the comedy from R4 at any rate.

easytarget

It's good "I'm also the duke of catflap" indeed.

There are also some *very* specific scouse accents, it's like being home. So, y'know, trigger warning.

Wet Blanket

Really enjoyed it, much more similar to his old TV work than I was expecting (even songs!). Wonder if it'll lead towards BBC2? The post Newsnight Stewart Lee slot at least...

buzby

Very much enjoyed this, it's nice to have Alexei back. It was a good mix of excerpts from Thatcher Stole My Trousers and new bits. It is a lot more like Stuff than I was expecting too, which is a very good thing.

Quote from: easytarget on November 16, 2016, 05:47:13 AM
There are also some *very* specific scouse accents, it's like being home.

Very much so - you can almost place the streets where they come from.

zomgmouse

I expected it to be good but this was very good. I enjoyed this a lot! I particularly enjoyed the fake facts about the prawn cocktail and lamb tikka and stuff, as that is something I do myself in my comedy.
He definitely has mellowed over the years but there's still a great dark, bitter streak that comes out at certain moments. Looking forward to the rest of the series!

easytarget

I actually was expecting a (relatively) slowed down, mellow Alexie based on his recent interviews, but I suppose it's not really appropriate to lean forward and yell BASTARD! into the mic when you're talking about your books of short stories[nb]Barcelona Plates is fucking great, go read it.[/nb] so it was nice to hear that he's still got it.

Rev

I've not kept up with him in the last few - as in about twenty - years.  Haven't read the books, and have only really been aware of him when he's cropped up in an interview or such, in which he's come across as a bit of a snooty aging grump.  Kind of had limited expectations of this as a result but it's great, and as mentioned it's far more in line with 'Stuff' than I'd have imagined likely.

buzby

Quote from: Rev on November 17, 2016, 10:12:56 PM
I've not kept up with him in the last few - as in about twenty - years.  Haven't read the books, and have only really been aware of him when he's cropped up in an interview or such, in which he's come across as a bit of a snooty aging grump.

He did address this image of himself in a recent post on his blog:
"I saw one of those old "Comedy Roots"  things about the Pythons on London Live last night.  The quality of the video tape used for the interviews makes it look like it was shot about a hundred years ago and most of the contributors labelled "comedian" you have never heard of but as somebody mentioned for some reason I am there.  I have no idea when I shot those interviews or for what purpose but what struck me is that I am being the most unbelievable ponce! Speaking in a slow affected manner, making bizarre hand gestures and slumped in my seat in a way that is frankly insulting to whoever was interviewing me.  I said to Linda  "If I saw that I would have thought 'what a terrible git that bloke is'."  And she replied.  "A lot of people did think that...""

Shaky

Quote from: Rev on November 17, 2016, 10:12:56 PM
I've not kept up with him in the last few - as in about twenty - years.  Haven't read the books, and have only really been aware of him when he's cropped up in an interview or such, in which he's come across as a bit of a snooty aging grump.  Kind of had limited expectations of this as a result but it's great, and as mentioned it's far more in line with 'Stuff' than I'd have imagined likely.

I concur. Been a couple of decades since I'd even thought of him as a comedian rather than some disgruntled old author, to be honest, but this new show was brilliant.

Gurke and Hare

Very good. I loved the silly government cheese joke.

buzby

Second episode (Politics) was a cracker too - featuring the story from his book about being an anti-capitalist drug dealer and a couple of digs at Izzard and Carr.

This series works very well as a companion piece to Thatcher Stole My Trousers as it's like an expanded audiobook - there's a couple of stories from the book in each episode but they are linked together by new material.

Beagle 2

This is superb, I'm also (pleasantly) surprised by how similar it is to his telly stuff from years ago. Really high laugh rate, Actually pissing myself walking down the street listening to Radio 4, how often does that happen.

easytarget

yesitsme

Me too, I sometimes find Sayle too self-indulgent to be funny but this has been pretty good from start to so far.  Good mix of silliness and to the point.

Audience is full of cunts like but what can you do?

Milverton

The best BBC radio comedy in a very long time.

Quote from: yesitsme on December 02, 2016, 08:56:11 AM
Audience is full of cunts like but what can you do?

What?

Anyway yeah, this is funniest thing I've heard on Radio 4 since Down The Line. Several belly laughs per show. '
Spoiler alert
Yesterday will be back tomorrow
[close]
' is going to stay with me for a long time.

Wet Blanket

Up there with my favourite new comedy shows of the year. Only disappointed by the brevity of the series - though I was glad to hear a new one is already scheduled for the 'near future'

Doomy Dwyer

I loved every minute of this. The Boris Johnson routine was fantastic. The build to the final line perfect. God save Alexei Sayle.

yesitsme

Yes, good from start to finish.  More please Radio 4.

Black_Bart

A bit samey in places (the "celeb" customers), but over all a good listen. Than again I could listen to Sayle read more or less anything.

Loved the "rehabilitation of war criminals like John Prescot et al", as well as the "Yeah, but the left mean well bit".

axel

My favourite comedy show of the year, intelligent, angry and funny. Although i was one of the cunts in the audience.

zomgmouse

So I've foolishly missed the point of being able to listen to this on iPlayer Radio. Is there anywhere else this is available? PM me links if you have any.

hermitical

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: hermitical on December 30, 2016, 04:53:27 PM
it's on TV Chaos if you do the torrentz

Don't uh... don't suppose you have an invite code?

zomgmouse

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on January 04, 2017, 05:22:49 AM
Don't uh... don't suppose you have an invite code?
Ditto... didn't realise this was necessary.

madhair60

madhair60

If you don't have TVChaos then you are a Poor Man.