Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar

Started by Wet Blanket, November 15, 2016, 02:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

New series starts tonight at 6.30pm. Only a parsimonious four episodes however.

I've been getting back into Sayle in a big way after reading Thatcher stole My Trousers. Led me into a YouTube hole that turned up this early work from 1982, an episode of Comic Roots that pretty much sets up the format of his subsequent TV shows: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBCVyzIBKio

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 09, 2017, 10:17:13 AM

I've been getting back into Sayle in a big way after reading Thatcher stole My Trousers. Led me into a YouTube hole that turned up this early work from 1982, an episode of Comic Roots that pretty much sets up the format of his subsequent TV shows: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBCVyzIBKio

That Comic Roots is splendid, if memory serves - thanks for sharing.

Serge

He's put out a book based on the radio series - I don't know if there's any new material in it (it's quite thin) or if it's just taken straight from the show.

buzby

This was great - kept up the quality of the last series, though he probably could have gone a bit further if it was in a later timeslot. Dickens as a camp scouser,  losing a war to the Israelis, and it was nice to hear Linda chipping in at last too!

Gamma Ray

Yeah, the quality of comedy in that 6:30 R4 slot can be pretttttttty variable but the fucker actually made me laugh out loud. On multiple occasions.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Gamma Ray on November 09, 2017, 09:57:03 PM
Yeah, the quality of comedy in that 6:30 R4 slot can be pretttttttty variable but the fucker actually made me laugh out loud. On multiple occasions.

It's been pretty good this week. Unbelievable Truth, Ed Reardon, Andy Hamilton, Alexei, then Now Show - although they can have some rubbish guests on.

Alexei was very funny tonight though.

"After Jeremy Corbyn gets elected ALL comedy will be like this.   HERE'S MICHAEL MCINTYRE WITH HIS 25 MINUTES ABOUT THE LEVELLERS!"

So glad this is back.  Really good.

BeardFaceMan

I like people being silly. Alexei Sayle always gets painted as the angry, political comedian so it's easy to forget that he's a very (very, very, *very*, VERY, very etc) silly sausage. This show really makes me want to watch Stuff again.

Gamma Ray

Back again this evening, made me repeatedly laugh out loud again.

easytarget

Thanks for this - series 3 started very strong indeed.

Urinal Cake

The Suffragettes joke is so stupid but had me chuckling out in in public like some idiot.

Alberon

That one works because it is so stupid.

I liked the new version of the usual 'imaginary customer' joke at the beginning.

Great show and lovely to see it back.

Johnny Yesno

I'm miffed because I think I missed series 2, but series 3 has been great so far.

4 arses

I could have imagined that going into a full on sketch on a show like "Stuff". Would be good to get him back on TV at some point BBC2 or BBC4
Quote from: Urinal Cake on September 14, 2019, 06:21:47 AM
The Suffragettes joke is so stupid but had me chuckling out in in public like some idiot.