Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:31:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New UK Stand Up Streaming Site

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 16, 2016, 01:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Just discovered the existence of https://nextupcomedy.vhx.tv/browse, a new streaming service devoted to uk stand up, which seems to have a lot of Go Faster Stripe stuff on it, along with recordings of newer acts like Tim Renkow, Colin Hoult/Anna Mann, Jordan Brookes, Luisa Omielan, Marcel Lucont and many others. You can get a 30 day free trial right now giving you access to everything, and then it's a rolling contract. Doubt I'll be a permanent subscriber, but there is a lot there that I'll definitely be checking out.

Edited: To make it sound more exciting!

ajsmith

Read this at first glance as 'New UK Stand Up Steaming Shite'

Crabwalk

Heard Stuart Goldsmith promoting this on his podcast earlier today[nb]his fascinating post-sobriety interview with Tony Law[/nb]. Sounds like great value, I must say.

DrGreggles

Great idea. Needs more content, but I'll be signing up.

New Jack

I like the idea. The yanks have a few.

The Duck Man

Hmm, I find it hard to believe they'll get to a large enough library and/or have enough of a stream of new content to maintain a decent base of subscribers.

colsimpson

Anyone know if they'll be adding any more shows soon?

Small Man Big Horse

Signed up for this tonight as I've even more free time than usual over the Christmas period. Started off with Tom Ward's "Sex, Snails and Cassette Tapes" as I used to know Tom fairly well a while back and sometimes gigged with him at the same open mic nights, though it's about a year since I saw him live. I'm not sure who produced the video but the camera work's a little shaky on occasion, and it's only 25 minutes long and so not the full Edinburgh show which was a bit disappointing to see. Also there's only a pretty small audience which I'm not sure quite works for recorded stand up. Dunno why. Anyhow, on the positive side of things the picture quality's good, and as for the show itself I think it's a lot of fun stuff, pleasingly daft a lot of the time and definitely worth checking out.

Edit: On the minus side bar a couple of really old shows and a bit of audio I don't think anything's been added to the site since it began, so promises of new content weekly seem a little questionable. Still, I don't want to knock the site as it does give you a month's free trial, and a lot of the stuff on there looks really great, can't wait to check out Munnery, Tony Law and others mentioned above.

Small Man Big Horse

Jordan Brookes "The Making Of" - I'd seen Jordan do twenty minutes earlier on in the year so had high hopes for this as I'd really loved his set then. And as many mentioned in the Edinburgh thread, he's really all a bit superb and it didn't disappoint at all. It's a tiny bit slow at the beginning but that works as an introduction for the audience to what is an increasingly and pleasingly weird show, and one which is packed with big laughs. The only downside is that the picture quality is quite poor, it looks like it's recorded on video at times, and the colour is very drained. Still it doesn't spoil the show in any way, I just hope that it doesn't put any one off watching it. And I really don't want to seem too critical of the service given how it's the only way to see a lot of these shows now.

olliebean

Quote from: colsimpson on December 10, 2016, 12:56:57 AM
Anyone know if they'll be adding any more shows soon?

I think they take away as many as they add; I've seen the total number of shows vary between 47 and 52 since this thread started, but it always seems to hover around 50. I haven't kept track so I don't know if they're adding shows that are completely new to the service or just keeping the same ones in rotation.

Anyway I've signed up for the trial now, and ticked the option to notify me of new shows, so I should get an idea of how often new stuff gets added.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on December 22, 2016, 08:23:46 PM
I think they take away as many as they add; I've seen the total number of shows vary between 47 and 52 since this thread started, but it always seems to hover around 50. I haven't kept track so I don't know if they're adding shows that are completely new to the service or just keeping the same ones in rotation.

Anyway I've signed up for the trial now, and ticked the option to notify me of new shows, so I should get an idea of how often new stuff gets added.

Ah I wasn't aware of that, will have to click the option too as it'll be interesting to see what comes and goes.

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on December 22, 2016, 09:51:12 PM
Any Joseph Morpurgo?

Sadly not, I loved Soothing Sounds For Baby a ridiculous amount and would love to watch it again but so far nothing of his on there.

Edit: In case anyone's interested, here's the full list of content currently on the site:

Milton Jones - On The Road (audio only)
Dai Henwood - Adapt or Dai
Phil Nichol - The Naked Racist
Discover Ben Target
Richard Todd
Patrick Turpin - To Me, You Are Perfect
Colin Hoult/Anna Mann - A Sketch Show For Depressives
Lou Sanders - What's That Lady Doing?
Tiernan Douieb - The World is Full of Idiots...
Grainne Maguire - Great People Making Great Choices
Luisa Omielan - Am I Right Ladies
Pat Cahill - D.O.T.T.
Sean McLoughlin - Kamikaze (Extended)
Michael Odewale
Roya Shadmand
Tom Gidman
Adam Mastroianni
Lou Sanders - Another Great Show Again
Frank Carson
Mike Reid
Tim Vine - Punslinger (Audio Only)
Mark Smith - Old Smudge
Jim Bowen
Tommy Cooper - The Very Best Of (Audio Only)
Andy Field
Morgan Rees
Sean Hughes - Penguins
Rhod Gilbert - & the Award Winning Mince Pie (Audio Only)
Tony Law - Brainporium
An Hour and Some of Tony Law
Richard Herring - Lord of the Dance Settee
Bobby Mair
Fern Brady - Male Comedienne
Marcel Lucont - Gallic Symbol
Simon Munnery - Hello
Eric Rushton
Rahul Kohli
Tony Law - Maximum Nonesense
Funmbi Omotayo
Josh Jones
Tony Law - Go Mr Tony Go
John Hastings - Integrity
Andrea Hubert - Week
Tom Ward - Sex, Snails and Cassette Tapes
Brennan Reece - Everglow
Twins - Pret a Comedy
Jordan Brookes - The Making Of
Lloyd Langford - Rascal
Tim Renkow - King of the Tramps
Matt Winning - Ragnarok
Victoria Wood - Live (Audio Only)
Brendon Burns - Selfies in the Grand Canyon
Stuart Laws - So Preoccupied...
Alfie Brown

Small Man Big Horse

Watched a coupe of the "Comedy Students" videos, which are all from Chortle's Student Comedy Award 2016 competition. There's 9 in total, and they're only between 7 - 12 minutes long.

Andy Field - Saw him at the Leicester Square New Comedian Of The Year Final a couple of years ago and really liked him then. He reminds me a little bit of Noel Fielding which I know will horrify many, but he does have the ability to make me laugh. That said I'm not quite sure what to make of this particular set, some bits misfire and he occasionally comes across as slightly arrogant. On the flip side there's a fair bit of funny silliness and daft idiocy throughout, so it is worth watching, but perhaps don't go in with particularly high expectations.

Josh Jones - Finally someone I've not seen before. Caustic and occasionally bitchy this is a bit patchy, but there are some strong moments, and given that these are still early days for him I don't want to judge him to harshly as he definitely shows promise.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 22, 2016, 05:08:35 PM
Jordan Brookes "The Making Of" - I'd seen Jordan do twenty minutes earlier on in the year so had high hopes for this as I'd really loved his set then. And as many mentioned in the Edinburgh thread, he's really all a bit superb and it didn't disappoint at all. It's a tiny bit slow at the beginning but that works as an introduction for the audience to what is an increasingly and pleasingly weird show, and one which is packed with big laughs. The only downside is that the picture quality is quite poor, it looks like it's recorded on video at times, and the colour is very drained. Still it doesn't spoil the show in any way, I just hope that it doesn't put any one off watching it. And I really don't want to seem too critical of the service given how it's the only way to see a lot of these shows now.

I didn't mind the look/stylistic device? of it as much as the cutaways to the audience, camera operators etc at points when the humour relies on actually seeing Brookes

Small Man Big Horse

Yeah that annoyed me as well, and I've no idea why they edited it the way they have, it seems a really odd decision.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 23, 2016, 05:33:57 PM
Watched a coupe of the "Comedy Students" videos, which are all from Chortle's Student Comedy Award 2016 competition. There's 9 in total, and they're only between 7 - 12 minutes long.

Oh, really? Aren't they available to watch for free on the Chortle website? Disappointing if they're padding out their catalogue with stuff you can watch for free elsewhere.

Come to think if it, I bet some of the comedians on NextUp have their stuff up on YouTube as well.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on December 23, 2016, 11:32:59 PM
Oh, really? Aren't they available to watch for free on the Chortle website? Disappointing if they're padding out their catalogue with stuff you can watch for free elsewhere.

Just checked and Chortle have uploaded clips from those comedians but they're only one to two minutes long, so at least most of the material on nextup is new.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 24, 2016, 12:03:07 AM
Just checked and Chortle have uploaded clips from those comedians but they're only one to two minutes long, so at least most of the material on nextup is new.

I'm sure they've posted the full sets in previous years. Maybe this year they've sold them to NextUp instead. I hope the acts are getting some of the money.

olliebean

Added: Norman Lovett - Outside The Box.

I didn't get a notification, though. I've just been sorting by release date and checking if anything new appears at the top.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for the info, I saw Lovett in 2009 and really enjoyed the set so will definitely be checking that out.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Is it weird that seeing Brookes on there makes me feel a bit like a proud dad?

Small Man Big Horse

Richard Todd - Takes a little while to get going and then is really strong for about fifteen minutes. Then there's a slightly weak middle section before it returns to being very funny again.

One minor complaint with the stand up especially recorded for the site is that so far nearly all of the acts I've watched have mentioned editing out various bits and calling attention to the fact it's being filmed, which gets a bit tiresome after a while. I know it's a thing pro comics do as well, and I've probably just been unlucky on that front but it is starting to frustrate a little as it spoils the rhythm of the shows.

Small Man Big Horse

Ben Target - Knew nothing about this guy but I liked him a fair bit. It's daft, silly and often prop based, and whilst not everything lands he's a charismatic comic who's never far away from an amusing moment, and now someone I definitely now plan to see live.

I know I've previously been a bit harsh on the site (and there's been nothing new added since the Lovett set) but I am going to stick with it for a while as it's only £3.50 a month, and I would like to see it grow and succeed.

olliebean

Added: Dai Henwood - Dai Another Day.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on January 09, 2017, 11:15:01 AM
Added: Dai Henwood - Dai Another Day.

Ah, that was already there back in December, but I've noticed they've changed the 'Recently Added' bit so it's not always the latest title at the top.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 09, 2017, 05:36:54 PM
Ah, that was already there back in December, but I've noticed they've changed the 'Recently Added' bit so it's not always the latest title at the top.

Oh, was it? I assumed it was new because it wasn't in your list (unlike the other Dai Henwood show which is still there).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on January 09, 2017, 06:17:12 PM
Oh, was it? I assumed it was new because it wasn't in your list (unlike the other Dai Henwood show which is still there).

Oops, you're completely right there, I fucked up completely and didn't realise he now had two shows on there, sorry about that.

The release date thing is still not working properly though frustratingly, as it claims that the latest addition to the site is An Hour and Some of Tony Law which has been on there since it launched.

olliebean

Yes, I think they must be refreshing certain shows at various intervals resulting in them moving to the top of the list even though they're not new.

Still not getting any notifications about new shows, which makes it more annoying that there's no reliable way on the site to see what's new.

olliebean

Just had an email from them entitled "New Year New Shows", making the claim "Since our launch, we've added a new comedy special every week" (not true, only two new shows in the month I've been a member), and showing "Latest Arrivals" as eight shows at least half of which have been there for ages. (Difficult to tell with the other half though as I've just realised not all the shows available are listed on the "All Shows" page.)

Actually maybe they have added a new show every week, but just not listing them on the "All Shows" page.