Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:11:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New UK Stand Up Streaming Site

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 16, 2016, 01:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Watched Lou Sanders: What's That Lady Doing? tonight and laughed a lot (though, as I said about her latest show in the Edinburgh Fringe thread, if you don't buy into her personality early on then there's nothing for you here), but my main point is how well the Turtle Canyon shows on NextUp are produced - I reckon they do the best job of making you feel like you're in the room since Comedy Vehicle.

Small Man Big Horse

I've rejoined now and watched Holly Burn's The Best of the Burn, and wrote a review of it which ends with:

"It's a show where when you're not laughing out loud you'll be grinning constantly, and you'll witness things here that you won't see anywhere else. Burn has an amazing way with words and is a superb actress, inhabiting a wide variety of characters with ease. This show has instantly elevated Burn in to my list of favourite comedians, and she's one who I plan to see live soon, and as often as possible too."

I also watched 20 minutes of Britain's Got Talent's Daliso Chaponda's show but it wasn't for me. It's by no means bad but it's a bit too mainstream for my tastes and whilst I laughed a few times I couldn't be bothered to stick with it. I might give it a second try, but only when I run out of other things to watch.

I'm about to watch Edward Aczael's show on there, and shall report back as to whether it's good or not, but I think I'll like it as I was very fond of him when I saw him do 20 minutes on a mixed bill a couple of years ago.

Edit: I enjoyed that a lot. It's heavy on audience interaction but in an unconventional way, and it made me laugh a great deal.

Small Man Big Horse

The Delightful Sausage in Cold Hard Cache - A sketch duo with the whole thing framed as if they were teaching the elderly, the unemployed and the unfuckable how to use the internet. It threatens to get slightly Am-dram on occasion but there are a lot of great jokes, and I liked it overall. I get the feeling that they're not quite the finished product just yet, but in a couple of years could be pretty special if they continue to improve, and seeing them live the humour is probably more infectious.

Small Man Big Horse

Alexander Fox - Ringo. I really loved this, it's easily one of the best things on the site. It's a smart piece of storytelling concerning his love for drumming and the band he was a member of during school, it's very funny throughout and he's got some impressive drumming skills to boot.

Small Man Big Horse

Max and Ivan - The Reunion. The first thing I've ever seen by the duo though I've heard they're bloody good for a few years now. And they are, this is an hour long play with them taking on various roles and it's very funny and shockingly likeable stuff, and I definitely plan to see them live now when I get the chance.

Small Man Big Horse

Lauren Pattison - Lady Muck - The first thing on NextUp that I really haven't liked, it's borderline open mic stuff as she rambles on about a failed relationship and her insecurities in a way that I just didn't find funny. Ah well, you can't win them all.

Laura Lexx - Tyrannosaurus Lexx - Thankfully this was much much better, indeed it's one of my favourite things on the site, it takes a little while to get going but there's plenty of fantastically funny moments after that.

Small Man Big Horse

Paul F. Taylor - Pick Of The Litter - Pretty decent sixty minutes from this gagsmith. There's no dead dads, no arc running throughout, just joke after joke, some fall a bit flat but given the amount he trots out it's pretty impressive stuff and I liked it a fair bit.

EbbyVale

Bumping to thank this thread and SMBH for the rec.  It's been a grim spring around here and I don't live near decent stand-up, so I've been greatly enjoying this of an evening.  I may end up scraping the bottom after a while, but I think I'll get my money's worth in the meantime.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: EbbyVale on March 23, 2019, 08:17:34 PM
Bumping to thank this thread and SMBH for the rec.  It's been a grim spring around here and I don't live near decent stand-up, so I've been greatly enjoying this of an evening.  I may end up scraping the bottom after a while, but I think I'll get my money's worth in the meantime.

Glad you're enjoying it, I'm very fond of it still, I only tend to watch a show a week but even then it's pretty decent value for money and I like supporting it too. Out of interest, which shows have you watched so far?

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 24, 2018, 11:33:58 PM
Watched Lou Sanders: What's That Lady Doing? tonight and laughed a lot (though, as I said about her latest show in the Edinburgh Fringe thread, if you don't buy into her personality early on then there's nothing for you here), but my main point is how well the Turtle Canyon shows on NextUp are produced - I reckon they do the best job of making you feel like you're in the room since Comedy Vehicle.

I watched that and really like it, there's the odd clunker but most of the time it made me laugh a lot. I also watched Paul Sinha's show recently, he occasionally comes across as slightly smug but it's pretty funny most of the time.

EbbyVale

I'm starting with known/mentioned names first and then working my way into the wilderness.  There seems to be a lot of Danielle Ward love on CaB, so I watched Seventeen and thought it excellent and have been annoyingly repeating bits of it to friends.  I hadn't heard of Laura Lexx but watched Tyrannosaurus Lexx on your recommendation and found it terrific, so her Trying just got bumped up in the queue.  Miles Jupp Is the Chap You're Thinking Of was a workmanlike spirit-lift of an evening that was certainly worth firing up an iPad for (though I'm not sure if it would have been worth driving in traffic and paying to park for).  I tried Lou Sanders' Another Great Show Again and immediately understood what some posters here are saying about her being irritating; I'll come back to her with What's That Lady Doing? and give her another shot to see if I've developed a better tolerance.  If there's anything you haven't mentioned here yet that you've liked, let me know.

In general, I very much like the intimate and unpolished club feel some of them have.  Somehow that seems fitting when you're watching stuff while horizontal and balancing a screen on your chest.  Not sure I could support the O2.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: EbbyVale on March 24, 2019, 01:28:51 AM
I'm starting with known/mentioned names first and then working my way into the wilderness.  There seems to be a lot of Danielle Ward love on CaB, so I watched Seventeen and thought it excellent and have been annoyingly repeating bits of it to friends.  I hadn't heard of Laura Lexx but watched Tyrannosaurus Lexx on your recommendation and found it terrific, so her Trying just got bumped up in the queue.  Miles Jupp Is the Chap You're Thinking Of was a workmanlike spirit-lift of an evening that was certainly worth firing up an iPad for (though I'm not sure if it would have been worth driving in traffic and paying to park for).  I tried Lou Sanders' Another Great Show Again and immediately understood what some posters here are saying about her being irritating; I'll come back to her with What's That Lady Doing? and give her another shot to see if I've developed a better tolerance.  If there's anything you haven't mentioned here yet that you've liked, let me know.

In general, I very much like the intimate and unpolished club feel some of them have.  Somehow that seems fitting when you're watching stuff while horizontal and balancing a screen on your chest.  Not sure I could support the O2.

I loved both Danielle Ward and Laura Lexx's shows too, they're definitely up their with the best stand up on the site, and I can understand your reaction to Lou Sanders, she's an acquired taste and sometimes very hit and miss. That's interesting about Miles Jupp though as I used to be fond of him, but will probably put it on the back burner until I've run out of shows I really want to to see.

I think the only things I haven't mentioned are Michael Legge's Jerk, which I really really liked a great deal, it's fantastic stuff and it made me a big fan of the man, and all of Tony Law's shows, which are also a thing of beauty.

BritishHobo

Finally signed up to this thanks to your posts and recs, SMBH. Not sure why I didn't do it earlier. I watched Max and Ivan's Reunion and god, it really is good, isn't it? Really brilliantly put together. Funny and sweet and just fantastically written and constructed. They're doing a Work in Progress at Mach Fest in May and I'm thinking I may go see them now.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 24, 2019, 03:26:39 PM
Finally signed up to this thanks to your posts and recs, SMBH. Not sure why I didn't do it earlier. I watched Max and Ivan's Reunion and god, it really is good, isn't it? Really brilliantly put together. Funny and sweet and just fantastically written and constructed. They're doing a Work in Progress at Mach Fest in May and I'm thinking I may go see them now.

I'm glad you're enjoying it too, and I'm pleased you enjoyed Max & Ivan as they're one of my favourite things on the site. I saw them do 15 minutes at the end of January on a mixed bill and their material was really strong then too so I've booked tickets to see them do a work in progress in London in June, and I'd be amazed if you ended up regretting seeing them at the Mach Fest.

Small Man Big Horse

Have watched a couple more shows, really should see more given how much I like the service. Anyhow...

Joz Norris - The Incredible Joz Norris Locks Himself Inside His Own Show, Then Escapes, Against All the Odds!! - I liked this a great deal, he's quite an unusual comedian and there's the odd character inbetween stories and various gags, but he's consistently very funny and I really like the way his mind works, and he's definitely someone I plan to see live very soon.

Gareth Cooper - Mishmash - Whereas I didn't get on with this at all. A musical comedian he has songs about the zombie apocalypse, flashmobs, how if you want a promotion you should expose your penis, and how his girlfriend's father doesn't like him, all of which sound similar, are quite predictable and not that funny at all. It's called Mishmash as it's supposed to be a mix of stand up, poetry and songs but it's 95% the latter, the odd joke and one poem, so the title really doesn't make sense, I'm a fan of musical comedy but this was weak unfortunately.

nugget

I've had a subscription for this for ages but hardly ever watch anything, partly because it's so cheap (if it wasn't so cheap I think I'd be less inclined to just forget about it) and partly because there's so much stuff I've never heard of that it's hard to know where to start. So the reviews here, especially from SMBH, are appreciated.

Anyway I watched Max and Ivan's Reunion based on the recommendations here and really enjoyed it. Not something I would have picked out for myself and my first impression was that this is going to annoy the fuck out of me, but I warmed to it quickly. I'd love to see them live someday but with me not living in the UK I doubt that will ever be possible.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm really glad you liked Max and Ivan, I know what you mean about the first impression they make but it quickly became something I liked a great deal, I saw them live last month and they were great too, so I've bought tickets for their Edinburgh preview next month and hope it'll be equally as strong. What country do you live in, out of interest?

D.J. Demers - [Indistinct Chatter] - A special they've bought rather than been involved in making, he's a Canadian comic who appeared on America's Got Talent which nearly put me off but I'm glad it didn't. It's not the most innovative or amazing piece of stand up and it's fairly conventional stuff but it made me laugh a fair bit, he's got a lot of decent material about the fact that he's deaf that I liked a lot, and though it sags slightly towards the end the final ten minutes are pretty funny again.

EbbyVale

I just watched that one tonight, in fact. I liked that he'd crafted actual decent jokes based on deafness (who thought there'd be a good new Helen Keller joke this millennium?) rather than just plugging it in as a punchline.

My notes on what I've seen are crap, but standouts for me so far include Rachel Parris' Best Laid Plans, which made skillful use of its musical numbers and formed a funny and enjoyable whole; Anne Edmonds' Eddotainment, which had a scathing, robust general mockery that made me think of early Janeane Garofalo; and my favorite, Laura Lexx's Trying, which I feared would get mumsnetty but was hilarious and touching.

Disappointments include Judith Lucy's Ask No Questions of the Moth, which I stopped after 20 minutes (did you know women still like sex after middle age? Are you with me, ladies?) and Tiff Stevenson's Optimist, which lost me with a sustained factory-made section on the Kardashians and was unable to get me back on board with political turns that possessed all the overexcited nous of a teenager on Reddit.

I wish the app would include the year in the descriptions. I don't mind watching older stuff—glad of the chance, in fact—but there's an uncanny valley flavor to political jokes that are nearly but not quite right until you realize it's three PMs ago.

Still enjoying the whole subscription enormously overall.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: EbbyVale on May 02, 2019, 05:02:27 AM
I just watched that one tonight, in fact. I liked that he'd crafted actual decent jokes based on deafness (who thought there'd be a good new Helen Keller joke this millennium?) rather than just plugging it in as a punchline.

My notes on what I've seen are crap, but standouts for me so far include Rachel Parris' Best Laid Plans, which made skillful use of its musical numbers and formed a funny and enjoyable whole; Anne Edmonds' Eddotainment, which had a scathing, robust general mockery that made me think of early Janeane Garofalo; and my favorite, Laura Lexx's Trying, which I feared would get mumsnetty but was hilarious and touching.

Disappointments include Judith Lucy's Ask No Questions of the Moth, which I stopped after 20 minutes (did you know women still like sex after middle age? Are you with me, ladies?) and Tiff Stevenson's Optimist, which lost me with a sustained factory-made section on the Kardashians and was unable to get me back on board with political turns that possessed all the overexcited nous of a teenager on Reddit.

I wish the app would include the year in the descriptions. I don't mind watching older stuff—glad of the chance, in fact—but there's an uncanny valley flavor to political jokes that are nearly but not quite right until you realize it's three PMs ago.

Still enjoying the whole subscription enormously overall.

I don't think your notes are crap in the slightest and I really enjoyed reading them. I've been meaning to watch Rachel Parris's show for a while as I've always liked her when I've seen her live so that'll definitely be what I watch next, and Anne Edmonds will quickly follow due to your recommendation. And I'm glad you liked Laura Lexx too, I'm really fond of her work, and would be amazed if she doesn't start doing really well for herself very soon.

nugget

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 01, 2019, 08:48:39 PM
I'm really glad you liked Max and Ivan, I know what you mean about the first impression they make but it quickly became something I liked a great deal, I saw them live last month and they were great too, so I've bought tickets for their Edinburgh preview next month and hope it'll be equally as strong. What country do you live in, out of interest?

I moved to Germany about 6 months ago but my German is nowhere near good enough yet to appreciate native comedy. I know there's an emerging English-language comedy scene in Berlin but that's at least a couple of hours drive for me. Maybe I'll check out some shows if I happen to be in Berlin sometime but I doubt I would travel there just for that.

It'll be interesting to hear if their Edinburgh show is as good as Reunion. Did you ever catch their Radio 4 series? I'm just wondering if it's worth trying to track down.

Cuellar

I was at uni with Max and Ivan. Nice lads.

Went to one of Max's birthday parties in our third year, they'd hired a coach to take us all into London and go clubbing. Girlfriend and I had been boozing all day at a barbecue, got to the club, had a blazing row, I fell asleep on a sofa, she went to the bogs to cry and wail, I wandered off in a huff, spent about an hour wandering around the West End aimlessly while my girlfriend was on the coach with everyone else, insisting that they're not to leave until I'm found. I eventually turned up, having delayed everyone for ages, and we had another blazing row on the coach home.

I felt utterly mortified the next day. We didn't speak to Max much after that. I wish them every success.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: nugget on May 03, 2019, 12:44:30 PM
I moved to Germany about 6 months ago but my German is nowhere near good enough yet to appreciate native comedy. I know there's an emerging English-language comedy scene in Berlin but that's at least a couple of hours drive for me. Maybe I'll check out some shows if I happen to be in Berlin sometime but I doubt I would travel there just for that.

It'll be interesting to hear if their Edinburgh show is as good as Reunion. Did you ever catch their Radio 4 series? I'm just wondering if it's worth trying to track down.

Ah, I have to confess to not knowing much about the German comedy scene, and can imagine that outside of the major cities there's not much on the English language front so that's a shame to hear. It's one of the reasons I've never wanted to move to anywhere in Europe as I do love live comedy so much, but given the way this country's heading may well do at some point.

And I wasn't aware of their radio 4 series, but would be interested to hear if it's any good.

Quote from: Cuellar on May 03, 2019, 12:49:50 PM
I was at uni with Max and Ivan. Nice lads.

Went to one of Max's birthday parties in our third year, they'd hired a coach to take us all into London and go clubbing. Girlfriend and I had been boozing all day at a barbecue, got to the club, had a blazing row, I fell asleep on a sofa, she went to the bogs to cry and wail, I wandered off in a huff, spent about an hour wandering around the West End aimlessly while my girlfriend was on the coach with everyone else, insisting that they're not to leave until I'm found. I eventually turned up, having delayed everyone for ages, and we had another blazing row on the coach home.

I felt utterly mortified the next day. We didn't speak to Max much after that. I wish them every success.

I shall mention that story to them when I'm at their preview, if only to find out your real name, address and national insurance number.

Cuellar

Oh jesus please don't, I'm sure he won't remember but if he does I'll be crushed. I (and my girlfriend to be fair) was acting like an utter twat.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Cuellar on May 03, 2019, 03:33:43 PM
Oh jesus please don't, I'm sure he won't remember but if he does I'll be crushed. I (and my girlfriend to be fair) was acting like an utter twat.

I was kidding, I'd never do such a thing (at least so someone I like, which luckily applies to you!).

Cuellar

Small Man Big Horse

Just thought I'd bump this due to some fantastic news, as Joseph Morpurgo is going to be recording Hammerhead for the site - https://www.chortle.co.uk/other-news/2019/06/25/43399/adam_hess_and_joseph_morpurgo_to_record_specials

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 27, 2019, 01:39:47 AM
Just thought I'd bump this due to some fantastic news, as Joseph Morpurgo is going to be recording Hammerhead for the site - https://www.chortle.co.uk/other-news/2019/06/25/43399/adam_hess_and_joseph_morpurgo_to_record_specials

Gonna have to subscribe to this now. Part of what's incredibly cool about Morpurgo is how he pulls off unusual, unexpected and sometimes cinematic things within a live theatre experience, so it'll be interesting to see how his stuff comes across when filmed.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 27, 2019, 01:39:47 AM

The poster in that show caused me to laugh so hard that I almost *insert exaggeration*, but you know what I mean.

DenzilHolles

Thanks for alerting me to this , I didn't know about it. Very much looking forward to the Morpurgo one. Hope one day he will record 'Soothing Sounds for Baby' perhaps too.

I started off with the Peter Brush one, as he's always been great when I've seen him live, but this show definitely isn't his best. Shame. I'm sure I'll work through the lot of them quickly though.

DenzilHolles

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 27, 2019, 11:18:30 AM
The poster in that show caused me to laugh so hard that I almost *insert exaggeration*, but you know what I mean.

Oh god yes.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DenzilHolles on June 27, 2019, 12:27:55 PM
Thanks for alerting me to this , I didn't know about it. Very much looking forward to the Morpurgo one. Hope one day he will record 'Soothing Sounds for Baby' perhaps too.

I started off with the Peter Brush one, as he's always been great when I've seen him live, but this show definitely isn't his best. Shame. I'm sure I'll work through the lot of them quickly though.

I'd love it he did Soothing Sounds as well, as I think that's the best thing I've seen this century when it comes to stand up. I'm not sure if it would have quite the same effect given certain parts relied on audience participation but I still definitely hope he does it, along with his earlier shows like Odessa and Truthmouth which I sadly didn't see.