Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:00:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New UK Stand Up Streaming Site

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 16, 2016, 01:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenzilHolles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 27, 2019, 03:01:55 PM
I'd love it he did Soothing Sounds as well, as I think that's the best thing I've seen this century when it comes to stand up. I'm not sure if it would have quite the same effect given certain parts relied on audience participation but I still definitely hope he does it, along with his earlier shows like Odessa and Truthmouth which I sadly didn't see.

"I think that's the best thing I've seen this century when it comes to stand up" Same. And agree about the participation, but it would be a shame if it was lost to time.

I'm gonna give Michael Legge a try next, as I like him very much on Twitter. Very glad this thing exists anyway, and went straight for a years subscription as I'm happy to support it.

DrGreggles

Odessa was the first time I became aware of him and that probably remains my favourite Morpurgo show.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DenzilHolles on June 27, 2019, 03:12:04 PM
"I think that's the best thing I've seen this century when it comes to stand up" Same. And agree about the participation, but it would be a shame if it was lost to time.

I'm gonna give Michael Legge a try next, as I like him very much on Twitter. Very glad this thing exists anyway, and went straight for a years subscription as I'm happy to support it.

I really liked Jerk a lot, I'd seen him live a couple of times before seeing it and was fond of him but not much more than that, whereas Jerk has turned me in to a big fan.

I'd also recommend Anna Mann's show, I saw that recently and loved it a great deal, and I thought Rachel Parris's Best Laid Plans was excellent as well, though whether you feel the same may come down to how much you like musical comedy.

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 27, 2019, 03:22:21 PM
Odessa was the first time I became aware of him and that probably remains my favourite Morpurgo show.

And yet you didn't hire several cameramen and a sound guy to record it for me. Which is just mean.

EbbyVale

It seems like their communications department has suddenly leapt into action, because I got nothing from them for ages and now it's daily. Could be wearing if it just gets churned out but I like this kind of news.

I'm still very much enjoying the service as a whole, too, though I wish the interface would make it easier to track what's new and what I've already seen. I went back to Lou Sanders after getting the hang of her on Taskmaster and laughed a lot at What's That Lady Doing? I also watched Tom Ballard's The World Keeps Happening, which seems to be new (on the service, anyway), and liked that--he's an Australian comic who I hadn't heard of before (that's probably a tautology), and while his subject matter wasn't earth-shatteringly original he brought a snap and vigor to his phraseology and delivery that I found engaging.

Also doing the Go Faster Stripe subscription but that's more devoted to playing catchup.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: EbbyVale on June 28, 2019, 01:43:09 AM
It seems like their communications department has suddenly leapt into action, because I got nothing from them for ages and now it's daily. Could be wearing if it just gets churned out but I like this kind of news.

I'm still very much enjoying the service as a whole, too, though I wish the interface would make it easier to track what's new and what I've already seen. I went back to Lou Sanders after getting the hang of her on Taskmaster and laughed a lot at What's That Lady Doing? I also watched Tom Ballard's The World Keeps Happening, which seems to be new (on the service, anyway), and liked that--he's an Australian comic who I hadn't heard of before (that's probably a tautology), and while his subject matter wasn't earth-shatteringly original he brought a snap and vigor to his phraseology and delivery that I found engaging.

Also doing the Go Faster Stripe subscription but that's more devoted to playing catchup.

I liked Lou's show a lot as well, there was the odd bit which didn't work but as a whole she was superb. I saw her latest on Saturday and that was excellent too, and much more consistent, so I have a feeling she's really going to do well at this year's festival. And I've not seen Tom Ballard's show yet but thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check it out soon.

I just watched The Worst Of George Ryegold (aka comedian Toby Williams) which I thought was really good, it's pretty dark and grim at times but it never feels like it's being edgy for no good reason, he has a great way with words and it made me laugh a lot.

DrGreggles

Joseph Morpurgo's 'Hammerhead' is up.

EbbyVale

Well, that was delightful; got several full honking laughs from me as well as more attractive forms of amusement. Thanks for the heads-up.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: EbbyVale on August 27, 2019, 01:43:00 AM
Well, that was delightful; got several full honking laughs from me as well as more attractive forms of amusement. Thanks for the heads-up.

I saw Hammerhead live and adored it, and while I'm not normally one for watching a live show twice I did with this and loved it even more, I really hope NextUp persuade him to record his older shows for them.

I also saw Roisin and Chiara's show recently, which was great in places and a bit weak in others (the Matrix part was really dated) but they're very likeable and I'll definitely catch them live at some point.

DrGreggles

Not sure the brilliance of Hammerhead completely comes over on video, but it's still great.

Small Man Big Horse

I have to admit that I'm currently no longer a member, I've been seeing so much stand up in real life that along with everything Netflix and Amazon release I didn't have the urge to spend my time watching any more, and today they've sent an email round saying the price is increasing from £4.99 to £9.99. I can't help but feel this is a bit much, I want to support the industry, and the company, and did plan to rejoin at some point in the future, but for them to be charging more than Netflix is a bit extreme and I have a feeling it might backfire unfortunately.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 07, 2020, 06:33:08 PM
I have to admit that I'm currently no longer a member, I've been seeing so much stand up in real life that along with everything Netflix and Amazon release I didn't have the urge to spend my time watching any more, and today they've sent an email round saying the price is increasing from £4.99 to £9.99. I can't help but feel this is a bit much, I want to support the industry, and the company, and did plan to rejoin at some point in the future, but for them to be charging more than Netflix is a bit extreme and I have a feeling it might backfire unfortunately.

I've not received that email - and my subscription is still showing as £4.99.
Does it say when the price increase is due?

Small Man Big Horse

Early next week apparently, but currently it will only apply to new members, with it remaining at £4.99 for existing subscribers. Here's the text of the message:

QuoteBIG CHANGES ARE HAPPENING AT NEXTUP

Hi NextUpper,

From early next week, our monthly membership cost will change from £4.99 per month to £9.99 per month, with our yearly plan changing from £49.99 to £59.99 per year.

But why?

Don't worry, your existing membership cost won't change.

But as we continue to grow as a business, we want to do even more to support the comedy industry, pushing initiatives that support the community and champion diversity.

HOW DOES NEXTUP SUPPORT THE INDUSTRY

50/50 Revenue Share
We split revenue with comedians 50/50, proportioned fairly based on minutes watched. This means half your membership cost goes to the acts, with the other half going towards funding further community projects.

Levelling the playing field
We believe in reflecting the change we want to see in the industry. In 2019, we ran the Grapevine Bursary, aiming to enable more comics of colour, female identifying and non-binary comics to film their shows. We're also running the NextUp Comics' Fund – a financial pot for acts and partners to support endeavours that benefit the comedy or wider community.

Free writing & rehearsal space
We offer free writing and rehearsal space for comedians, with acts having rehearsed their Edinburgh shows, touring shows and Christmas comedy pantomimes alongside workshops and run writing groups. For more on how we support the comedy industry and our mission values, click here

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU
While we're increasing our membership cost to better serve the industry, we're keeping the price the same for our loyal NextUppers! So if you want your friends to get the same amazing deal you have, get them to sign up before early next week to get in before the pricing change.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 07, 2020, 07:01:12 PM
Early next week apparently, but currently it will only apply to new members, with it remaining at £4.99 for existing subscribers.

Not a wise move. There's just not enough content to justify it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 07, 2020, 07:06:29 PM
Not a wise move. There's just not enough content to justify it.

Yeah, that's how I feel, and though some of the shows are superb there's a fair few that are the comedian's first full length hour, and not quite there yet.

Blue Jam

If anyone of you are thinking of signing up and you like Michael Legge, use this link and he'll get £5 commission:

https://nextupcomedy.com/michaellegge/?fp_ref=hellomichaellegge&fbclid=IwAR0LmV5XeYZwazxJg7IhHFwgbyRSQOt6j5ZmTjjPaIy1e3IRpAaZltO3S38

His Embra Fringe show "The Idiot" is great, especially if you're not Graham Linehan.

nugget

I was sure I was only paying about £2.99 or something, so I logged into my account just now and found it elapsed months ago when my credit card expired. That shows how much I've been using it lately. £9.99 seems a bit steep and I expect it will scare away a lot of potential casual viewers who just want to watch a show here and there from the bigger names.

Let my sub lapse a while ago and always meant to get around to renewing. 9.99 is an absolutely insane price, can't see how they could acquire enough archive stuff with netflix, amazon et al around to make it even plausibly worthwhile either

DrGreggles

I think a download option might work, but I suppose there's red tape that prevents it.

Famous Mortimer

QuoteWHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU
While we're increasing our membership cost to better serve the industry, we're keeping the price the same for our loyal NextUppers! So if you want your friends to get the same amazing deal you have, get them to sign up before early next week to get in before the pricing change.
This is (something) creep, right? Like, no-one asked them to provide rehearsal space for comics and a bursary - these are things that businesses can do when they become successful, but they're not "this is the reason we're increasing fees by 100%". Can I have one of the subscriptions that doesn't pay for those things, and just allows me to access standup videos?