Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:20:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

KONG: Skull Island

Started by Butchers Blind, November 17, 2016, 11:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

https://youtu.be/AP0-9FBs2Rs

Trailer feels a bit uneven but at least ol' Kong's walking about on his back legs like proper Kong.

madhair60

Blumf

Have any of the King Kong remakes been successful? They keep on churning them out but they seem to, at best, get a shrug from the critics and audience. Seems to be an odd Hollywood fixation on the first SFX blockbuster.

Alberon

This is just a glorified trailer for another bloody franchise. Kong is that absolutely massive (compared even to his other appearances) so he can fight Godzilla in the movie after next.

When you lose the campy silliness of the Japanese originals there really isn't much left to these monster movies.

Kelvin

Quote from: Blumf on November 17, 2016, 11:48:12 AM
Have any of the King Kong remakes been successful? They keep on churning them out but they seem to, at best, get a shrug from the critics and audience. Seems to be an odd Hollywood fixation on the first SFX blockbuster.

The Jackson one did pretty well, critically and financially.

This latest trailer looked pretty awful, I thought. Lots of terrible CGI, artificial camera work (like the pan through the helicopter), and jarring tone shifts. The reveal of evil lizard monsters living underground was a proper eye-roller.

What do you get if you mix Apocalypse Now, Godzilla, Tropic Thunder, Jurassic Park (2 and 3), Dumb and Dumber, Predator and Tarzan?

A cinematic omelette that will leave you feeling a bit queasy but hopefully still whet your appetite for the next big-bucks franchise.

Bad Ambassador

Here's a fun fact: adjusted for inflation, the 70s Kong is the second-highest grossing film on Jeff Bridges's CV.

mothman

Tom Hiddleston? That's one bubble I can foresee bursting on the back of this. Especially when he scarcely features in the trailer.

Also, when is this set? Or is the preponderance of Vietnam-era US army uniforms and weapons (and helicopters) just a conceit of the director? But at least the poster ripping off of the one for Apocalypse Now makes sense now, what with John C. Reilly's Dennis Hopper imitation.

Replies From View

Will there be a character in this who slips a disc in his back and goes "oof"?

I like it when that happens.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on November 17, 2016, 11:50:20 AM
This is just a glorified trailer for another bloody franchise. Kong is that absolutely massive (compared even to his other appearances) so he can fight Godzilla in the movie after next.

It would have been funnier if they'd just made Godzilla smaller.

Kelvin

Replies From View

Gulftastic

By coincidnece, this has appeared in Leeds City Centre:

Noodle Lizard

The auteur behind it:

Not saying this means it'll be bad or anything.  I'm not saying that.  I'm merely implying it.

Custard

Joe Cornish wanted to write and direct this. They said no

BIT OF TRIVIA FOR YA

Spiteface

Quote from: Alberon on November 17, 2016, 11:50:20 AM

When you lose the campy silliness of the Japanese originals there really isn't much left to these monster movies.

They should just make Godzilla vs King Kong 3 minutes long, and only the fight. Bit like this.

Bazooka

This is 2016 and people are still calling apes monkeys, not to be pedantic or anything(obviously am) but sort it out. I saw one good thing in that trailer and it went by the name John C Reilly.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Bazooka on November 17, 2016, 08:30:57 PM
This is 2016 and people are still calling apes monkeys, not to be pedantic or anything(obviously am) but sort it out.

For all intents and purposes, they're fucking monkeys.  Tomatoes, for all intents and purposes, are vegetables.  It's one of those rare instances where the science just doesn't correspond with brute reality.

Also, monkey is by far the funnier word.

Avril Lavigne

I liked the Steve Brule reference in the trailer.  I'm a big fan of Peter Jackson's interpretation of Skull Island though, I have the Weta Workshop book which details its ecosystem and the evolution and history of its inhabitants in a really in-depth and well-thought-out way.  So far this new version seems a bit shallow.
Those 'skullcrawlers' have a goofy design that makes them look like they belong in a Resident Evil game/movie and it doesn't bode well that the new trailer makes a big deal out of them.

Keebleman

Quote from: Spiteface on November 17, 2016, 08:09:03 PM
They should just make Godzilla vs King Kong 3 minutes long, and only the fight. Bit like this.

No, more like this.

Mango Chimes

"Shit, we've made Kong fucking massive. We can't really do fuck all with him. He can't even really pick anyone up or any of that shit. What do we do? We've got a whole fucking movie to fill!"
"We could pad it out with a load of... smaller... lizard things?"
"Eh, it'll do."

Bhazor

Andy Serkis is so versatile. Bet you didn't even know that was him playing the helicopter.

Glebe

I dunno, it looks stylish and that (going for a bit of a Apocalypse Now vibe... they even have John C. Reilly hanging with the tribe like Dennis Hopper), and there are some nice monsters on display, but Kong is revealed in such a throwaway fashion. There's no mystery there. Anyway... couple of posters while we're at it:

Dr Rock

Seems unlikely the water would be that shallow for that far, especially as it's an island with very steep mountainous features.

Dr Rock

Presumably they wouldn't know how shallow it would be, their plan is to walk about a mile to shore figuring it will never be more than paddling depth?

Dr Rock

Not to mention there's a million foot high monster on the island, they seem a bit too sanguine about that.

madhair60

That monkey's massive! It can't be real.