Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

KONG: Skull Island

Started by Butchers Blind, November 17, 2016, 11:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on November 18, 2016, 09:39:29 AM
That monkey's massive! It can't be real.

It's been filmed through the shit end of a telescope; don't you even know that.

There's nothing to smash up on an island. I'll hold off on this franchise until the giant monsters fight each other in a city.

Replies From View

I must say I can't really get my head around watching anything - even cities - being smashed up again and again in film after film.  No matter how different it looks, it feels exactly the same to me.

greenman

You could probably argue Jacksons Kong is the best thing he's done since Lord of the Rings minus 1-2 effective action sequences like that dino chase.

A bit depressing to see this look so formulaic as Godzilla at least had some individually to it even if it was ultimately all in service of big monsters smashing up a city, watch it make 3 times what Jacksons film did.

Kelvin

I think Jackson's Kong is really good, if you can get past the turgid first hour on the boat. Once they arrive at the island, the film's pretty damn great.

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on November 18, 2016, 11:28:49 AM
I think Jackson's Kong is really good, if you can get past the turgid first hour on the boat. Once they arrive at the island, the film's pretty damn great.

I actually like the opening and of course the skull island intro, the weakness for me is as with the Hobbit films that he's a bit too keen on his extended CGI thrill rides. Some of them like Kong fighting the T-rex's are great but others like the Dino stampede become rather dull.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Skull Island is a beautiful place, with a vibrant culture and a proud history. These films are offensive. Stand with me Kelvin!

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 18, 2016, 11:37:04 AM
Skull Island is a beautiful place, with a vibrant culture and a proud history. These films are offensive. Stand with me Kelvin!

Our people will not be oppressed.

Steven

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 18, 2016, 10:32:44 AM
There's nothing to smash up on an island. I'll hold off on this franchise until the giant monsters fight each other in a city.

The original screen tests for the 9/11 TV fakery featured extended tag-team bouts betwen Godzilla, Kong, Mothra and King Ghidora, who eventually bring down the twin towers during the melee but this didn't test well in the Pentagon so they changed it to passanger planes at the last minute.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Replies From View on November 18, 2016, 11:24:32 AM
I must say I can't really get my head around watching anything - even cities - being smashed up again and again in film after film.  No matter how different it looks, it feels exactly the same to me.

Same here, my eyes glaze over and I start daydreaming when I see CG debris flying around for more than a few seconds.

Quote from: greenman on November 18, 2016, 11:25:49 AM
You could probably argue Jacksons Kong is the best thing he's done since Lord of the Rings minus 1-2 effective action sequences like that dino chase.

Kong is definitely my favourite thing that he's done (although Braindead, Bad Taste and The Frighteners are all great).  It is ridiculously long but I actually like the slow build-up towards discovering the island and all the introductory character development stuff.  It's clear he loves the original and instead of reinventing and modernizing it he took everything that was already there and just fleshed it out a lot more, even keeping the 1933 setting which I'm sure the studio would have hated.

Thomas

Quote from: greenman on November 18, 2016, 11:31:06 AM
I actually like the opening and of course the skull island intro, the weakness for me is as with the Hobbit films that he's a bit too keen on his extended CGI thrill rides. Some of them like Kong fighting the T-rex's are great but others like the Dino stampede become rather dull.

Obviously there's necessarily a lot of disbelief-suspension at play, but, in Jackson's King Kong, I just don't understand why those T. rexes[nb]sorry, 'V. rexes'.[/nb] are so keen on eating Naomi Watts.[nb]oi.[/nb] She's the smallest thing on the island, and she's being protected by the biggest. Just slope off and find a ten-foot centipede to chomp.

It's like rats fighting a bear for a fish finger.

Serge

I will only go and see this if they rename it 'Skull: Kong Island'.

Replies From View

Quote from: Serge on November 18, 2016, 07:55:10 PM
I will only go and see this if they rename it 'Skull: Kong Island'.

What if they rename it as per the first tag of this thread?

Small Man Big Horse

I dunno why. I just don't know.

Replies From View

Serge

Quote from: Replies From View on November 18, 2016, 08:08:07 PM
What if they rename it as per the first tag of this thread?

Oh, I've already seen that movie.

Replies From View

Quote from: Serge on November 18, 2016, 08:46:16 PM
Oh, I've already seen that movie.

Not the remake you haven't!!

How are they doing the ape size then? Is it like football, where all the players are really really small?[nb]People will tell you that football games are broadcast from above. They're not. They really are that small, and that's why you never see a footballer in real life. [/nb]

Replies From View

Quote from: A Car With No Doors on November 18, 2016, 09:21:28 PM
How are they doing the ape size then? Is it like football, where all the players are really really small?[nb]People will tell you that football games are broadcast from above. It's not. They really are that small, and that's why you never see a footballer in real life. [/nb]

It's not specifically football, it's everyone on television who has been shrunk to fit inside your television.

Fucking football fans, eh.  They think the world ends where the pitch ends.

A) Knock knock
B) Who's there?
A) Football
B) Football who?
A) Fuckin weeeeeeeey whhhoooooooooor lads eh whhhuuuuuuuuurrrrrrr ahahaaaa yeah all woooooohhheeerrr yeah haha!  Fuckin wooooooooooooeerr!!!   Birds eh!

Quote from: Replies From View on November 18, 2016, 09:29:46 PM
Fucking football fans, eh.  They think the world ends where the pitch ends.

There's no such thing as a real football fan though, if you look really closely you can see they're just coats attached to bits of tubing.

Anyways, I like monkeys so this film will be great, and that's all I have to say. Anyone who disagrees will be negged instantly.

Replies From View

Quote from: A Car With No Doors on November 18, 2016, 09:33:57 PM
There's no such thing as a real football fan though, if you look really closely you can see they're just coats attached to bits of tubing.

So basically Doctor Who fans are fans of football fans.

The biggest irony ever.

Glebe

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 18, 2016, 09:05:31 AMSeems unlikely the water would be that shallow for that far, especially as it's an island with very steep mountainous features.

I'm no expert but that seems like a reasonable assertion.

[FAKE EDIT]

Noodle Lizard

Count me as another fan of Jackson's version of King Kong.  The consensus now seems to be that it was shit[nb]and on paper it should've been: a bigheaded Peter Jackson directing a 3-hour remake of King Kong starring Jack Black?[/nb], but I certainly don't remember people saying that when it came out.  For me, it's a cinema trip I haven't forgotten - it was great, near Christmas, packed theatre and it felt like everyone was properly into it in a way I haven't seen since except maybe the new Mad Max.  Unlike so many action/adventure movies now, it was properly good fun, and the three hours or so flew by. 

It's what a remake should be, I reckon - faithful to the source, but fleshed out and reimagined in a way which wouldn't have been possible given the limits of 1930s cinema.  Jackson's interest in the original was made clear by his inclusion of some of its notorious "lost scenes".  It definitely came off like a work of passion rather than a job.

I don't have high hopes for this one, sadly.  That Godzilla was shite, and I have no time for its defenders.

Serge

Quote from: Replies From View on November 18, 2016, 09:09:44 PM
Not the remake you haven't!!

Three hours of Peter Jackson straining before a massive turd slides across a frozen pond?

Custard

Quote from: Kelvin on November 18, 2016, 11:28:49 AM

There's a great fan-edit that lops off that first hour, and starts with them on the boat. It makes for a much better film

Doesn't improve the terrible CGI of the dinosaurs, mind

Replies From View

Quote from: Serge on November 19, 2016, 01:20:14 PM
Three hours of Peter Jackson straining before a massive turd slides across a frozen pond?

That, except
Spoiler alert
REMADE
[close]
[/b].

Serge

With Rory McGrath playing Peter Jackson?

Kelvin

Quote from: Serge on November 19, 2016, 07:23:19 PM
With Rory McGrath playing Peter Jackson?

With Rory McGrath as the huge ape that follows a woman home.

Glebe

Glebe