Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:53:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

KONG: Skull Island

Started by Butchers Blind, November 17, 2016, 11:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Glebe on February 05, 2017, 04:38:42 PM
The Horror... The Horror... Behold The Imax KONG: SKULL ISLAND Poster!

That's a pretty heavy-handed homage.

It's a shame that, generally speaking, the only way we get painted or stylised posters these days is when they're referencing something older.

Head Gardener

kidsick5000

So even if this flops, will we still get Godzilla vs Kong Kong?

Replies From View

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 10, 2017, 03:06:12 AM
So even if this flops, will we still get Godzilla vs Kong Kong?

Nah mate, you know the rules.  We'll need a new origin story again first.

biggytitbo

Presumably King Kong is made of sticklebrick or something in this?

Replies From View

Glebe

Glebe

Kyle Chandler to Co-Star as Millie Bobby Brown's Dad in 'Godzilla' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE).

Just thought I'd post this here, since it connects to the new Kong universe and seeing as Chandler was in Jackson's Kong and that.

Replies From View

They should assume we don't give a shit about Millie Bobby Brown and his family.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Speaking of Godzilla, this new King Kong uses the exact same line about atom bomb tests being used to kill the monster. That seems rather naff.

Spiteface

Josef K

I wasn't particularly interested in this until I saw the latest trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

Some weird tonal shifts in the trailer but it works incredibly

Glebe

Yeah, that's a bit more like it.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Josef K on February 28, 2017, 10:19:48 AM
I wasn't particularly interested in this until I saw the latest trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

Some weird tonal shifts in the trailer but it works incredibly

Great trailer but we've been burned by this sort of thing in Suicide Squad before.
They've brought someone in to remix the trailer.
It doesn't bode well for the film

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The film also has Toby Kebell in it, which seems to be the kiss of death for would be blockbusters.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 28, 2017, 01:58:57 PM
The film also has Toby Kebell in it, which seems to be the kiss of death for would be blockbusters.

Outside of his role as Loki, Tom H has hardly been a hit factory.

Sorry, all this must seem like I'm out to shoot the film down in flames before it's out. I'm not. I love all things ape but I do wonder how much story there is in this thing

Kelvin

I just think it looks totally charmless. The skull Crawler lizards look about as generic as monsters come and everything they've shown so far looks like a watered down, less interesting take on the Jackson film.

I honestly think this film will flop. It has no buzz around it, the trailers have met with almost no response, and it's coming out only one week after a very, very well received comic book film in Logan. 

kidsick5000

Quote from: Kelvin on February 28, 2017, 08:05:41 PM
a watered down, less interesting take on the Jackson film.

I think that is my main gripe. Unless a really big surprise is pulled off, this is just another version of the skull Island segment from Jackson's Kong, which given the length of that film, was hardly skimped on. Pretty much the length of a movie in itself.

Bazooka

Bloody hell, it makes the Jackson tripe seem ingestible.

Replies From View

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 28, 2017, 08:49:02 PM
I think that is my main gripe. Unless a really big surprise is pulled off, this is just another version of the skull Island segment from Jackson's Kong, which given the length of that film, was hardly skimped on. Pretty much the length of a movie in itself.

Kids of today will not watch a 2005 film that lacks teal and orange autotuning.  Jackson's Kong is DEAD.

Bad Ambassador

Kebbell was on the new Planet of the Apes films.

Early tracking has this down as a flop, taking around half of Logan's take in the U.S., despite the lower certificate around 150% of the budget.

Bhazor

kidsick5000

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Funke on March 02, 2017, 10:12:26 PM
Robbie Collin

QuoteI had a very bad time with acid.  I did that classic thing of looking in the mirror by mistake and seeing King Kong from Skull Island, looming over me all large.  But I took it several times, because you always think that next time you might have the wonderful time that everyone else is having.  But you never do, do you.

It emerges that King Kong is not very stupid and is very feral instead.  Very hard to train.  It's a shock to realise.

See, what you're meant to do when you have a mid-life crisis is buy a fast car, right?  Well, I've always had fast cars.  Loads of them already.  So it wasn't that.  Instead a mid-life crisis should be a fear that you're past your best.  That's what I dream of.  The fear that the stuff you've done in the past is your best work, and you start yearning for a future of trying to smuggle that bigfoot Harry into your home.  Do you recall that guy who followed me behind the scenes on that?  It was quite instant that he wanted Harry's approval.  Did you notice that?  And the children sort of rescued him this time.  It's a great turnabout.  That's what happens as your children get older.  They do things for you, and it's quite shocking when they do. 

And it doesn't matter that Harry was always a bigfoot rather than a King Kong.  Ultimately we have to take them as the same or where would we be?  We are all the same underneath.  Is it just me, or is the world full of beautiful women?

My dad?  He died when I was 19, which is a bad time for your dad to die, because there's an awful lot of things you have to resolve with your parents past your teens if you've been a difficult teenager, doing things like smuggling a King Kong into the house.  Calling it Harry didn't save my dad's life.  And I doubt it'll save yours.

Robbie Coltrane

biggytitbo

I wish someone would maKe a film where a giant man, preferably Robbie Coltrane, terrorises loads of those tiny spider monkeys.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 02, 2017, 11:21:38 PM
I wish someone would maKe a film where a giant man, preferably Robbie Coltrane, terrorises loads of those tiny spider monkeys.

How dare you wish that upon such a national treasure as Robert Coltrane.  You don't love him.

Custard

Glebe

Has gotten a few fairly so-so reviews... still, currently 83% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Cool Stuff: Karl Fitzgerald's 'Kong: Skull Island' Prints.

Very nice work.

Replies From View

83% for a prequel film about why a big ape ended up fighting a dinosaur in King Kong sounds miraculous to me.

I personally just pray they don't mess up the continuity.  I like the way they're using excessive teal and orange to bridge from the colour of our world to the monochrome of 1933's Kong film, though.  Very smart thinking of them.