Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ark: Survival Evolved

Started by Barry Admin, November 20, 2016, 12:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Anyone play this? Wanted it for aaages, but was always put off by the frame-rate issues, hitching, and general jankyness. It's back on sale now, though, so I've taken the plunge.

Early access game on PC and Xbox, coming to PS4 soon I believe. Another survival game, only with building and respawning elements of landscape. In other words, trees etc can be chopped down but will reappear. I don't think you can actually alter the environment by digging etc.

The main attraction is it has dinosaurs. Lots of fucking dinosaurs. You can kill them for resources, or TAME them to act as mounts and bodyguards.

You also play on servers which I believe can hike 70/100 players, which is where it seems to get really interesting as players can form tribes, and raid other players. This is said to give the game a real element of tension, as you don't know if you're going to log on and see if all your stuff has been wrecked.

I've found what seems like a decent official server, and made a small base near another bigger one. Waiting for an invite to a tribe, and just grinding up the tech levels. The social aspect of this game is meant to be the really interesting thing about it.

BeardFaceMan

Like pre orders and microtransactions, I've sworn off early access games, it's another trend in gaming I dont like and dont want to support, Im not paying a company to be their beta tester. And this game especially can fuck off, releasing paid dlc when you havent finished the base game is fucking outrageous.

Penfold

I haven't played it but watched a lot of it on Twitch when it was released. I liked watching a role play stream, then I stopped.

Why is it still in early access? Didn't they cancel the survival of the fittest stuff to finish the main game? How many more dinosaurs are they going to add?

Barry Admin

Yeah they keep pushing the release date back. I think that - and the aforementioned paid DLC - are all a result of a really nasty $40 million lawsuit they had brought against them.

Barry Admin

Spent about 40 minutes taming my first Trike there, so I could ride about on it gathering stuff a lot quicker. Then a fucking Trex shows up on my peaceful beachside property and pushes my shit in. Hadn't seen one in this area before! Gathered my stuff after I respawned but it was too late, the Trike had woke up and fucked off.

Things go back to normal, I'm just gathering stuff up, then the Trex suddenly reappears, arghh! I run into the water to try and get away from it, faced with the prospect of freezing and drowning to death, vs being eaten.

Just as I'm about to die, the Trex falls over in the water. Cool, I drowned it! Then I look up in the sky and see two flying dinos, one is just hovering in place, so I know they must have other players riding them. They must have thrown spears at the Trex to save me! They disembark and start chasing around the super turkeys that are part of the current event. I make thankful emotes, hoping to make contact, but before long they've mounted their flying beasts again and taken off. I think they might be German.

My first human contact on this island, and it was pretty awesome and totally unexpected. My only concern is that I'd been trying to stay hidden and undercover, trying not to draw attention to myself. Now, though, they know I'm here...

Barry Admin

This is fucking amazing. I finally got a Parasaur to ride about on, seems fairly useless but a start, my first successful tame. Then I got a Trike, yaaaas, can agree berries a lot quicker. So then I didn't want to leave them out in the open, so I spent hours fencing off my base, adding dino gates, then lastly a feeding trough. Took till half 4 this morning, but I was loving it, absolutely engrossed.

Took the Trike out for a ride this morning, still sleepy, immediately aggroed a level 140 Trike and him and his mate killed me and my new mount. Stupid, forgot how dangerous it is here, but lesson learned.

Got a small bit of farming going, getting more advanced things like a forge and smithy on the go, lovely stuff. Also noticed a small shack set up nearby overnight, a new neighbour.

So at the minute I've spent days in this small bay on the beach, building up and getting new things to make. I haven't dared venture any further! My goal now is to get a new Trike, but also to get one of the bird-like creatures, so I can begin to explore the rest of the map.   I really can't wait to see the other biomes, and leave this small area.

A level 85 Bronto has spawned, stuck in a wall right at my base. I daren't try and take it down just yet, I guess, in case it smashes up my base. It's fucking massive, though. So tempting to use my new crossbow to fire a load of tranq darts into its hole, but I guess taming at this stage would take literally hours anyway.

Hangthebuggers

Guessing it's not *ahem* try before you buy is it?

Barry Admin

Barry Admin

It already feels like one of the greatest games I've ever played. A new dinosaur keeps turning up every so often on my wee beach base. I'm about to build a raft so I can do a bit of exploring, in lieu of getting my wings. Should be a demo available on PC.

The upcoming Tek Tier stuff looks ridiculously cool, although I'm glad you can still keep it primitive and get rid of stuff like that on certain servers. https://youtube.com/watch?v=2gNkKNFDq4E

Barry Admin

On sale on Steam and Xbox at the minute.

Still Not George

I love this game to bits but my current rig just absolutely fucking creaks on it. So I'm loungeing about in 7 Days To Die until I can upgrade.

madhair60

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 20, 2016, 12:45:47 PM
Anyone play this? Wanted it for aaages, but was always put off by the frame-rate issues, hitching, and general jankyness. It's back on sale now, though, so I've taken the plunge.

Early access game on PC and Xbox, coming to PS4 soon I believe. Another survival game, only with building and respawning elements of landscape. In other words, trees etc can be chopped down but will reappear. I don't think you can actually alter the environment by digging etc.

The main attraction is it has dinosaurs. Lots of fucking dinosaurs. You can kill them for resources, or TAME them to act as mounts and bodyguards.

You also play on servers which I believe can hike 70/100 players, which is where it seems to get really interesting as players can form tribes, and raid other players. This is said to give the game a real element of tension, as you don't know if you're going to log on and see if all your stuff has been wrecked.

I've found what seems like a decent official server, and made a small base near another bigger one. Waiting for an invite to a tribe, and just grinding up the tech levels. The social aspect of this game is meant to be the really interesting thing about it.

Got it with a Humble Monthly a while back, but yet to install. Takes up a shedload of space! How easy is it to get to grips with?

Barry Admin

Quote from: madhair60 on November 25, 2016, 01:29:41 PM
Got it with a Humble Monthly a while back, but yet to install. Takes up a shedload of space! How easy is it to get to grips with?

It's meant to be hard as it tells you nothing, but I found it straight forward enough once I figured out you can pick up berries and stones. Then you can eat the berries while you get set up and find small animals to farm for meat. As you level up you pick engrams to unlock, which are recipes for crafting.

It IS very time-consuming, but wildly enjoyable, and like 7 Days To Die, there's a good focus on actually having to survive. It's 2x taming, xp and gathering this weekend, so a great time to try it out.

Over the last few days I finally got another raft built (had a raptor incident when I was about to launch the first one.) So I finally got to head off into the unknown, precariously checking out some of the rest of the huge map. Saw some impressive-looking player bases, stole some dino eggs, and sailed home again.

I've been slowly adding to my stable of dinos, mostly just stuff like Dodo's dino can farm their eggs to make kibble. Last night, I figured out how to trap a Pteranodon, and tamed him with the dodo kibble, yaaaas! Finally I will be able to take to the skies, err, once I go to another part of the island and farm enough Chitin.

Barry Admin

When I woke up today, there were pillars on the beach in front of my property. I was mildly irked. Then I found out that pillars are used to stop anyone else building in that area, and I was FUCKED OFF!

In the few hours I slept, some tribe used the new transfer function to move in all their dinos, and build a massive base just next to me. That's ok, but what irked me was them slapping these pillars on my lovely beach. Someone else on the server offered me some space to build on after I vented, so I'll probably go and visit once I get my wings, but I didn't want to give up my first build!  I've gotten remarkably attached to this small area of land over the last week.

Happened to see them flying over me on dragons half an hour ago and begged them to remove the pillars. They said no at first, but eventually relented, yaaaass! So now I have staked my own claim and can build out my base some more, especially since I've got more dinos tamed now. Tempted to also join a pvp server but I heard they're really cunty.

Anyway, just continually amazed by this game, never played anything like it. I've probably only seem about 5%of the map, if that. The infrequent meetings with players are so weird as you're very isolated at the start. You see people in the chat box often, but generally only SEE them as they fly over you on their dragon or whatnot.

I was attending to matters on my house and heard this massive roar outside. Walked out and there was a massive Trex with a player on it, I followed him and waved, and he showered me with resources. Moments like that are indescribably cool. I loved minecraft, but this really takes it to a whole new level. Just an astonishing game.

Barry Admin

Barry Admin

This game really is brutal! I lost my best bird last night after getting ambushed, lost my first one the night before after unadvisedly going for a drunken nighttime flight. Gonna get a few new backups tamed tonight before 2x taming wears off. Taking to the skies has been amazing, hovering over all those other player builds, and getting to survey a bit more of the map. Really tempted by the DLC while its on offer, as its apparently an even more challenging survival experience.

Barry Admin

Bump. Decided to get back into this as I don't really feel like going back to Minecraft at the minute, and I wanted to check out all the new updates. Like dinosaurs that shoot lasers and all that high tech shit.

Just playing single player as MP takes over your life, unless you find a server with certain changes made. For niw, I'm happy to just build and explore on my own, with fast taming and double gathering turned on. It really is a remarkable game in many ways, with some of the best "firsts" of any game I think I've ever played.

You ever get it installed madhair? Anyone else play?

Kryton

Bump.

Installing this now. Will report back. What are the DLC's like? I think I got a few in an offer.

Kryton

Sad to say I bumped this thread for nothing as it wouldn't install properly and I'm not waiting for a refund.