Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Original & Sequel(s) = shit.

Started by Z/Sb, November 16, 2004, 03:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z/Sb

It's bad enough when you hate a film but when it's hugely successful and it spawns a sequel or even more sequels it makes you wonder "what the fuck?!"
So I thought I'd start a thread and read in interest (if anyone is interested) what movies, which have spawned sequels, you hate. The movies don't have to be hugely successful, that's just an example I used for my own choices but whatever movie(s), bare in mind this is where you hate both the original movie and its offspawn or you haven't even gone near them in the first place because the idea is too sickening...

My go first:
Sister Act - admittedly, the first was a bit of a novelty hit but I hated it so much I had no intention of seeing a follow-up unlike everyone else at the time it seemed.

Look Who's Talking - I couldn't believe how popular these were, have never watched any of them and never will, and the same goes for  The Land Before Time series.

You'd probably expect the Police Academy movies to be in this list but I'm actually a bit of a fan of those crappy movies!...

PeachSmints

The Fast and the Furious and 2Fast 2Furious.
TESTOSTERONE!! EVEN MORE TESTOSTERONE!! VROOOOOOM!

Suttonpubcrawl

Testosterone is bad for you and makes you die earlier than you otherwise would. FACT.

Rev

I don't really get this.  Does the first one have to be rubbish?  I'm not sure what 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' is doing on your list if that's the case.  Swap in 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' before anyone notices.

Z/Sb

Quote from: "Rev"I don't really get this.  Does the first one have to be rubbish?  I'm not sure what 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' is doing on your list if that's the case.  Swap in 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' before anyone notices.

It's all down to personal choice. I mean, not everybody thinks that Sister Act or Look Who's Talking is rubbish but I do. It's pretty obvious that those What You Did Last Summer movies are crap and, personally,  I'd also include the Scream and the Scary Movies in there too - although I quite liked what I saw of Scary Movie 3. The whole idea of this is for you to put movies in where you thought this is crap, why's it so popular, why's it got an even crapper sequel?
I admit I made a mistake by including Nightmare On Elm Street, solely because when I originally saw the film as a teenager I liked it (and the others) at the time - it's only now I'm not keen on them. So I'm deleting it - thanks for pointing that out! ;)

Those Fast & Furious movies are great examples by the way and how about:
Charlies Angels & Charlies Angels: Full Throttle while we're at it...

Actually, being a bit more awake now I can see that this thing isn't really gonna work and a bit of a waste of everyone's time! That's late nights for you... I apologise for this thread so please just ignore it and let it die!

Jaffa The Cake

"Bridget Jone's Diary - Hugh Grant annoys the fuck out of Jaffa using only his face"

Sorry, I'm going to be forced to see this at the weekend.

rjd2

red dragon... how dare they remake a classic and fuck it up so much.
Silence and Hannibal were also crap.

Jaffa The Cake

Hey now. Silence of the Lambs was good. Red Dragon wasn't as good as Manhunt, yes, but it was better than Hannibal.

gazzyk1ns

All those (relatively) new Jackie Chan "buddy" films. I know some of them technically aren't sequels to others but they are all exactly the same dire, annoying film, so...

rjd2

hollywood stop remaking classic horror flicks.

DonkeyRhubarb

Quote from: "rjd2"hollywood stop remaking classic horror flicks.

Ok. sorry.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

American Pie - what a completely shoddy film that was; lazy acting, cheap, witless writing, constantly flicking from humourless gross-out gags to detestable sentimentality. And yet they made two hugely successful sequels, repeating the same jokes, and managing to be just as awful, and indeed, the third one's even worse (LOOK! He's having sex with an old woman! Woah! Lesbians!) For the love of Christ, stop making teenage movies.

gazzyk1ns wrote:

QuoteAll those (relatively) new Jackie Chan "buddy" films. I know some of them technically aren't sequels to others but they are all exactly the same dire, annoying film, so...

Rush Hour 1 & 2 are hellish films to sit through. Personally, it wasn't so much Chan's annoying kung-fu-slapstick, rather than Chris Tucker's bone-chilling screech.

rjd2

Quote from: "DonkeyRhubarb"
Quote from: "rjd2"hollywood stop remaking classic horror flicks.

Ok. sorry.

its a bit late for sorry

shit as fuck

Being the kind of man who likes to set light to unattended children in supermarkets and put broken glass in sandpits, I hate all Disney films.

What I hate even more though is the cheap money-spinning sequels that Disney has now resorted to making.  Mulan 2?  The Lion King 2 (3 + 4?)?  Only available on DVD, eh?  Because they're shit, thats why.  But that evil fucker of a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing corporation knows how to get the kiddies whining at mum and dad to spend £21.99 or however much DVDs cost now.

I dont know why this annoys me so much, I don't have any kids (nor am I allowed to have any), there's just something so very...'anti-artistic' about it.

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "Z/Sb"IYou'd probably expect the Police Academy movies to be in this list but I'm actually a bit of a fan of those crappy movies!...

Police Academy was the first thing I bought after getting a DVD player.  The first two films are fucking ace, the next couple are OK, but they're let down by a number of shit sequels.  As soon as Steve Guttenberg went on to bigger and better things (such as 'High Spirits' and 'Cocoon' - there's a lesson for us all in there somewhere), the wheels fell off.  I still laugh my arse off at the first couple though.

petercussing

Speed 2. Nuff said. Speed was shit, but everyone liked it, cos "it was just a bit of fun".

If i even met anyone involved with Speed 2 i would find it hard to not beat the shit out of them for taking the piss out of all the poor of the world by almost literally spunking tens of millions of dollars, and i'd get my fiver back that i paid to watch it at the cinema after my friends finally persuaded me that it might be alright "just for a laugh".

Grrr, even now it makes me mad to think i fed some lazy, obnoxious producers ching habit for the second it took him to snort the flecks of coke it would take to cost a fiver. Fucking pricks.

The only film to ever make me seath with anger as i watched it.

As you might be able to tell.

Hollywoods Film makers: Lazy, focus group obsessed cunts!

petercussing

QuotePolice Academy was the first thing I bought after getting a DVD player. The first two films are fucking ace, the next couple are OK, but they're let down by a number of shit sequels.

I have a bizzarre fondness for the first couple of Police Academy films, though having watched them recently(ish) i can't say i like the second one quite as much, but hey, to me it is the blueprint for all crazy 80's screwball comedies (a genre i have a strange fondness of) there after, and Guttenberg was fantastic as Mahoney.

One of my best bits is when one of the two bullies from Police Academy 1 calls Mahoney, "Ma-homo". With that one phrase i think he summed up that ineffable spirit of the 80's.

QuoteAs soon as Steve Guttenberg went on to bigger and better things (such as 'High Spirits' and 'Cocoon'

You missed out Jagged Edge inspired hard edge thiller "The Bedroom Window" and how could you forget Short Circuit!!!

Mr Colossal

I felt this way about spiderman 2. It could have been the first film in its own right, even though i havn't seen all of the first one.

It seems the trend now is to deliberately leave chunks out of the plot so they can knock out a trilogy/sequel of its back as soon as possible.

Kill bill 2 was another offender. Lets fuck Quentins idea of having one long film when we can make twice as much money by cutting it in half and selling seperately. Ive only seen the first matrix, but ill add this seeing as they made parts 2 and 3 at the same time. Harry potter and the Lord of the rings too.

I also despise with a vengeance any sequels not directed by the person who did the original. E.g The latter Batmans, Robocop/Terminator 3, Aliens 4 and Vs Predator. I also dislike the way that they sell out and tame things down just to take advantage of the main characters  general mass appeal. The certifcates for most fo these start at '18' for the first in the series and end in 'PG' in some cases.

heh, the next ones will probably be directed by Disney.

Terminator 5, the friendly robot. Dance with  face-hugger vol #1...

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "petercussing"You missed out Jagged Edge inspired hard edge thiller "The Bedroom Window" and how could you forget Short Circuit!!!

Don't diss Johnny 5!  Short Circuit rules!

I still maintain my opinion that the 1980s were the golden era of American cinema.

dan dirty ape

All these sorts of films like Most Valued Primate, the one featuring a skateboarding monkey, that get completely needless sequels are I suppose because they're cheap, easy to make tat that studios know will be rented out and watched by undemanding audiences. I'm trying to think of a film that was so reviled/ignored by EVERYONE that the idea of making a sequel is actually preposterous, but yet still one got made. No luck as yet. I'm talking about something like..I dunno...'Honest 2: Revenge Of The Appletons' or 'Return Of Glitter' or 'Sex Lives Of Some More Potato Men'. Or 'Michael Winner's Parting Shots 2: The Story Continues'

Ummmmmm.......

skibz

Quote from: "Mr Colossal"I also despise with a vengeance any sequels not directed by the person who did the original. E.g [...] Aliens 4 and Vs Predator.

Yes, but Aliens (the second one) had a different director, and was still great. I agree with your point though, dumbing-down of great adult movies is a travesty.

For me, the award for hateful film series has to be Lethal Weapon, why it managed to spawn three sequels is beyond me.

mikeyg27

Quote from: "skibz"
Quote from: "Mr Colossal"I also despise with a vengeance any sequels not directed by the person who did the original. E.g [...] Aliens 4 and Vs Predator.

Yes, but Aliens (the second one) had a different director, and was still great. I agree with your point though, dumbing-down of great adult movies is a travesty.

Isn't that what  this thread is about?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

QuoteWhat I hate even more though is the cheap money-spinning sequels that Disney has now resorted to making. Mulan 2? The Lion King 2 (3 + 4?)? Only available on DVD, eh? Because they're shit, thats why.

Almost worse than a shit film getting a shit sequel is when a decent movie gets a grubby straight to video follow up. American Psycho 2 for example. I've never seen it and with any luck I never will, so its low rent shittiness won't be able to mar my enjoyment of the original.

mikeyg27

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"
QuoteWhat I hate even more though is the cheap money-spinning sequels that Disney has now resorted to making. Mulan 2? The Lion King 2 (3 + 4?)? Only available on DVD, eh? Because they're shit, thats why.

Almost worse than a shit film getting a shit sequel is when a decent movie gets a grubby straight to video follow up. American Psycho 2 for example. I've never seen it and with any luck I never will, so its low rent shittiness won't be able to mar my enjoyment of the original.

I haven't seen the original though I keep meaning to (I don't see how that book could be made into a film) but  I could still tell that AP2 was inferior. It was plain shite.

In conclusion, you're right. Avoid it.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "shit as fuck"Being the kind of man who likes to set light to unattended children in supermarkets and put broken glass in sandpits, I hate all Disney films.

What I hate even more though is the cheap money-spinning sequels that Disney has now resorted to making.  Mulan 2?  The Lion King 2 (3 + 4?)?  Only available on DVD, eh?  Because they're shit, thats why.  But that evil fucker of a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing corporation knows how to get the kiddies whining at mum and dad to spend £21.99 or however much DVDs cost now.

I dont know why this annoys me so much, I don't have any kids (nor am I allowed to have any), there's just something so very...'anti-artistic' about it.

Blame Michael "Cunt" Eisner for that. Disney said he never wanted to make sequels to his movies.

http://www.savedisney.com/news/features/fe091404.1.asp
http://www.savedisney.com/news/features/fe091504.1.asp

An ex student of our college worked on the Lion King Sequel and, apparently, he said it was an awful experience. Like being cooped up in a battery farm.

morgs

Soft target but the Scary Movie series showed that some parody attempts are still-born

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"

There's a lot of this straight-to-video low rent sequel thing going on. By no means brilliant films to start with, but I noticed in PrimeTime video straight to rental copies of Cruel Intentions 3 (what? I had no idea there was a 2! and isn't the first one meant to be an update of Dangerous Liasions so what's the point of sequels?) and Wild Things 2 (which was a 15, so no chance of a reprise of the only scene that made the first one popular enough to warrant any kind of sequel, then), both starring no one you've ever heard of. The modern equivalents of Teen Wolf Too.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

But Teen Wolf Too had Jason Bateman from Arrested Development in it.

dan dirty ape

So it did. All right, then...Splash Too.

thomasina

Quote from: "mikeyg27"
I haven't seen the original though I keep meaning to (I don't see how that book could be made into a film) but  I could still tell that AP2 was inferior. It was plain shite.

In conclusion, you're right. Avoid it.

I found American Psycho a lot easier to take as a movie than as a novel.  I lost the humour when i was reading it, because i found it really disturbing.  I enjoyed reading it much better after I'd seen the film.  About the only instance i can think of when i needed the edge taken off.  Never had the urge to see the second one though.

I find it more interesting to talk about good films that spawned shit sequels than shit films that inexplicably became franchises.  The latter, you can avoid very easily.  Charlies Angels and American Pie don't bother me in the slightest, because I hated the originals and consequently don't give a flying fuck about the sequels even if there's 50 of them.    A sequel to something you enjoyed is more of a dilemma, because even though the trailers give you a bad feeling in your gut, you need to see them just in case.  The original Matrix, in which i saw some lovely William Gibson references, a nice dilemma satisfactorily resolved and interesting questions about human choice will be forever spoiled by the shite that followed.  I don't care if my first impression of the film was 'wrong',  I enjoyed it when i harboured the illusion that those things were what it was about.  I can't now.