Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,485
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:30:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Original & Sequel(s) = shit.

Started by Z/Sb, November 16, 2004, 03:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

jaws 4.

jaws 3 however was classic.

petercussing

I'd just like to file Soccer Dog:The Movie and Soccer Dog 2:The European Cup.

Not only that i would like to highlight the greater offender Air Bud (about a madcap sports loving dog who saves the day by winning the big soccer game and reuniting the boy owners parents who were divorced). It was so good it spawned all these sequels:

1.  Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch (2002) (V)
       2.  Air Bud: Golden Receiver (1998)
            aka "Air Bud 2"
        3.  Air Bud: Spikes Back (2003) (V)
        4.  Air Bud: World Pup (2000) (V)
             aka "Air Bud 3"
             aka "Air Bud: The Next Generation"

rjd2

thank god they never got around to titantic 2, yeah cameron wanted to do it.
The first one was shit but a sequeal????????!!

thomasina

They could have done a prequel - Lusitania:  the Unsinkable Molly Brown Story Part I

falafel

Titanic 2: Icy Jack's Adventures in the Underworld.

Very Dante.

And I didn't know they made hollywood blockbusters in Cameroon.

rjd2

Quote from: "falafel"Titanic 2: Icy Jack's Adventures in the Underworld.

And I didn't know they made hollywood blockbusters in Cameroon.

how the fuck do you think jean claude van damme pays his bills?

SimonJT

Ah, the Air Bud movies. They seem to be on Sky Moves every afternoon. In fact most of Sky's daytime movie output consists of animals excelling at sport.

I need to get a full-time job.

petercussing

And animals that reunite brocken families.

Just think, maybe if we released loads of super intelligent animals into the community  80's then maybe we woudn't be in such a state now with regards our crumbling family structure.

I like the name Soccer Dog slightly more than Air Bud, but Air Bud has the best tag lines:  
                Seventh Inning Fetch,
                Golden Reciever,
                 World Pup.

morgs

I haven't seen them but I bet all the Mighty Duck films are shite.

And I know someone who thinks that Grease 2 is superior musically.

Deadman97

Kevin Smith is busy at work on Clerks 2 as we speak.

http://www.viewaskew.com/news/aug04/3.html

Good idea?

morgs

Better than Jersey Girl??  I quite enjoyed the cartoon series.  There is a big anti-Smith lobby onhere so just light the blue-touch paper and retire!  I liked the first 3 movies, thought Dogma was far too unsubtle.  Jay and Silent Bob was easy on the brain and generally silly/below par.  In my opinion of course.

Jimmy

Quote from: "thomasina"
  A sequel to something you enjoyed is more of a dilemma, because even though the trailers give you a bad feeling in your gut, you need to see them just in case.  The original Matrix, in which i saw some lovely William Gibson references, a nice dilemma satisfactorily resolved and interesting questions about human choice will be forever spoiled by the shite that followed.  I don't care if my first impression of the film was 'wrong',  I enjoyed it when i harboured the illusion that those things were what it was about.  I can't now.

Abso-fucking-lutely. I told myself I didn't want to see the two sequels but like an idiot I did- thus completely tainting the original for me.

falafel

Quote from: "SimonJT"Ah, the Air Bud movies. They seem to be on Sky Moves every afternoon. In fact most of Sky's daytime movie output consists of animals excelling at sport.

Musn't forget M.V.P. (Most Vertical Primate). Haven't a fuck what it's about, but I'm guessing it's about a gorrilla who can walk and do stuff a bit like Air Bud.

What a concept, eh?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I actually quite liked the second Matrix. True, it was absurdly slow, full of  crap dialogue (but so was the first), dodgy acting (ditto the first film) and  unnecesary scenes (that fucking dance), but at the time I found it quite entertaining and I liked the broadening of the mythology (plus it had Monica Belucci in a plastic dress). Hell, I even liked the video game, which must put me in a very small percentile of the population. It was the third film that really fucked it all up for me.

The Fanciful Norwegian

QuoteMusn't forget M.V.P. (Most Vertical Primate). Haven't a fuck what it's about, but I'm guessing it's about a gorrilla who can walk and do stuff a bit like Air Bud.

The first M.V.P. is actually "Most Valuable Primate," in which he becomes a successful hockey player. The sequel, "M.V.P. 2: Most Vertical Primate," sees the lovable hero turn to XXXTREME SKATEBOARDING, with similar results. The opening five minutes of "M.V.P. 2" -- in which the manager of a rival hockey team concocts a clever scheme to get the troublesome chimp thrown out of the game (it involves ketchup and some very bad acting) and the downtrodden hero runs into a young skateboarder -- is brilliant stuff. Really.

goatboy500

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"I actually quite liked the second Matrix. True, it was absurdly slow, full of  crap dialogue (but so was the first), dodgy acting (ditto the first film) and  unnecesary scenes (that fucking dance), but at the time I found it quite entertaining and I liked the broadening of the mythology (plus it had Monica Belucci in a plastic dress). Hell, I even liked the video game, which must put me in a very small percentile of the population. It was the third film that really fucked it all up for me.

Actually I reckon that if they had trimmed the fat off of both sequels they could have had a blinding second movie, the first half being the whole race against time bit, and the second half with the war and the shooting and the dead main characters and whatnot.

Quote from: "goatboy500"
Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"I actually quite liked the second Matrix. True, it was absurdly slow, full of  crap dialogue (but so was the first), dodgy acting (ditto the first film) and  unnecesary scenes (that fucking dance), but at the time I found it quite entertaining and I liked the broadening of the mythology (plus it had Monica Belucci in a plastic dress). Hell, I even liked the video game, which must put me in a very small percentile of the population. It was the third film that really fucked it all up for me.

Actually I reckon that if they had trimmed the fat off of both sequels they could have had a blinding second movie, the first half being the whole race against time bit, and the second half with the war and the shooting and the dead main characters and whatnot.

agreed there is a lot of dross that could be removed between the 2nd and 3rd to make a kick ass sequel!
especially that shadey rave!!

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Pfft..

A shady rave. Everybody wants one.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive"Pfft..

A shady rave. Everybody wants one.

This isn't 1990 y'know. Anyway yes, a single matrix sequel would have been much better, although there are still bits that would need re-shooting. I'm thinking of that pussy little bitchslapping contest between Neo and Smith at the end of the last film. it looked shit and it didn't even make sense for fuck's sake.

I think a lot of the blame for the Matrix sequels dissappointing can be laid at the feet of Joel Silver. The greedy cunt smelled a big hit and hyped the films until they had no chance of satisfying.

VegaLA

With the Apprentice and The Donald so popular right now an American Pyscho 3 would be in order (never saw 2 but picked up the DVD box and read PB had died) Can you imagine Patrick being so close to the man he admires, living in a housefull of cute girls and potential victims ? That warrants a sequel, but only if you can get Christian Bale, Donald Trump, Omarosa and Nick Rancic to play in it.

Hobo

Quote from: "VegaLA"With the Apprentice and The Donald so popular right now an American Pyscho 3 would be in order (never saw 2 but picked up the DVD box and read PB had died) Can you imagine Patrick being so close to the man he admires, living in a housefull of cute girls and potential victims ? That warrants a sequel, but only if you can get Christian Bale, Donald Trump, Omarosa and Nick Rancic to play in it.

They really fucked that up killing off Bateman, the whole point is that he gets away with it because he just blends in to the background amongst all of the excesses of the 80's yuppie lifestyle. The character appears again in cameos in other books by the same author, Glamorama for example. I think (although I'm not certain) Partrick Bateman's son in The Rules of Attraction (played by Dawson).

mikeyg27

Quote from: "Hobo"They really fucked that up killing off Bateman, the whole point is that he gets away with it because he just blends in to the background amongst all of the excesses of the 80's yuppie lifestyle. The character appears again in cameos in other books by the same author, Glamorama for example. I think (although I'm not certain) Partrick Bateman's son in The Rules of Attraction (played by Dawson).

Almost, sir. It's actually his brother, who appears in the book of American Psycho for a little bit as a bit-o-a-rich-cunt.

thomasina

The problem with the Matrix sequels is not even with the ropey acting or the cod philosophy or the obvious CGI.  I can't say i didn't enjoy large chunks of them in the same way that i would enjoy any dumb CGI laden action movie (which i'm no critic of).  The problem is that the film didn't require a sequel and, on its own, could be read as more than a dumb action movie.  The sequels make that reading impossible.

The dilemma presented in the first film is that the humans are being exploited and kept unconscious of their exploitation and unfreedom through the illusion of the Matrix.  It had a resolution with Neo breaking down the structure of the Matrix, exposing the illusion and forcing the human race to be free.  

The second film dissolves this resolution and sets a new dilemma - the Agent Smith program 'breaking the rules' and sets Neo as his equivalent and adversary.  The third resolves this new dilemma in a very convoluted way but leaves the first, far most interesting dilemma unsolved.  The Matrix still exists, the humans, apart from a select few are still in their pods.  Some revolution.