Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sparks

Started by the science eel, November 23, 2016, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

If they're still on sale at the end of the month (I seem to recall the last tour didn't sell out for a while, what the fuck is wrong with people?) then I'll be getting tickets too, and am totally up for hanging out beforehand.

edit: nice

Jittlebags

Got ticket for Leeds.

imitationleather

I'll be going to the Glasgow date. Oi, oi!

Sin Agog

They're still in Los Angeles at the moment, but Sparks will be flying!

Sin Agog

Anyone else just adore the song Sherlock Holmes?  I know it's only a simple little thing for them, but I've been addicted to it for years now.  I also like the lyrical premise of the narrator feeling so confused and befuddled by love and life that he pines for the clear, lucid vision of the one man who seems to have all the answers.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 23, 2018, 02:58:19 AM
Anyone else just adore the song Sherlock Holmes?  I know it's only a simple little thing for them, but I've been addicted to it for years now.  I also like the lyrical premise of the narrator feeling so confused and befuddled by love and life that he pines for the clear, lucid vision of the one man who seems to have all the answers.

Yeah, and I especially love the 'Do you wanna have fun," section as a surprising change of pace midsong.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 23, 2018, 02:58:19 AM

Yeah sorry to get pretentious, but it has that existential poignancy that a lot of Sparks songs have.

I've long wondered if it was based on the 1972 film They Might Be Giants (which the band took their name from) about a similar kind of faintly tragi-heroic character who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 23, 2018, 08:46:40 AM
Yeah sorry to get pretentious, but it has that existential poignancy that a lot of Sparks songs have.

I've long wondered if it was based on the 1972 film They Might Be Giants (which the band took their name from) about a similar kind of faintly tragi-heroic character who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes.

For someone as prolifically talented as Ron Mael, a general fear of inadequacy is a very regular theme throughout his lyrics.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on January 23, 2018, 08:51:49 AM
For someone as prolifically talented as Ron Mael, a general fear of inadequacy is a very regular theme throughout his lyrics.

One of many, many things that make Sparks so endlessly bloody wonderful and charming.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

http://allsparks.com/the-search-is-on-for-sparks-support-artists/

They're looking for opening acts for these coming dates if anyone knows anyone who might be interested?

DrGreggles

Need to get the band back together!
Won't be easy. One of them's dead now...

non capisco

Been trawling their back catalogue in preparation for seeing 'em this week. I'm not sure why 'Introducing Sparks' is supposedly seen as a weak effort, 'Occupation' is one of my favourite songs of theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1WlYAwYX6E

^ That's just brilliant, isn't it? "How about salesmen, huh?" For me it's all pretty much gold up until 1986's mostly rotten 'Music You Can Dance To' album and then they get good again in the 90s. 'Whomp That Sucker' which I'd never previously listened to is basically 'Angst In Your Pants' Part 1.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: non capisco on May 19, 2018, 07:22:15 PM
Been trawling their back catalogue in preparation for seeing 'em this week. I'm not sure why 'Introducing Sparks' is supposedly seen as a weak effort, 'Occupation' is one of my favourite songs of theirs.

^ That's just brilliant, isn't it? "How about salesmen, huh?" For me it's all pretty much gold up until 1986's mostly rotten 'Music You Can Dance To' album and then they get good again in the 90s. 'Whomp That Sucker' which I'd never previously listened to is basically 'Angst In Your Pants' Part 1.

Love Occupation, especially the backing vocals list of potential jobs that includes Orson Welles.

Whomp and Angst are definitely two peas. Could potentially stretch to include In Outer Space, to make it an album trilogy.

I think there are various different versions of Music That You Can Dance To. Some versions contain the originally non-album single 'Change', which raises its value in the eyes of many.

non capisco

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on May 20, 2018, 01:42:38 AM
I think there are various different versions of Music That You Can Dance To. Some versions contain the originally non-album single 'Change', which raises its value in the eyes of many.

Yeah, the one with Change on is the one I've heard and it's still comfortably their worst album. But I only really dislike Music That You Can Dance To and Interior Design. I'm not that hot on most of Hello Young Lovers but that has got the epic 'Dick Around' on it. For a prolific five decade spanning career that's not bad going to say the least.

Seeing 'em Thursday and suspect I might explode with joy if they play Number One Song In Heaven, which I'm 99% sure they will.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: non capisco on May 19, 2018, 07:22:15 PM

I love that album.... Occupation, Ladies etc. Amazing.

Jittlebags

I've got a lot in the middle to catch up with. Leeds on Wednesday. Can't wait.

imitationleather

Going to see this pair of beautiful cunts tomorrow.

HYPED.

Jittlebags

Quote from: imitationleather on May 21, 2018, 08:57:06 AM
Going to see this pair of beautiful cunts tomorrow.

HYPED.

Hi Mr IL, or anyone who went to last year's gigs - I'd be interested to know what time it finishes for dinner/drinkies planning purposes.

J

PaulTMA

Saw them twice in Glasgow last year, hope they switch up the setlist a bit this time.

alan nagsworth

Ugh, really jealous I'm not seeing them again this year. Last year's show was one of the best gigs of the year for me. Have fun!

Quote from: non capisco on May 20, 2018, 11:09:11 PM
Seeing 'em Thursday and suspect I might explode with joy if they play Number One Song In Heaven, which I'm 99% sure they will.

Aye, pretty sure they will. Wait till you see them do My Baby's Taking Me Home, fuckinell!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 21, 2018, 12:13:27 PM
Saw them twice in Glasgow last year, hope they switch up the setlist a bit this time.

Loved the setlist last year, as well as their band, god damn. However, Mini Mansions appear to be unavailable this time round, fingers crossed the new guys are as good.

As for the setlist yeah I hope it's a bit different. I'm assuming one or two off Hippopotamus that didn't get an airing will make an appearance this time round. Didn't like Giddy Giddy at first but now I'll be disappointed if it doesn't get played haha

Fine with any changes really, got to hear Sherlock Holmes last year so that'll do me.

Roll on Thursday!!

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 21, 2018, 09:09:06 PM
Aye, pretty sure they will. Wait till you see them do My Baby's Taking Me Home, fuckinell!

Ah man, they've been playing that?! I honestly wasn't expecting any Li'l Beethoven stuff. Ace!

buntyman

They were awfully good in Glasgow last night

DrGreggles

Their Rock City gig was my musical highlight of 2017.
Just such a fucking good band with so many fucking good songs who a fucking good live.

Jittlebags

That was fucking awesome. So many highlights. Slightly disappointed they didn"t do Baby's......, but I guess that gives me an excuse to go again.

Think Russ looks better than he did last year as well.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Fantastic gig, loved it. I was also gutted we got no Baby's, but there was so much to enjoy, it would be churlish to complain.

It was really poignant to see the Maels accepting the well earned love and adoration from the audience.

PaulTMA

I'd gladly swap for a gig where they didn't do My Baby's Taking Me Home.  God knows how something so tedious and momentum-killing can become a setlist staple.  Would happily also never hear Dick Around again.

'Change' was a nice surprise, though

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Was surprised at how well it went down last year everyone seemed to bloody love it in Bristol. Didn't like it THAT much when I first heard it but it was fun lIve definitely.

I'm thinking I'll be more than happy skipping Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer and grabbing a drink somewhere else before Sparks go on tonight . The times I've given him a listen it's got old very quickly. Thoughts from anyone who saw last night?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 24, 2018, 01:15:26 PM
Was surprised at how well it went down last year everyone seemed to bloody love it in Bristol. Didn't like it THAT much when I first heard it but it was fun lIve definitely.

I'm thinking I'll be more than happy skipping Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer and grabbing a drink somewhere else before Sparks go on tonight . The times I've given him a listen it's got old very quickly. Thoughts from anyone who saw last night?

I find that kind of thing very one-note, limited and a bit of a chore, but wanted to be near the front, so had to endure Mr B. The audience enjoyed it and seemed to join in for the most part. He definitely tries hard, but it's totally skip-able.

the science eel

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 24, 2018, 12:17:07 PM
Would happily also never hear Dick Around again.

oh THAT

killed my enthusiasm stone dead last year when I saw them. Terrible song