Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:20:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sparks

Started by the science eel, November 23, 2016, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: the science eel on May 24, 2018, 04:00:17 PM
oh THAT

killed my enthusiasm stone dead last year when I saw them. Terrible song

My girlfriend's favourite track of the night, along with At Home, At Work, At Play and The Missionary Position.

the science eel

oh, they did 'At Home...'? I LOVE LOVIE LOVEEEEE that one!

PaulTMA

I suppose I could give Hello Young Lovers another go, but I'm quite sure it will be as horrible as it was last time in 2006.  I'm very glad they've rediscovered actual tunes again and steering further away from those hideous, screeching digital preset sounds which were all over it.  I remember it sounding the way really bad CGI looks, along the lines of some latter-day Residents artwork or Peter Gabriel's 'Steam' video', if that makes any sense whatsoever.  I can't get with 'Good Morning' either, just so boring, it's like an eighth of what could be an OK Sparks tune on a seemingly endless loop which only lasts a few minutes.  The FFS album and the new one have been miles better though, so all is sort of forgiven.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on May 24, 2018, 02:57:23 PM
I find that kind of thing very one-note, limited and a bit of a chore, but wanted to be near the front, so had to endure Mr B. The audience enjoyed it and seemed to join in for the most part. He definitely tries hard, but it's totally skip-able.

All I needed to hear, thanks!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

That gig was so fucking good!

non capisco

Really quite blown away by that gig. Russell is a force of bloody nature, isn't he? And they did 'Tryouts For The Human Race', for crying out loud!

The London show was being filmed so expect to see a closeup on YouTube soon of my sweaty boat mouthing the words slightly wrong whilst I'm dancing like a penguin. What a gig!!!!

EDIT: Apparently it was being filmed by no less than Edgar Wright. So probably not on YouTube then.

Jittlebags

I think my surprise favourite from last night was Rythym Thief.
Am looking forward to listening to the R2 documentary on iPlayer at work tomorrow. Really hope there's a 2019 tour.

non capisco

Quote from: Jittlebags on May 25, 2018, 12:54:24 AM
I think my surprise favourite from last night was Rythym Thief.

'Change' as part of the encore was a revelation for me, taking away the pony 1986 production and making me realise that it's actually a fantastic song.

And you have got to love Ron's trademark demonic Charleston in the middle of 'No 1 Song In Heaven'. I think we got an extra long one tonight. And the fact his keyboard says 'Ronald' on it instead of 'Roland'. And how Russell can leap about like a spring lamb on a hot roof for two hours at age 70 or whatever he is. And raspberries to the 'My Baby's Taking Me Home' naysayers upthread, they played it tonight and it was mint!

I can't actually sleep now, buzzing after that gig.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: non capisco on May 25, 2018, 12:59:11 AM
'Change' as part of the encore was a revelation for me, taking away the pony 1986 production and making me realise that it's actually a fantastic song.

You might already know, but there's a reimagining of Change on Plagiarism that's different from both the 80s version and the current live band iteration.

non capisco

Plagiarism is actually the only Sparks album I still haven't heard. Will give it a listen tomorrow.

Artie Fufkin

Awww, man! They're supporting Beck on Monday.....

Paaaaul

Quote from: non capisco on May 25, 2018, 12:09:31 AM
Really quite blown away by that gig. Russell is a force of bloody nature, isn't he? And they did 'Tryouts For The Human Race', for crying out loud!

The London show was being filmed so expect to see a closeup on YouTube soon of my sweaty boat mouthing the words slightly wrong whilst I'm dancing like a penguin. What a gig!!!!

EDIT: Apparently it was being filmed by no less than Edgar Wright. So probably not on YouTube then.

Edgar Wright is making a Sparks documentary.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

McQ

Don't suppose anyone taped the Radio 2 documentary, did they? The first episode has dropped off the iPlayer and the second one only has nine hours left on it.

Nowhere Man

Thanks to this thread i've been basically having about 2 dozen different Sparks tunes becoming daily earworms for myself.

But can I make special mention of 'Hasta Mañana, Monsieur' and 'Talent Is An Asset?  They should have been big 70s singles like This Town Ain't Big Enough, Amateur Hour, Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth ect..

The number of key changes in the latter makes me giddy.

Hasta Mañana, Monsieur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWCpvoedfE

Talent Is An Asset
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKQbqcY1mVQ

'Cool Places' is the latest song thats become sort of an obsession, the video is one of the cheesiest things i've ever seen, but always a treat to see Ron's dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNKIba_yZJo

There's too much of Sparks i'm still discovering but needless to say, i'll be obsessing over all eras of them for a good long while, cheers lads.

alan nagsworth

The one little ray of light in my otherwise piss-awful day today was that in a charity shop in Romford (and honestly, FUCK Romford) they were blasting out Beat The Clock. For a brief few minutes in the twelve hours I spent out of the house today, I knew happiness.

Clownbaby

I find FFS both crap and charming at the same time but Piss Off is just a shit song with a shit video

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Great song. Shiiiit video.

Nowhere Man

But would you say many of their videos are truly great to begin with? Surely they've always been a bit naff in the video department, look no further than 'All You Ever Think About Is Sex'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msro9PGsLmc

garbed_attic

Quote from: Nowhere Man on July 16, 2018, 08:48:04 PM
'Cool Places' is the latest song thats become sort of an obsession, the video is one of the cheesiest things i've ever seen, but always a treat to see Ron's dance.

In Outer Space might be perversely my favourite Sparks album just because I don't think any other cultural artefact as successfully captures the anomie of the 1980s. It's so numbing that I actually find it weirdly comforting.

'Dance Godammit'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO0rC1zBMyY

Janie Jones

https://youtu.be/rfZ23F89p5c

This was a bonus track on Hippopotamus called 'You've earned the right to be a dick' and I'm posting it because I really like it (maybe because of the similarities with Smiths 'Headmaster Ritual' and Garbage 'Only happy when it rains') and maybe others missed it when it came out, as I did.

Quote from: Janie Jones on December 21, 2018, 09:51:52 AM
https://youtu.be/rfZ23F89p5c

This was a bonus track on Hippopotamus called 'You've earned the right to be a dick' and I'm posting it because I really like it (maybe because of the similarities with Smiths 'Headmaster Ritual' and Garbage 'Only happy when it rains') and maybe others missed it when it came out, as I did.

Cracking track that one - it was released as a hippo's head-shaped picture disc last Record Store Day.  I don't think it sold that much because at least one of my local shops still have a copy, so your local neighbourhood shop might have one too.

northernrebel

'Amateur Hour' was played on Pick of the Pops sometime this summer, and it burrowed into my brain for the next few months.

Still love it though - not many songs can write about teenage virginity and fit Yehudi Menuhin into a meaningful line. Kudos, Sir Ron!

Jittlebags

Well, after 18 months training, I've done the albums back to back. Brilliant experience. Had a slight misshap, as I forgot to do Balls, and I did FFS without prior listening (apart from Johnny Delusional). I really like the FFS stuff. I wonder if that re energised Sparks into doing Hippopotamus?

DrGreggles

garbed_attic

Quote from: Jittlebags on December 19, 2019, 04:37:28 PM
New song. Please don't fuck up my world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Givls9BUhc&list=RD4BfzD6EW4UY&index=16

If death wasn't going to claim them (and likely climate change human civilisation), I think they'd manage to keep going for a good few hundred more years!

Jittlebags

I agree, they're probably pissed off cos they're just getting into their stride.