Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sparks

Started by the science eel, November 23, 2016, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Alright fine, I'll boot one of the other CaBbers out so you can be in. I hope you're alright with having that on your conscience.

madhair60

that is fine thank you.

alan nagsworth

Cool, you're in. Take a hike, Crabwalk!!!

Crabwalk

Didn't want to be in the gang anyway. Sniff.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Jittlebags on February 20, 2020, 12:39:39 AM
Self Effacing.

Sorry for cheek. but did you mean to link to their brilliant new single?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkEAhNJC-zE

Jittlebags

No. Wanted to be cryptic. But unfortunately, you saw through my cunning plan. Damn you.

Got tickets for the Roundhouse show. Delighted to finally see these fine men for the first time.

DrGreggles

Are we making up the audience?

DrGreggles

Rich Uncle Skeleton

DrGreggles

Terrific stuff again!
How is possible to still sound so fresh and full of ideas on album #24?

When the last song finished I thought "Bloody hell, bit of a short album."
Checked again: 55 minutes

Fucking flew by!

phantom_power

Yeah I played it this morning and had exactly the same reaction

Artie Fufkin

Thanks for the reminder!

PaulTMA

Sounding bloody good on first listen.  Had some ups and downs with neo-Sparks so this is very encouraging

non capisco

This is ace. Two blokes in their seventies definitively proving that there are still pop hooks to be plucked from the ether. Lawnmower, for crying out loud. How has that song not already existed?

I really hope the CaB Sparks Allstar Hard Crew can still assemble in October. It feels like a stretch but who knows?

non capisco

Been playing 'Self Effacing' all day, what a brilliant song.

Jittlebags

La, la, laa, la-la, lah, lah

sutin

Onomato Pia is my favourite on the album. It's so perfect and everything i've always loved about Sparks. God I love this band.

Jittlebags

Quote from: non capisco on May 16, 2020, 09:20:03 PM
I really hope the CaB Sparks Allstar Hard Crew can still assemble in October. It feels like a stretch but who knows?

I'll be there if not already succumbed.

Artie Fufkin

On this day in 2008 I went to see them at Islington Academy. Jonathan 'Wossy' Ross was there. They were absolutely brilliant. I saw them a few times around this period.

Jittlebags

They're total twats. I keep changing my favourite song from this album.  I'm currently on Out in the Cold.

flotemysost

I'm not very familiar with Sparks (one of those bands I've always heard about but not really heard), but gave this a listen today and now I can't stop, it's great. I'm Toast is my current favourite, alongside Self Effacing.

Now to go back through this thread and listen to everything else.

non capisco

^I'm jealous, flotemysost. Going through the Sparks back catalogue chronologically about two years ago was one of the most rewarding musical binges of my life. There's a rough patch in the late eighties but most of it is solid gold stuff.

alan nagsworth

This is a bloody marvellous album, isn't it? I have remarked before how "Hippopotamus", while undeniably great, suffered from some rather flat production, (it's not the '80s any more, lads, and the muddy charm of stuff like "Angst in My Pants" doesn't quite cut the mustard when spliced with modern day production techniques) but this new one sounds a lot more full and robust, it's glistening.

I was also concerned they'd either struck it lucky with "Hippopotamus" or had been sitting on a slowly growing collection of hits for a few years, but this album dispels that notion, and they're clearly enjoying yet another streak of artistic consistency, which, considering how long they've been belting out left-field pop bangers, is some fucking feat.

Jittlebags

Lockdown Performance.

https://youtu.be/PKbAErmGntU?list=RDPKbAErmGntU

Love that Russ has album covers from Whomp, Angst and Outer above the back door.

alan nagsworth

Got a bit emotional watching that.