Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:45:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sparks

Started by the science eel, November 23, 2016, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Yeah, me too.

Fuck. I want to see them now. Lovely men.

sutin

Quote from: Jittlebags on June 13, 2020, 01:09:20 AM
Lockdown Performance.

https://youtu.be/PKbAErmGntU?list=RDPKbAErmGntU

Love that Russ has album covers from Whomp, Angst and Outer above the back door.

I've seen so much footage of Russell's house/home studio now I feel like i've been round there.

non capisco

Magic. Love 'em.

sutin

Some of you might be interested in this - a DVD rip of the very rare 2016 Sparks documentary Never Turn Your Back On Sparks.

https://www.sendtransfer.com/download.php?id=3c3bf2b3a050877f8c886991fc7905e7

October gig has been rescheduled for Sunday 23 May 2021, lads.

https://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/2020/sparks?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TKT-110820-SparksReschedule&utm_content=version_A

QuoteIMPORTANT INFORMATION

Sparks at the Roundhouse on Wednesday 21 October, has now been rescheduled for Sunday 23 May, 2021.

The artist has passed on the following message:

In light of the ongoing situation and threat of COVID-19 globally, the SPARKS UK tour can no longer take place in Oct 2020. The show at the Roundhouse on Wednesday 21 October has been rescheduled to Sunday 23 May 2021. All original tickets remain valid.

If you have already booked tickets to see the show we will automatically transfer your tickets over to the new date so you do not need to take any action.

Crabwalk

I am still really looking forward to this as it's definitely going to happen.

non capisco

I've lost track of when all these rescheduled gigs I have tickets for are meant to be happening.

DrGreggles

Crabwalk

Quote from: non capisco on August 11, 2020, 10:36:49 AM
I've lost track of when all these rescheduled gigs I have tickets for are meant to be happening.

My wife bought me tickets to an Elton John concert for my 41st birthday. I will be 44 when the show is currently scheduled to happen.

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 11, 2020, 10:39:56 AM
My wife bought me tickets to an Elton John concert for my 41st birthday. I will be 44 when the show is currently scheduled to happen.

Forget it, mate. You'll be lucky if you're dill danding by then.

Crabwalk

Yurgh, yurgh, yurgh.

The Mollusk

Weird, one of the things that kept me awake last night was wondering when this reschedule would be announced, and worrying whether it would end up clashing with the two other gigs (Nick Cave and Caribou) that have pushed back to the same time of year. Thankfully it doesn't!

I knew this would happen eventually, but I retained a shred of optimism that this year would at least have one gig I could go to, and that would be the rapturous joy of Ron ad Russ which would no doubt sort me right the fuck out. Alas...

imitationleather

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 11, 2020, 12:20:03 PM
I knew this would happen eventually, but I retained a shred of optimism that this year would at least have one gig I could go to, and that would be the rapturous joy of Ron ad Russ which would no doubt sort me right the fuck out. Alas...

If it makes you feel any better I'd be surprised if there's indoor gigs next year!

DrGreggles

flotemysost

Endearingly naff/covid-safe video for iPhone released earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CIDPuxwrY

Coincidentally, I was chatting about music with my mum on Skype yesterday, and I mentioned that finally discovering Sparks this year has been one of the things that's really cheered me up among all the various bollocks happening at the moment.

My mum then said that when Kimono My House came out, she was going through some pretty miserable stuff in her life (she would have been 23 at the time - long before I was on the scene) and it was one of several records that helped convince her the world probably wasn't all that terrible after all. Made me a bit emotional, that.

non capisco

Quote from: flotemysost on December 30, 2020, 12:18:36 AM
My mum then said that when Kimono My House came out, she was going through some pretty miserable stuff in her life (she would have been 23 at the time - long before I was on the scene) and it was one of several records that helped convince her the world probably wasn't all that terrible after all. Made me a bit emotional, that.

Aw, ace.

I want to see Ron do his demonic charleston during the 'No 1 Song In Heaven' breakdown at least once more before these cats retire. I can't even begin to imagine the sheer euphoria at a post-pandemic Sparks show.

ajsmith2

First trailer for the Edgar Wright documentary out!

https://youtu.be/ONEMi6K5iCM

Twonty Gostelow

Oh good, Jonathan Ross is in it.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on January 29, 2021, 07:48:11 PM
Oh good, Jonathan Ross is in it.

Why's he dressed up like Brian Pern dressed up like Dracula?

non capisco

I'm in it, technically. (Was at the London gig that Wright filmed. They were magnificent that night.)

I hope it's more of the archive footage than those interviews. Couldn't give a monkey's what Jason Schwartzman and Flea think of Sparks.

DrGreggles

Hope it's not too talking head heavy, but I will love a film about Sparks regardless.

Incidentally, I listened to Hippopotamus again today.
It's a fucking gem of an album, isn't it.

Twonty Gostelow

He's not in the trailer but I know their first producer and mentor Todd Rundgren is in the film. Wright arranged for a surprise reunion on camera which Rundgren wasn't expecting, and I heard the Maels didn't know who they were meeting either.

They've also done a collaboration song with Rundgren that's due for release any time now.

phantom_power

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the talking heads stuff is just for the trailer, as hinted at by Schwartzman's "I don't want to watch it, but I will because I'm in it" line

Twonty Gostelow

Here's a positive review from someone on a Todd Rundgren fansite.

OBVIOUSLY LOTS OF SPOILERS:

" I will get the bad news out of the way first: the actual reunion between Todd and Sparks is not part of the film, and is only represented by a still of the three together during the closing credits. This is not a huge shock even considering the 135 minute runtime, this project would not exist if it were meant for the type of people who would want to see that (ie US).

Having said that, anyone reading this is likely to find this film to be of significant interest. Todd does not get a huge amount of screen time, but he looks and sounds good for his interview. The subtitle under his name is "rock god"! Upon the initial mention of Todd (as the very first person "in the business" who picked up on them), there are a number of 70s images of him shown, mostly looking weird on The Midnight Special, but also from the Old Grey Whistle Test Ra show. The fact that both Todd and Russell Mael considered Miss Christine of the GTOs to be their "girlfriend" at the time they crossed paths is a humorous point.

Getting more screen time than Todd is Thaddeus James Lowe (once a member of The Electric Prunes) who engineered the Sparks debut Todd produced, and then went on to produce the significantly better second album once Todd was too engaged with his own career to do so. He was so convinced the record (A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing) was great he vowed to leave the music business if it failed. He was producing TV commercials soon after!

Slightly curious is the fact that Bearsville and Albert Grossman are never mentioned by name, although the bear head logo is visible on their early "Slow Boat" stage set. Even when telling the story of how they changed the name from Halfnelson to Sparks, Grossman doesn't get credit for his suggestion of "Sparks Brothers"...it's told as just coming from "the label".

As a big fan of Sparks, I am thoroughly satisfied. For those not (yet) fans, I think there is enough interesting music business stuff to hold your attention. First of all, their classic producers all get to have their say. In addition to Todd and Lowe, we hear from Muff Winwood, Tony Visconti and Giorgio Moroder. There are also interviews with many former bandmates: Jim Mankey from the original Bearsville band (later of Concrete Blonde), Ian Hampton from their hitmaking UK band of the Island years, Hilly Michaels of their half-baked US proto-punk period featured in the horrible movie Rollercoaster, and Les Bohem of the Gleaming Spires and their KROQ hit years. ALL of these men were fired (and some in unpleasant circumstances) but they all had great things to say about the brothers. The lovely lady drummers of their 90s comeback and beyond (Christi Haydon and Tammy Glover) are also interviewed, but unfortunately don't figure much into the performance footage.

If that isn't enough, there are interview clips with Beck, Flea, Thurston Moore, Steve "Jonsey" Jones , Vince Clark, Jane Weidlin, Chris Difford, Nick Rhodes and John Taylor among others. There are also non-music celebs waxing about their love of Sparks like Patton Oswalt, Mike Myers, Neil Gaiman, Fred Armisen and the film's director Edgar Wright (of Scott Pilgrim & Baby Driver fame) himself. When I saw how many clips like this were involved in the online preview, I was concerned...this is frequently the worst part of modern day music documentaries IMO. However, these are all well edited and do not seem superfluous even considering the long runtime of the film.

A few other random observations for anyone still reading:

The film is a chronological history of the band and does not shy away from missteps. Compare this to the recent Bee Gees documentary that never mentions the Sgt. Pepper's movie ONCE!

They have always been obsessed with movies, both went to film school at UCLA and attempted to get involved in movie projects in the 70s and 80s that ultimately went nowhere. Now with this film and the upcoming musical Annette (starring Adam Driver featuring all new songs) they are finally living their dream in their 70s.

When they ran out of ideas and the music business turned its back on them at the end of the 80s, they were able to lie low for SIX YEARS as they attempted (and failed) to get a movie made with Tim Burton. It's sad that not everyone is able to parlay a relatively brief period of popularity into financial stability without the need for money generating gimmicks and mediocre downmarket gigs (cough).

There were three 2018 "Hippopotamus" shows filmed (Kent Forum plus Japan and Mexico City) but we only see bits and pieces. Naturally, fans can hope to see more down the road.

In case you can't tell, I really liked this. As a fan of the band, I knew I'd enjoy it...but I am truly blown away. I don't know how people are meant to see this (I paid $15 online for the second Sundance showing) and I think the length might keep people totally unfamiliar with the subject away, but I am very glad it exists and Ron & Russell clearly enjoy themselves.

Check it out when you can! "

danwho9

Really want to see this, no idea if it's currently available to stream anywhere yet though and I haven't found anything after some browsing.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on January 30, 2021, 12:18:06 AM
They've also done a collaboration song with Rundgren that's due for release any time now.

And here it is..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxnnyvpqr0

DrGreggles

Obviously the official poster for the documentary is lovely.

The Mollusk

SteveDave

I can confirm that the film is good. And I'm not even really a big fan. Never a dull moment even in the 80s.

The Mollusk

Official trailer:

https://youtu.be/EOUsIYESOpM

The "too dry" bit made me laugh, I'm dead excited for this.