Author Topic: Sparks  (Read 36206 times)

Re: Sparks
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2021, 10:56:34 AM »
Saving my first cinema visit for this.

Butchers Blind

• Adios pantaloons!
« Reply #271 on: July 19, 2021, 11:18:06 AM »
Watched over the weekend and it's indeed one of the better musical docs with a great amount of care gone into clips and talking heads. Does the job of making a casual observer of the band want to dig deeper.

« Reply #272 on: July 19, 2021, 01:29:13 PM »
I thought the talking heads were garbage. Flea was good, but I don't think anyone else said anything particularly interesting or insightful. The great Adam Buxton popping up for two seconds to point out that some of the tracks on Big Beat have outrageous titles - what's the point? Tony Kaprano takes home the prize for being the dullest blowhard.#

Bjork was just on the phone saying something like "Yes, I have listened to Sparks."

Rich Uncle Skeleton

• Oh it's a whole flock of detectives
« Reply #273 on: July 19, 2021, 02:15:19 PM »
Annette's won best director and best soundtrack at Cannes, they must be over the bloody moon! Not looking forward to being in a cinema but definitely want to see it properly rather than on prime.

batwings

• Timewaster seeks same. No timewasters please.
« Reply #274 on: July 19, 2021, 03:24:47 PM »
I watched and really enjoyed the doc, even though I was an almost complete Sparks virgin. Along with them being enthused about on Chart Music recently, the Wright film has caused me to start investigating them beyond the singles I remember from childhood. Obsessed with lil’ Beethoven already.

« Reply #275 on: July 19, 2021, 06:38:04 PM »
I watched and really enjoyed the doc, even though I was an almost complete Sparks virgin. Along with them being enthused about on Chart Music recently, the Wright film has caused me to start investigating them beyond the singles I remember from childhood. Obsessed with lil’ Beethoven already.

You're in for one hell of a ride. Lil' Beethoven is masterpiece.

« Reply #276 on: July 20, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »
I think they might be the two greatest human beings on the planet

bakabaka

• Have we got over our differences yet? (ho/hum)
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2021, 04:33:10 PM »
Confusion, the Jacques Tati film starring Russell and Ron (who presumably would have also written the soundtrack), is now at the top of the list of my favourite films that never got made.

« Reply #278 on: July 24, 2021, 11:28:52 PM »
Interview with Wright, Russel and Ron on Commode and Mayo's Film Review yesterday. Actual review next Friday.

« Reply #279 on: Yesterday at 09:04:10 AM »
Why is it not mentioned that Russell sang and sort of spoke in an odd European\Germn accent for a lot of their career?

« Reply #280 on: Yesterday at 09:07:46 AM »
I'm at the Q&A screening on Thursday - cannot bloody wait.

« Reply #281 on: Yesterday at 09:31:01 AM »
I'm at the Q&A screening on Thursday - cannot bloody wait.

Glasgow?

« Reply #282 on: Yesterday at 12:57:55 PM »
Cambridge

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #283 on: Yesterday at 01:34:30 PM »
How about this for a piss take? 80 knicker to own the soundtrack to the documentary
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B098CZ1LRG/

Admittedly its great music, but are they having a laugh?

« Reply #284 on: Yesterday at 02:46:38 PM »
How about this for a piss take? 80 knicker to own the soundtrack to the documentary
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B098CZ1LRG/

Admittedly its great music, but are they having a laugh?

Sparks are my all time favourite band bar none but i'm not paying £80 for a record with fucking Neil Gaiman on it.

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #285 on: Yesterday at 11:41:43 PM »
I doubt it comes up in the documentary but I was looking at the inner sleeve/lyrics for Todd Rundgren's second album and it said photographs and design by Ron Mael.
This was 1971, same year as Sparks' debut album produced by Rundgren. Don't know which came first though.