Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sparks

Started by the science eel, November 23, 2016, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

my wife is convinced Ron Mael took his look from Nikola Tesla - possibly even the name Sparks is related to this

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: the science eel on September 28, 2017, 09:26:35 PM
Kimono My House, without a doubt.

And ignore all the iconoclasts who say they did better. They did not.

Wrong. They did better.

Propaganda (most accessible)
Lil Beethoven (most surprising)
Hello Young Lovers (most erudite)
No. 1 In Heaven (most danceable)

I also love A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 29, 2017, 06:01:48 PM
It does have their best album cover though.

Nah.... Whomp That Sucker / Angst In My Pants then Indiscrete and Propaganda.

++++

Sparks best to worst...

Basically, they're amazing.

the science eel

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 28, 2017, 09:25:15 PM
Great live version here: https://youtu.be/HljyP1mh5IA

That one always pisses me off 'cos it turns into a lumpy sausage. Far better sound quality here.

Squink

Going to see these bastards in a couple of weeks, in a venue about the size of nagsworth's bum (because no one in America really knows who they are). Can't wait. Good album ranking up there, the only major quibble for me might be the 10 for Hello Young Lovers.

Dirty Boy

Nagsworth put it better than i ever could, but the lads Manchester gig was one of the most enjoyable i've ever seen and the new album is their best since 'Hello Young Lovers' (although it could do with shaving off a couple of the lesser tunes).

Can well imagine they'll be effing storming in a small venue.

garbed_attic

I have a soft spot for In Outer Space because of how aggressively, calculatedly, naffly sterile it is. Genuinely it is one of the only albums I've found that helps me with anxiety because it's so numbing.

the science eel

They're on The One Show tonight, apparently.

Chriddof

Is it me or does the sound mix in that clip seem a bit unbalanced? The guitars are too quiet, particularly at the start. Anyway, good performance, liked Russell's kecks.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Ron was none too chuffed about being asked his age in that somewhat short interview. The interviewer wisely wound things back then, instead of saying " you don't half like the hair dye, eh, mate? To Russell.

Russell can't hit the high notes anymore. Bit of a shame.

the science eel

No - he was fine. In great voice.

Squink

Saw Sparks last night, and it's hard to describe how wonderful it was. I'd never seen them before. They're a lot more muscular live than on record, at least in this incarnation, and I think that makes sense. It leant the whole evening a celebratory air. And god, how much energy does Russell have? It felt like he could have kept going for another hour or two.

Loved hearing "Amateur Hour" at the close, such a great way to send everybody home. "What The Hell Is It This Time?" as an opener already felt like a classic track. But there were so many highlights. I'd happily listen to them doing "My Baby's Taking Me Home" for an hour or more. I went with a couple of people who hadn't listened to much Sparks and weren't sure how much they'd like it. Both left the venue buzzing and enthusing about it all. A perfect evening.

They did that thing of staying on stage at the end that nags mentions below. It felt a little bit like a goodbye, but I hope it's not.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 28, 2017, 12:06:52 AMThey spent about five minutes stood in front of the crowd to rapturous applause before they left, just waving and smiling. They were so happy and full of beans.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I really hope the renewed interest they've received in the wake of Hippopotamus inspires them into another creatively fecund and productive period.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 05, 2017, 05:48:37 PM
Russell can't hit the high notes anymore.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a load of bollocks isn't it.

Jittlebags

Fuck Me.

I knew about Sparks - the fellah with the tash, but for some reason hadn't caught the music over the last 40 years of my existence. So thanks to this thread, and the post linking the 'My Baby's Taking Me Home' Sweden concert.

I listened to the whole of Lil' Bethoven, then spent a month just dipping in and out of their albums on Youtube. Baby's Taking Me Home, When will I get to sing my way, Amateur Hour, and You won't Believe all the crap in this song, all of which I can't get out of my head.

A mate at work said that Hippopotamus album was really good, but I only managed a minute or so of the title track. Then for some reason I listened to Edith Piaf..., and fuck me, that was superb. I then listened to the whole of the Hippopotamus album, and it is fucking awsome. I now get the Title Song, that Macbeth/Thrones one with the soprano is a corker, as were about 70% of the songs.

So thank you this thread. I've still got tonnes of albums to explore. Just a shame I caught on a bit too late to see them live.

the science eel

Quote from: Jittlebags on October 12, 2017, 10:35:34 PM
Just a shame I caught on a bit too late to see them live.

They've had a rapturous reception to these recent live dates - I'm sure they'll be touring again before long.

I hope it's a fucking seated gig I get to, next time...

Jittlebags

This pared back live version of Edith Piaf is absolutely luscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urj6ENcWq_U

Jittlebags

Righty. I'm off to read the new Viz with Hippopotamus in the background. Top That!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jittlebags on October 13, 2017, 11:31:11 PM
This pared back live version of Edith Piaf is absolutely luscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urj6ENcWq_U

That is fucking ace.

Jittlebags

Ist ein SparkenConcertenVigenstein in Berlin. Ja wohl ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuUL5H3Li0

Neville Chamberlain

Oh fucking marvelous! So I managed to miss them not once but fucking twice in Berlin!!! Had not the foggiest this gig was on. Bastards. And massive bollocks.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Brilliant, 3 more UK shows in May! Glasgow, Leeds and London with more European dates announced next week

https://m.facebook.com/sparksofficial/photos/a.161269161864.114922.103785491864/10155595356501865/?type=3&source=48

Will fly back for London probably but fingers crossed for Dublin too.

Jittlebags

Nice heads up. Tickets on sale on Friday. Leeds for me I think.

alan nagsworth

Oh my goodness gracious! Yes! If any of you are afforded the chance to see them this year and didn't last year, for the love of fucking god, you will not regret it. They're in my top three gigs of 2017, without a doubt.

DrGreggles

It takes a great band to make me go to London to see them.

I'll be going to London to see them.

Neville Chamberlain

Hooray! Will travel.

non capisco

See yuz in London!

*Stands stock still over laptop and stares maniacally*

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Got London tickets, anyone want to hang out beforehand?
Considering Leeds too at this point..