Author Topic: Sparks  (Read 9257 times)

Re: Sparks
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2018, 04:45:20 PM »
oh THAT

killed my enthusiasm stone dead last year when I saw them. Terrible song

My girlfriend’s favourite track of the night, along with At Home, At Work, At Play and The Missionary Position.

the science eel

• dynamite sack artist
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2018, 05:57:56 PM »
oh, they did 'At Home...'? I LOVE LOVIE LOVEEEEE that one!

« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2018, 05:59:25 PM »
I suppose I could give Hello Young Lovers another go, but I'm quite sure it will be as horrible as it was last time in 2006.  I'm very glad they've rediscovered actual tunes again and steering further away from those hideous, screeching digital preset sounds which were all over it.  I remember it sounding the way really bad CGI looks, along the lines of some latter-day Residents artwork or Peter Gabriel's 'Steam' video', if that makes any sense whatsoever.  I can't get with 'Good Morning' either, just so boring, it's like an eighth of what could be an OK Sparks tune on a seemingly endless loop which only lasts a few minutes.  The FFS album and the new one have been miles better though, so all is sort of forgiven.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

• Oh it's a whole flock of detectives.
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2018, 06:07:25 PM »
I find that kind of thing very one-note, limited and a bit of a chore, but wanted to be near the front, so had to endure Mr B. The audience enjoyed it and seemed to join in for the most part. He definitely tries hard, but it’s totally skip-able.

All I needed to hear, thanks!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2018, 11:30:06 PM »
That gig was so fucking good!

non capisco

• automatic writing by phantom limb
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2018, 12:09:31 AM »
Really quite blown away by that gig. Russell is a force of bloody nature, isn't he? And they did 'Tryouts For The Human Race', for crying out loud!

The London show was being filmed so expect to see a closeup on YouTube soon of my sweaty boat mouthing the words slightly wrong whilst I'm dancing like a penguin. What a gig!!!!

EDIT: Apparently it was being filmed by no less than Edgar Wright. So probably not on YouTube then.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:19:54 AM by non capisco »

« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2018, 12:54:24 AM »
I think my surprise favourite from last night was Rythym Thief.
Am looking forward to listening to the R2 documentary on iPlayer at work tomorrow. Really hope there's a 2019 tour.

non capisco

« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2018, 12:59:11 AM »
I think my surprise favourite from last night was Rythym Thief.

'Change' as part of the encore was a revelation for me, taking away the pony 1986 production and making me realise that it's actually a fantastic song.

And you have got to love Ron's trademark demonic Charleston in the middle of 'No 1 Song In Heaven'. I think we got an extra long one tonight. And the fact his keyboard says 'Ronald' on it instead of 'Roland'. And how Russell can leap about like a spring lamb on a hot roof for two hours at age 70 or whatever he is. And raspberries to the 'My Baby's Taking Me Home' naysayers upthread, they played it tonight and it was mint!

I can't actually sleep now, buzzing after that gig.

« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2018, 01:03:24 AM »
'Change' as part of the encore was a revelation for me, taking away the pony 1986 production and making me realise that it's actually a fantastic song.

You might already know, but there’s a reimagining of Change on Plagiarism that’s different from both the 80s version and the current live band iteration.

non capisco

« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2018, 01:10:46 AM »
Plagiarism is actually the only Sparks album I still haven't heard. Will give it a listen tomorrow.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2018, 09:02:53 AM »
Awww, man! They're supporting Beck on Monday.....

Paaaaul

• Thumb off
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2018, 04:00:35 PM »
Really quite blown away by that gig. Russell is a force of bloody nature, isn't he? And they did 'Tryouts For The Human Race', for crying out loud!

The London show was being filmed so expect to see a closeup on YouTube soon of my sweaty boat mouthing the words slightly wrong whilst I'm dancing like a penguin. What a gig!!!!

EDIT: Apparently it was being filmed by no less than Edgar Wright. So probably not on YouTube then.

Edgar Wright is making a Sparks documentary.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »
Ooooo!

McQ

• "has better animation obviously because its newer"
    • https://twitter.com/McKuw
« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »
Don't suppose anyone taped the Radio 2 documentary, did they? The first episode has dropped off the iPlayer and the second one only has nine hours left on it.

Nowhere Man

• Excuse me please, my ear is full of milk.
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2018, 08:48:04 PM »
Thanks to this thread i've been basically having about 2 dozen different Sparks tunes becoming daily earworms for myself.

But can I make special mention of 'Hasta Mañana, Monsieur' and 'Talent Is An Asset?  They should have been big 70s singles like This Town Ain't Big Enough, Amateur Hour, Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth ect..

The number of key changes in the latter makes me giddy.

Hasta Mañana, Monsieur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWCpvoedfE

Talent Is An Asset
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKQbqcY1mVQ

'Cool Places' is the latest song thats become sort of an obsession, the video is one of the cheesiest things i've ever seen, but always a treat to see Ron's dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNKIba_yZJo

There's too much of Sparks i'm still discovering but needless to say, i'll be obsessing over all eras of them for a good long while, cheers lads.

alan nagsworth

• me and fluffy and penny, we're on the porch
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2018, 09:07:54 PM »
The one little ray of light in my otherwise piss-awful day today was that in a charity shop in Romford (and honestly, FUCK Romford) they were blasting out Beat The Clock. For a brief few minutes in the twelve hours I spent out of the house today, I knew happiness.

Clownbaby

• Megabytes per second must be in the billions
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
I find FFS both crap and charming at the same time but Piss Off is just a shit song with a shit video

Rich Uncle Skeleton

« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2018, 10:47:38 PM »
Great song. Shiiiit video.

Nowhere Man

• Excuse me please, my ear is full of milk.
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2018, 11:27:14 PM »
But would you say many of their videos are truly great to begin with? Surely they've always been a bit naff in the video department, look no further than 'All You Ever Think About Is Sex'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msro9PGsLmc

« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2018, 12:06:19 AM »
'Cool Places' is the latest song thats become sort of an obsession, the video is one of the cheesiest things i've ever seen, but always a treat to see Ron's dance.

In Outer Space might be perversely my favourite Sparks album just because I don't think any other cultural artefact as successfully captures the anomie of the 1980s. It's so numbing that I actually find it weirdly comforting.

'Dance Godammit'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO0rC1zBMyY