Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pokemon Sun & Moon

Started by Bazooka, December 02, 2016, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

C'mon you Pokemen/pokewomen, am I the only dweeb who has got this?

Another entry into the pocket monster series, gotta catch em all!

Benjaminos

I'm playing it too, in between bursts of Picross 3D and Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

Just finished the first island, 10% of the Pokedex filled in, and I've got a Pikachu. It's pretty good! Haven't seriously played one since.. Sapphire, I think? It's come a long way since then, lots of nice quality-of-life improvements.

Can't believe they still haven't got proper voices though, you're stuck with weird Gameboy chirps and warbles for most of them. The only one I've come across with a proper cry is Pikachu :/

Consignia

I've not bothered with the series since Blue on the Gameboy, but in the post Pokemon Go nostalgia craze, I 'membered Pikachu and co., and gave it a go. I like JRPGs in general, so this one is good fun, if extremely unchallenging. It does feel like the version you always wanted on the N64, with 3D 'mons and such. I'm extremely unimpressed by most of the designs of the Pokemon after the first gen, though, most barely resemble animals. I do have a soft spot for the angry looking Toucan, though. And I like the fire cat's super move which pulls a 'rasslin ring out of nowhere.

hewantstolurkatad

The idea of a 3D Pokémon game has been offputting to me ever since Colosseum was so shit. I'm prolly gonna buy a 3DS after Christmas though so there's a pretty good chance I'll try this out.

imitationleather

I've been looking at the 3DS today. Is it worth getting? It seems a little bit pricey but I would like to play these new Pokemon games and I've been thinking for a while that a console of some sort would be a good way to occupy my downtime rather than reading shite online endlessly. Any chance of a drop in price after Christmas?

Thursday

I'd imagine the Nintendo Switch would mean a drop in price is coming.

colacentral

I'm a big Pokemon fan and been playing this since it came out, but trying to take it slowly. I have just got to the third island.

Usually all the new gen pokemon designs seem horrendous at first but grow on me over time, but this time I really like most of them. Weirdly though the starters are amongst my least favourite of the new lot.

Not sure how I feel about the island challenges replacing gyms. I like the idea of them but I am getting the impression that they'll be better implemented in future generations if they keep this concept instead of going back to gyms. It doesn't feel like the map design, story pacing, and the trials have been meshed together well, which is not surprising considering that the development must have been brought forward to meet the 20th anniversary year. The fact that there's a Zygarde collection task suggests that Pokemon Z was planned initially.

Consignia

I don't know, I think the map design is quite good, and the game really doesn't feel rushed to me. The post-game feels quite tacked on, I'll give you that, but the main thrust felt really coherent if short. That said I have clocked about 25 hours on it, which is pretty damn good for a game these days.

kittens

what kind of new pokeys we dealing with here? any obvious stinkers like that trash bag or the ice cream? any goodies? love my pokeys me

colacentral

I am really enjoying it overall, it definitely is a welcome shake up of the formula, and I like the less linear nature of the islands. However, I've found the maps a little bit confusing sometimes as a side effect. A moveable 3d camera, which could be implemented if the series moves to the Switch, would probably solve that by allowing you to get a better feel for your surroundings I think.

Don't get me wrong though, it's Pokemon and I love it. So far I'd place it second to Black / White 2 as my favourite main series game, but I do have plenty left to play yet.

Twed

Quote from: Thursday on December 15, 2016, 06:11:09 PM
I'd imagine the Nintendo Switch would mean a drop in price is coming.
Asking for a friend... is there a good solution for 2DS piracy these days? Is it possible to bung a bunch of ROMs on an SD card, connect it up with some interface and just play anything you've downloaded?

I would probably buy carts off eBay anyway, but a lot of stuff I'd like to try just isn't worth money. I mean stuff my friend would like to try.

Consignia

Quote from: kittens on December 15, 2016, 08:17:30 PM
any obvious stinkers like that trash bag or the ice cream?

A sand castle and a haunted anchor...

Quote from: kittens on December 15, 2016, 08:17:30 PM
any goodies?

An always angry looking Toucan and Donald Trump

Bazooka

Quote from: imitationleather on December 15, 2016, 06:08:00 PM
I've been looking at the 3DS today. Is it worth getting? It seems a little bit pricey but I would like to play these new Pokemon games and I've been thinking for a while that a console of some sort would be a good way to occupy my downtime rather than reading shite online endlessly. Any chance of a drop in price after Christmas?

The 3DS is excellent, my favourite console of the last decade.

Games that I consider essential you should buy it for would say include:

Mario Kart 7
Resident Evil Revelations(unless you have the ps3 version)
Bravely Second: End Layer
Monster Hunter Generations
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Xenoblade Chronicles(you never played it on the wii)
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Super Mario 3D World
Kirby: Planet Robobot or Kirby:Triple Deluxe

There are many others of course and there is the virtual console available allowing you to play NES,Gameboy,Game Gear games .But if you do plan to buy one, get the New 3ds as you can play SNES games on there(even though the standard 3ds has the power to play them but Nintendo wants the $$$$$)

imitationleather

Just bought a 3DS and Pokemon Sun. The kids will be eating cereal for Christmas dinner this year!

TheFalconMalteser

They call me the "pokeyman".

imitationleather

I've played five hours since I bought it yesterday, apparently. No wonder I've gone blind. Damn, and I thought this distraction from incessant wanking might help to preserve my eyesight a bit.

It's fun (Pokemon Sun, I mean), but is definitely extremely easy. Just got on to the second island without really breaking a sweat. I guess it is aimed at kids, though. When it loads and the screen goes black for a second and I have my 30 year old face reflected back at me I do really wonder where the time has gone since I bought Pokemon Red all those years goes. And also what the hell I'm going to look like when I'm 40.

I'd like to get a 3DS game that actually uses the 3D capability of the device next.

colacentral

I always go into the menu and turn off the option to ask f you want to switch pokemon between the AI's pokemon switches, and turn the exp share off as soon as I get it. That helps make it slightly more difficult.

imitationleather

Apparently this isn't a new one to Sun/Moon, but as I've not played the game for many generations I was quite amused by being faced with a set of a car keys:

The storyline of having a really annoying female love interest who is basically rubbish at everything and totally unappealing was really starting to grate, but I suppose it's a Nintendo staple. I got far more into the game after the first couple of islands, which were really too easy. After that it gets pretty damn good and I have fully sunk the past couple of days on it.

Consignia

Yeah, there's an ice-cream mon as well. Literally, a ghost Ice Cream cone as well. Just browsing the back catalogue of mons shows there's some pretty uninspiring designs in there. Just stick a couple of goggly eyes on a couple of polygons and match the types to it's colour.

I'm about done with this now. I've done pretty much everything post-game, and given the Pokédex a real go. 50%, I'm pretty chuffed with. But no more, some of the rare ones are such a pain in the arse to get. Battle already rare ones in certain weather conditions at a cetain time of day, and there's a chance the one you want might pop up.

imitationleather

Arrrrrgh... Was just on the final battle. Had seen off the four guys in their rooms and was all sat on my throne going "Ah, glad that's over" then of course it emerged I had to do just one more battle that inevitably turned out to be fucking nails, and I lost terribly as I'd rinsed all my potions and now I'm faced with going through the whole thing again. Humph. Fuck that. Just leave this shit unfinished.

imitationleather

I feel the need to point out that after I'd calmed down about losing I did it again, won and completed the game. Christ, that ending seemed to go on forever. Far too many cut scenes.

I guess now I can spend the rest of my life trying to catch all the Pokemon or do something constructive instead like get really good at Mario Kart 7.

Consignia

Try and catch a Politoed, without trading.

Quote from: colacentral on December 18, 2016, 08:56:34 AM
I always go into the menu and turn off the option to ask f you want to switch pokemon between the AI's pokemon switches, and turn the exp share off as soon as I get it. That helps make it slightly more difficult laborious.

If you want a nice 3d effect, I was playing Ocarina of Time last night and I was thinking 'nice 3d'...plus its hack exploitable so if they ever do find another universal kernel hack you're good to go.

Bazooka

Quote from: captaincockring on December 23, 2016, 12:49:33 AM
If you want a nice 3d effect, I was playing Ocarina of Time last night and I was thinking 'nice 3d'...plus its hack exploitable so if they ever do find another universal kernel hack you're good to go.

I own probably 50+ 3DS games and never have 3D on,I would like to but don't want to have to charge the thing every 2 hours and plug it in to kill the battery.