Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Fuck it, I thought we might as well have a general thread for the discussion of Ian's ongoing work, else we'll be bumping that old FUBAR thread forever.

All six episodes of The Mental Podcast are now available on iTunes! Not started yet, but I'm really excited. May go for a long-ass walk tomorrow and cane the whole thing in one go.

DrGreggles

It's really good.

Some of it is tough to listen to because of the subject matter, but it's very funny and quite uplifting.

Sin Agog

The mental podcast is him with different guests, right?  Listening to the Fubar shows, you really feel like his mood's totally dependent on having people around him who make him impish and excited (or serious and sober).  If he's got no one to play off, or Nat..., the show can fall flat on its arse.  Makes me kind of wish he took more calls when things don't seem to be flying, but he seems to have cut most of that stuff out.  The fan interaction, and occasional internecine squabbling, was one of my favourite parts of those early shows.  Much as I dig the earlier podcasts (especially the Raji ones), I could tell the fubar stuff was gold from that very first episode when they got the guy on the phone to jerk off in his Spanish roommate's bedroom.

Anyone notice a personality change since the name change?  If there has been one, I haven't really noticed it.  Maybe a tiny bit more low-key than in the Gamble days.  That P&G fubar show where they hear the circusy idents Fubar made for them for the first time was probably in my top ten wettest laughing fits.

non capisco

Halfway through The Mental Podcast and I think it's brilliant. As he says at the top of the first ep not a comedy podcast and nothing like his other output but certainly something I'm finding inspiring and illuminating.

Dusty Substance

Does anyone know if The Mental Podcast is available elsewhere other than iTunes? I've searched for an RSS feed and on Soundcloud but with no luck. I'm very keen to hear TMP as both a Ray/Ian fan and as someone with an interest in the subject matter but at the same time, I don't have or want iTunes.

Thanks.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Dusty Substance on December 03, 2016, 05:53:06 PM
Does anyone know if The Mental Podcast is available elsewhere other than iTunes? I've searched for an RSS feed and on Soundcloud but with no luck. I'm very keen to hear TMP as both a Ray/Ian fan and as someone with an interest in the subject matter but at the same time, I don't have or want iTunes.

Thanks.
http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:271332380/sounds.rss

Dusty Substance

Cheers, Paaaaul.

I look forward to delving into the episodes.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Dusty Substance on December 05, 2016, 07:38:31 PM
Cheers, Paaaaul.

I look forward to delving into the episodes.

Don't go crazy and listen to them all at once.

Milverton

I was quite critical of Boldsworth regarding his RHLSTP appearance a few months back. I felt he came over quite poorly and the
Spoiler alert
heckling
[close]
although completely underserved, was handled clumsily. I've listened to it again since, and though it still isn't high on the list of the best of that show I think Herring let Boldsworth down quite badly that night. He didn't quite hang him out to dry but it wasn't far off. Herring almost took a delight in Boldsworth's discomfort.

So, that slight mea culpa dealt with The Parapod has become an unmissable joy. Dodds is growing in confidence and the chemistry between the two is really rather wonderful. The days when there seemed to be a hectoring, bordering on bullying, aspect to the way Boldcock dealt with Dodds's more outre idiocy seems to have settled down and there might even be an affection between the two hidden away somewhere.

The last series (hopefully not) starts towards the end of January and I can't wait. I do get the impression though that Boodsworth has had enough, and I think that'll be a shame. Clearly he is incredibly ambitious, and good for him, but something as silly as The Parapod deserves to return at least annually.

Ringside

Even if the Parapod comes to an end, I pray that there is more from the Boldsworth / Dodds team. They are so great together, and everything that I've heard Dodds take part in has been an absolute joy.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Milverton on December 05, 2016, 08:23:08 PM
I was quite critical of Boldsworth regarding his RHLSTP appearance a few months back. I felt he came over quite poorly and the
Spoiler alert
heckling
[close]
although completely underserved, was handled clumsily. I've listened to it again since, and though it still isn't high on the list of the best of that show I think Herring let Boldsworth down quite badly that night. He didn't quite hang him out to dry but it wasn't far off. Herring almost took a delight in Boldsworth's discomfort.

So, that slight mea culpa dealt with The Parapod has become an unmissable joy. Dodds is growing in confidence and the chemistry between the two is really rather wonderful. The days when there seemed to be a hectoring, bordering on bullying, aspect to the way Boldcock dealt with Dodds's more outre idiocy seems to have settled down and there might even be an affection between the two hidden away somewhere.

The last series (hopefully not) starts towards the end of January and I can't wait. I do get the impression though that Boodsworth has had enough, and I think that'll be a shame. Clearly he is incredibly ambitious, and good for him, but something as silly as The Parapod deserves to return at least annually.

Have you listened to these mental health ones yet?

non capisco

Oh, nice one! Although listening to Barry's takes on conspiracy theories will be somewhat of a busman's holiday from working with a guy who sincerely believes every government minister is forced to sacrifice a child upon taking office and that the 2012 Olympic mascots were actually a representation of the royal family in their true form.

Milverton

DrGreggles

I've listened to the previous 2 series over the last week and it really is pure spun gold.
Barry reading a letter in a Southern Belle voice is a favourite moment.

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 17, 2017, 11:07:20 PM
I've listened to the previous 2 series over the last week and it really is pure spun gold.
Barry reading a letter in a Southern Belle voice is a favourite moment.

Oh fucking hell that bit nearly ended me. Them both losing it when he reads out something like "It kicked the knick-knacks off the shelf" and then pronouncing 'malady' as 'm'lady'. Just brilliant.

DrGreggles

Mini

Spoiler alert
"You wouldn't send a nob'ead to the moon."
[close]
I love Barry.

H Scorn

Is the Fubar show dead and gone?

DrGreggles

Quote from: H Scorn on January 18, 2017, 09:25:11 PM
Is the Fubar show dead and gone?

Nope. There's still a new one every Monday.

non capisco

The bit with Barry writing off all of The Lake District as 'a bit weird' because he once met a bloke there with a piece of blue string for a belt. Welcome back, Parapod!

BritishHobo

Something quite sweet about Barry opening the episode complaining about how sensitive everyone is now and how they need thicker skin, then ending it by protesting that you 'don't upset people!' after that batshit article on ghosts making people gay. I love him.

Spoiler alert
YOU HAD TO ASK ME, WHEN WE WENT TO THE MOON
[close]

Cuellar

I'm sort of enjoying these, been dipping into the Parapod for a while.

It's all a bit Gervais/Pilkington though. I can't really get past that.

Milverton

Quote from: Cuellar on January 20, 2017, 02:57:44 PM
I'm sort of enjoying these, been dipping into the Parapod for a while.

It's all a bit Gervais/Pilkington though. I can't really get past that.

If you tweet Peabold that you win a prize.

Milverton

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 20, 2017, 02:33:09 PM
Spoiler alert
YOU HAD TO ASK ME, WHEN WE WENT TO THE MOON
[close]

Particularly wonderful after Barry's contention that he had done more research on the topic than ever before.

non capisco

"Has your mate Wayne had the right training to become an astronaut and go to the moon?"
"No."
"Has Buzz Aldrin had the right training to become and astronaut and go to the moon?"
"(pause)....Claims he has."

ASFTSN

Quote from: Milverton on December 05, 2016, 08:23:08 PM
Spoiler alert
heckling
[close]

Milverton

Quote from: ASFTSN on January 21, 2017, 12:27:58 PM

Apologies. I meant to answer this earlier.

No. Like pensions it's not a topic which interests me.

non capisco

Quote from: Milverton on January 21, 2017, 06:47:12 PM
No. Like pensions it's not a topic which interests me.

I would say if you're a fan of his other stuff give it a listen whether you're interested in the topic or not. Despite the heavy subject matter it's recognisably an Ian Boldsworth joint, i.e it's very funny in places. I gained a lot of succour, comfort and inspiration from it being the archetypal Cook'd and Bomb'd mentally ill type but I dare say even the most well-adjusted person in the world would find it a valuable and engaging listen. Without getting too in depth Ian gets a free pass for life from me for The Mental Podcast. The man is on the side of the angels for this one.