Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: 3D on March 25, 2017, 12:48:53 PM
I'm a little bit surprised by the high praise for the last two or three episodes. Although Dodds remains intrinsically funny, Boldsworth has become increasingly obnoxious. Episode nine's bullying motif hasn't really been that different to previous episodes where Boldsworth has occasionally overstepped the mark.

Sorry to say that the ParaPod is going out on a bit of a whimper. Boldsworth's vaulting ego got in the way. He tells us he has no interest in it. Yes, Ian, we noticed.

I get the feeling that you're in the minority.

BritishHobo

Again, I don't get this idea of Ian having a 'vaulting ego', or not being interested in the podcast, as if it's beneath him. It's Ian having a laugh with a mate and then putting in an impressive fuckload of time and energy into editing it, as well as promoting it and fundraising. He has total control and responsibility. It's not like he's a reluctant guest on some show he thinks is shite; he clearly has great affection for Barry and enjoys doing it.

If he truly was this arrogant dreamer who supposedly finds this podcast beneath him, he simply wouldn't bother doing it. There'd be no point.

3D

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 25, 2017, 06:35:12 PM
I get the feeling that you're in the minority.

I don't remember saying I wasn't.

3D

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 25, 2017, 11:23:15 PM
If he truly was this arrogant dreamer who supposedly finds this podcast beneath him, he simply wouldn't bother doing it. There'd be no point.

Final episode next Wednesday, folks.

Sin Agog

Think I can kind of understand 3D's problem.  It's the nature of this kinda alpha-beta dynamic so many podcasts have.  Ian's job is to perch in the bushes waiting for Barry to mess up before pouncing on him.  But, just like in those Gervais Pilkington shows, it can make the alpha guy come across like a right little nitpicker.  If there weren't an element of roleplay in there, Boldsworth would probably be impossible to hang around with for more than a few minutes for fear that you might accidentally mangle a word snd get filleted.  Thankfully, unlike Gervais, he knows it's just a comedic dynamic, and doesn't confuse the rest of the world for Karl Pilkingtons in need of his sage wisdom.

There's a whole spat of sub-Opie and Anthony podcasts out there like Race Wars that have one woman on board just to be the ditzy she-Dodds.  Now that is awkward.  I love how Cum Town parodies the whole thing by really half-heartedly making Adam the Pilky in the middle and then constantly pointing out that they're doing it because that's what podcasts do.

BritishHobo

Quote from: 3D on March 26, 2017, 02:09:12 AM
Final episode next Wednesday, folks.

After three series of editing and promotion and fundraising, and with the open intention of doing more together. That's not a 'gotcha'. They said series 3 was the last during series 2. If he found the whole thing (which he created) so beneath him, why wouldn't he fuck it off then and there, and only do two?

I mean, he created it. It's his project. The idea of it being beneath him just baffles me.

Replies From View

Weird how 3D is continuing exactly where Milverton left off.

My problem with this podcast lies with Barry, really.  They've really gone downhill since he's taken the "I don't know or care much about this conspiracy, but here's something I've misread and oh no it's bollocks actually isn't it" route.  It's tedious to listen to.  He should be finding things he can be passionate about or admit that a third series is more than his enthusiasm can stretch to.

It's never been Ian who's seemed bored with this.  It's been Barry with his hopefully-that'll-do, riding-on-Ian's-coattails-now attitude.

Mini

Yeah if there's been a drop off in quality it's because Barry doesn't believe in what he's arguing this time round. It was compelling to hear him sincerely claim the existence of ghosts against Ian's refutations. Him saying that
Spoiler alert
Finland doesn't exist
[close]
is less interesting, but still hilarious.

BritishHobo

Aye, I do miss stories that Barry genuinely believed in. Even last series he threw himself totally into obviously bollocks stuff like the Slender Man and the Badadook.

I guess the problem is if you're not interested, you're just not interested. A few episodes ago they were talking about fans who wanted Barry to do more research, but that desire is missing the point somewhat, I reckon. There were points in the last two series where Barry had done next to no research, but his fascination for the idea negated that completely. He may not have known much, but because he believed, he was willing to fight Ray so much more. With the conspiracies you can tell he's not as interested because he's much more likely to just go 'yeah, it's bollocks' as soon as Ray pulls him on something. Which is good - I would never want or expect Barry to fake enthusiasm - but it's a shame that he didn't get to find any conspiracies that really excited him.

I'm​ really hoping the film goes back to ghosts. The teaser footage seemed to be of a ghost hunt, and that would be amazing to see.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 27, 2017, 05:22:30 PM
Aye, I do miss stories that Barry genuinely believed in. Even last series he threw himself totally into obviously bollocks stuff like the Slender Man and the Badadook.

Me too.  If I had to compare series 3 with series 2, it would be the part where Barry had to do something about the Mary Celeste but couldn't be arsed.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on March 27, 2017, 05:27:20 PM
Me too.  If I had to compare series 3 with series 2, it would be the part where Barry had to do something about the Mary Celeste but couldn't be arsed.

"Booze cruise gone wrong"

BritishHobo

His stubborn insistence that there's nothing weird or mysterious about it is so much fun.

The Jim Sterling FUBAR episode should be out soon, right?

BritishHobo

Is it on iTunes? My feed's getting nothing.

BritishHobo

All the tributes and thanks and finality on Twitter is really making me sad, even though I know this won't be the end of Ian and Barry's partnership.

It's just lovely to see what a caring and engaged fanbase they've cultivated. Obviously Ray Peacock/Peacock and Gamble had followings, but something about the reception to the ParaPod has been really lovely to see; it's felt like Ian and Barry have had a wonderfully passionate community supporting them.

Ringside

On this weeks FUBAR show, Ian said that Barry would be co-presenting some episodes with him soon. So there's that.

DrGreggles

BritishHobo

Can't​ believe how sad I'm getting about this. Really gonna miss the show.

DrGreggles

Last episode is up (sob), as are the film donation incentives:

DrGreggles

The bit with
Spoiler alert
Barry's mum
[close]
was lovely.
I like how
Spoiler alert
ill-prepared he was in a piece that he'd prepared himself
[close]

The full re-listen starts today.

BritishHobo

So happy he did what he did
Spoiler alert
at the end of The Ray Peacock Podcast, with the highlights reel.
[close]

Mini

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 29, 2017, 09:02:32 AM
So happy he did what he did
Spoiler alert
at the end of The Ray Peacock Podcast, with the highlights reel.
[close]

I need to re-listen to series 1 after that. Bungle is the first It!

Great end to the series. That
Spoiler alert
phone call with Barry's mum
[close]
was priceless.

BritishHobo

I love the contrast between that and the ParaPod Extra with Ian's mum.

BritishHobo

My mates have got me a voucher for a free ghost hunt/sleepover at one of fuckloads of 'haunted' houses throughout the UK, including Pontefract.

I think I have to go to Pontefract. I think I have to.

BritishHobo

FUCK if I went to Pontefract I'd probably meet Carol

BritishHobo

I mean, to clarify, I would never be the kind of tourist-fan wanker to go someplace like that and be all like 'Hey Carol, how's you relationship with Barry roflmao did you know Ian threw the balls LOL' like that ScreenJunkies PRICK who went to an upmarket tailor in London and kept obnoxiously quoting Austin Powers until they kicked him out. I would literally never mention the ParaPod. I'd feel like a twat, and I'd expect THEM to think I was a twat.

But I love abandoned supposedly haunted places. I wouldn't really be interested in doing the ghost hunting EMF reader shite, but I'd love to visit and stay in Pontefract.

Replies From View

"Barry unscrewed all your lightbulbs ma'am and put them in a drawer."

Ringside

At this point in my life, at least, there isn't much that makes me happier than Barry singing Bobby Shafto.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Replies From View on March 31, 2017, 12:29:42 AM
"Barry unscrewed all your lightbulbs ma'am and put them in a drawer."

Sip from a ParaPod mug all night and shout 'DRIVING TEST!' whenever anyone gets excited.

I would genuinely love to listen to the Pontefract specials while wandering around Pontefract, seeing all the rooms they were in, but at the same time I'm very aware of how that could make me look, and I'd be horrified to think anyone there thought I was in any way trying to ridicule or disrespect them by doing it.

It's the kind of thing I get very paranoid about.
Christ I overthink.