Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:47:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H Scorn

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 18, 2017, 09:55:50 PM
Nope. There's still a new one every Monday.

Ah, I haven't noticed them appearing on Soundcloud.  Ian Boldsworth's various works help me get through the day, maybe I need to subscribe to Fubar now.

DrGreggles

Quote from: H Scorn on January 21, 2017, 10:24:39 PM
Ah, I haven't noticed them appearing on Soundcloud.  Ian Boldsworth's various works help me get through the day, maybe I need to subscribe to Fubar now.

I get them through iTunes, but I think they're all available at http://fubarradio.com/shows/ian-boldsworth/

ASFTSN

Quote from: Milverton on January 21, 2017, 06:47:12 PM
Apologies. I meant to answer this earlier.

No. Like pensions it's not a topic which interests me.

Fair do's. Just wondered if you'd investigated them given your comments on Boldsworth's mental state after he appeared on RHLSTP.

Milverton

Quote from: non capisco on January 21, 2017, 08:31:42 PM
I would say if you're a fan of his other stuff give it a listen whether you're interested in the topic or not. Despite the heavy subject matter it's recognisably an Ian Boldsworth joint, i.e it's very funny in places. I gained a lot of succour, comfort and inspiration from it being the archetypal Cook'd and Bomb'd mentally ill type but I dare say even the most well-adjusted person in the world would find it a valuable and engaging listen. Without getting too in depth Ian gets a free pass for life from me for The Mental Podcast. The man is on the side of the angels for this one.

I shall give it a try.

DrGreggles

The
Spoiler alert
Flamingo World
[close]
analogy! :-D

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 25, 2017, 04:57:05 PM
The
Spoiler alert
Flamingo World
[close]
analogy! :-D

A brilliant moment. Ian reduced to tears.

Also "Isis, banned. Al-Qaeda, banned.........(thinks)....who else are knob 'eads?..........Mechanics."

BritishHobo

Just absolutely crying at the bus stop the other day at 'The Illuninati's favourite road is Route 666.'

DrGreggles

Just listened again.
What the fuck do owls have to do with it!?

ASFTSN

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 28, 2017, 12:40:43 AM
Just listened again.
What the fuck do owls have to do with it!?

I'd imagine it's Barry's poorly researched attempts at linking the hidden 'owl' figure that's on a dollar bill (which I'd always been told was a spider) and the supposed owl-costume shenanigans at the Bilderberg Group after parties.

DrGreggles

Spoiler alert
Gladys Pip & The Knights
[close]
:-D

Mini

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 01, 2017, 08:26:52 AM
Spoiler alert
Gladys Pip & The Knights
[close]
:-D

I need that on a t-shirt.

BritishHobo

Another little heartwarming moment with Barry
Spoiler alert
reacting angrily to that overrated Lennon quote about Ringo not even being the best drummer in the Beatles.
[close]
Was so happy to hear what the conspiracy this week was.

I'm finding Ray isn't having to try anywhere near as hard as usual to disprove what Barry brings in. I'm still kinda hoping Barry's got a conspiracy planned that Ray has a genuine interest in, like the massacre in the Chupacabra episode (and my favourite ever ParaPod moment, where Ray lifts a dejected Barry's spirits by giving him loads of 9/11 related names with amounts of letters adding up to spooky numbers).

As always, I just love how much they enjoy each other.
Spoiler alert
I'M MICHAEL WINNER, GET OUT OF MY HOUSE ROBBIE WILLIAMS
[close]

ASFTSN

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 01, 2017, 02:16:25 PM
As always, I just love how much they enjoy each other.

That's the best thing about the majority of Boldsworths podcasts I reckon, and the reason the so-called 'bullying' is funny in a way it often (though not always) wasn't with the Gervais/Pilkington model.

ASFTSN

Anyone ever seen any of Barry's stand up?

non capisco

Spoiler alert
The whole Michael Winner haunting Robbie Williams' house section was ace. "What was his catchphrase again? Pukka! Oh, no, that was Jamie Oliver...."

"He wasn't one for shoes."

"Weird ears."
[close]

No other podcast makes me walk around beaming as much as this one.

Seagullsim

This week's Fubar show was an absolute disaster. They booked a guest that could only talk for a minute, then they let that gimp Jacob ruin it all again.

I quite like the dynamic between Ian and Nat these days, but any time they let Jacob near a mike, it instantly turns to shit. Didn't like the dating guest either.

BritishHobo

I'm still slowly catching up on FUBAR. Recently fell in love with Hacker T Dog thanks to it, and now I'm on the Simon Munnery episode, the last one before The Mental Podcast came out.

I'm never sure, with Jakub. The thing with him is that unlike Adam, it seems like he clearly doesn't want to be part of it either, that he'd rather stay off-air. I loved Jakub and Song though, even if just for how protracted it got, long past the point where any of them were enjoying it.

DrGreggles

I'm not keen on either Nat or Jacob to be honest. Neither are even remotely entertaining.
I'd prefer him to just chat to the guests or take random callers on the air (like on the old P&G shows).

Milverton

Spoiler alert
"When I see a hairy fanny now I react in the same way as when I see a hot air balloon. It's not unusual, but it's like "Oh, fuck, I haven't seen one of those for ages. "
[close]

BritishHobo

Fucking hell, that
Spoiler alert
long-teased radio clip
[close]
has made my week. The fucking image of it, getting to hear him with all his excitement - and then Ian's lovely immature spin that just keeps working better and better.

Spoiler alert
"It rang like a bell for an hour."
[close]

DrGreggles

Spoiler alert
"He was either a scientist or a farmer."
[close]

Mini

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 08, 2017, 09:43:27 AM
Spoiler alert
"It rang like a bell for an hour."
[close]

I was going to point out that there's no sound in space, but that turned out to be one of Barry's least ridiculous claims this episode. Amazing.

Milverton

Quote from: Mini on February 08, 2017, 10:11:03 AM
I was going to point out that there's no sound in space, but that turned out to be one of Barry's least ridiculous claims this episode. Amazing.

This moonquake exchange reminded me of the several occasions Pilkington had the piss ripped out of him by Gervais and Merchant for assorted seemingly outlandish claims while I sat surprised they did not know the things they summarily dismissed were either completely true, or true to a large extent. The XFM shows and the podcasts were littered with examples.

Although Boldsworth and Dodds understandably bristle at comparisons to Gervais and Pilkington the dynamic is unarguably similar and every bit as entertaining. With four episodes down and six to go I'm hoping we will discover that they (meaning Boldsworth) will relent and come back for a fourth series.

Although I never believed the claim made by Boldworth that there was always intended to be three series any more than I believed there was always meant to be the first Star Wars trilogy, I think the ParaPod is such a rare gem it deserves to be brought back again.

Replies From View

I've been a little disappointed by this series of the ParaPod.  In series one and two Barry tended to believe what he was offering to Ian, and was somewhat passionate about defending it, whereas I feel this time round he's done a couple of hours googling about something that he remains barely aware of, and has very little to say as Ian tears him to shreds.

The Paul McCartney one, for example.  From the beginning it was obvious that Barry didn't believe McCartney died in 1966.  The Karl Pilkington comparison is apt now because he's playing up to the image of himself formed in series one and two.  He has to believe in stupid stuff for the podcast to exist, so now he's pretending to.

BritishHobo

That's true. It is in sections like the moon-bell where he properly shines, because you feel how fucking thrilled he is by this weird thing he's heard.

Even if they don't do ParaPod series 4, I bet they'll continue working together on summat. There's still - unless I'm dense and am missing something -
Spoiler alert
that mysterious filmed ghost-hunt thing(?) they've been teasing.
[close]

ASFTSN

Been re-binging on the Peacock and Gamble podcast while working this week.  Hell ass damn it's funny (and stupid). 

I think it's the comedy podcast that has given me the most chuckles...just two genuinely really great mates (apparently) not really caring where their conversation veers, unafraid to take the piss out of each other and most importantly for me really a total balance of 'power'. 

As much as I like the Raji James stuff and the Parapod this is the real gold Boldsworth for me, not depending on a stooge on which to lean, just pure silliness on their own terms that you always got the feeling never stopped when the recording did.

EDIT:  Just now trying to keep it together at the description of John Virgo killing Ray with a trick (bullet) shot that would get on the train, through a dog, and finally culminate in hitting Ray's wrist with a glancing blow, causing him "to pick up a glass and drink some poison, then hitting the white and potting all the other balls on the way."

BritishHobo

It may be my all-time favourite comedy thing. I could honestly never tire of relistening. Obviously mischievousness is part and parcel of almost everything Ian does, but I love Peacock and Gamble for being just wall-to-wall playfulness, just going off making each other laugh by being childishly silly. I fucking love the way they would just take each other into the daftest places, and that both of them were the straight man AND the idiot. I'm sure there's barely a day goes by I don't make myself smile or laugh just by remembering a bit from one of the episodes.

Not sure I've ever laughed as long or as repeatedly at anything as I did at Ray's Muppet obsession and breakdown.

ASFTSN

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 09, 2017, 04:56:27 PM
Not sure I've ever laughed as long or as repeatedly at anything as I did at Ray's Muppet obsession and breakdown.

Is that with Ed reprimanding him for being an 'orrible little Victorian orphan begging for pigs?

This all looks so shit written down.

The Roofdog

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 08, 2017, 02:12:34 PM
Even if they don't do ParaPod series 4, I bet they'll continue working together on summat. There's still - unless I'm dense and am missing something -
Spoiler alert
that mysterious filmed ghost-hunt thing(?) they've been teasing.
[close]

What happened when they went back to Pontefract with some fans of the podcast? I got the impression they were going to release that as another special but it's never been mentioned since.