Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlasticTom

This new Parapod is a fucking joy from start to finish. The version on patreon is 20 minutes longer than what will get released to the general public, so you really should get on it and give them a few quid.

Replies From View

Quote from: PlasticTom on July 31, 2018, 11:36:00 PM
I still can't get over how good the Parapod is, even though by series 3 it's basically just Monkey News. Barry is such a completely charming person that it's just a joy to listen to him cracking Ian up.

I was disappointed by series 3, unfortunately.  Barry has to passionately believe what he's arguing or there's no point.  In series 3 it was mostly:

Barry: "Here's a theory off the internet I read about for the first time at five to midnight last night.  And I basically skimmed the least detailed summary of it I could find."
Ian:  "It's bollocks though."
Barry:  "Oh yeah fair enough, like I said I only just heard about it and don't share your deeper knowledge of it or other things."

He seemed affronted one week when listeners asked him to do better research, as well.  It was the very least he should have been doing.

Sin Agog

Loved the Fuzzbox interview on the latest Fubar.  They were my PVC-clad nymph idols back in the day, and that first album is still a total classic,  So glad that they clicked with Ian.  He can be a bit of an empath, bouncing off whatever energy the guests bring him, and they were as giddy as it gets.

PlasticTom

Quote from: Replies From View on August 01, 2018, 01:14:41 PM
I was disappointed by series 3, unfortunately.  Barry has to passionately believe what he's arguing or there's no point.  In series 3 it was mostly:

Barry: "Here's a theory off the internet I read about for the first time at five to midnight last night.  And I basically skimmed the least detailed summary of it I could find."
Ian:  "It's bollocks though."
Barry:  "Oh yeah fair enough, like I said I only just heard about it and don't share your deeper knowledge of it or other things."

He seemed affronted one week when listeners asked him to do better research, as well.  It was the very least he should have been doing.

It definitely wasn't as interesting. I really liked the stuff about Barry's equipment in Series 1 and it was good that he had a some background knowledge. Still though, I'm pretty sure Series 3 made me laugh just as much as the first 2 - the dynamic between them was still great and Barry can always come up with something unexpectedly hilarious.

Nice to see the welcome return of the "He gets very emotional..." running gag in the new one.

Replies From View

Quote from: PlasticTom on August 01, 2018, 10:20:42 PM
It definitely wasn't as interesting. I really liked the stuff about Barry's equipment in Series 1 and it was good that he had a some background knowledge. Still though, I'm pretty sure Series 3 made me laugh just as much as the first 2 - the dynamic between them was still great and Barry can always come up with something unexpectedly hilarious.

Oh certainly, I would rather have a below-par Parapod than no Parapod, so I'm not complaining in that regard.

Replies From View

Does anyone remember which of Ian's podcasts (and which episode) has the story of him driving Ed Gamble while he was asleep to a McDonald's in Fife as a prank?

I'm sure it's one of the live ones.

Replies From View

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on August 02, 2018, 04:33:22 PM
I'm sure it's one of the live ones.

The Ray Peacock Podcast or the Peacock and Gamble Podcast?

Ray Peacock, one of the live shows with Raji. My file is listed as S3 E15, but when I downloaded them the tagging was all to cock. Story is about 6 mins in.

Replies From View

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on August 02, 2018, 04:57:32 PM
Ray Peacock, one of the live shows with Raji. My file is listed as S3 E15, but when I downloaded them the tagging was all to cock. Story is about 6 mins in.

Thanks!

DrGreggles

The special has dropped for non-Patreons.

jimboslice

I know this has likely come up before, but does anyone know where I can get a hold of the Peacock and Gamble Edinburgh podcasts? I've stashed all of the Ray Peacock and Peack and Gamble ones, I just don't have the Edinburgh lot. I'd ask on the Patereon but don't want to upset old man Boldsworth.

DrGreggles

Quote from: jimboslice on September 06, 2018, 09:42:15 PM
I'd ask on the Patereon but don't want to upset old man Boldsworth.

I think the server that hosted them went down and he can't be arsed to find the original files or pay to have them hosted again.
That said, he does share some P&G stuff on Patreon when he comes across it (such as the Fraser bits last week).

As for the Edinburgh pods, I've got them all somewhere if there's a handy place to upload them.

Dusty Substance

Thought it might be worth bumping this thread as today (a pre-record) the show was co-hosted by a post-pub Johnny Vegas and the guests included John Shuttleworth.

I'm very glad to have got back into the Fubar shows having spent the last couple of weeks catching up on about six months worth of shows that I'd missed. There have been some moments of excellence, some interesting stories that I'd not heard before, an expansion on the time Ian did a gig at Broadmoor and, in among the usual West End luvvies and baffled writers, some pretty decent guests (Bob Saget and Iain Lee were on the same episode, and the Fuzzbox interview was a real joy).

Going back through the shows and hearing him talk about his other ventures spurred me onto pledging on his Patreon which I urge anyone who's enjoyed Ian/Ray's work over the years to also do.

Having said all that, I wish Barry would get back to becoming a more regular Fubar guest - His appearances seem few and far between these days.

I asked Ian something about Barry a little while ago and he said Barry was really busy at the moment and difficult to pin down. I think he's gigging a lot.

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 06, 2018, 10:10:28 PM
As for the Edinburgh pods, I've got them all somewhere if there's a handy place to upload them.

Can they be uploaded to the google drive link here, or does it not work like that?

Quote from: richard_mcd_green on April 21, 2018, 03:48:39 PM
Hey, first (and possibly only) time poster, just popping in to tell people I'm uploading the Peacock and Gamble shows I was able to get off of the internet archive to this google drive folder. There's 46 of them (Not consecutive unfortunately). I'll keep them up as long as possible, but no promises so get them while they're hot!
The folder should be editable, so if you have any of the missing episodes feel free to upload them. These podcasts helped me through some real emotional times, so I would very much like to get the full set.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lbKzr822JxfXYIMDoW2FOBcLtDll1vYS?usp=sharing

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2018, 10:01:56 PM
Can they be uploaded to the google drive link here, or does it not work like that?

They can if someone can provide an idiot guide!

BTW, is anyone going to the live Parapod in Nottingham in November?

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 24, 2018, 10:19:46 PM

I think it's just a matter of dragging the files into the folder!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2018, 10:23:48 PM
I think it's just a matter of dragging the files into the folder!

Really!?
I might be able to do that.

What's the link?

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 24, 2018, 10:25:40 PM
Really!?
I might be able to do that.

What's the link?

It's the one at the bottom of this quote:

Quote from: richard_mcd_green on April 21, 2018, 03:48:39 PM
Hey, first (and possibly only) time poster, just popping in to tell people I'm uploading the Peacock and Gamble shows I was able to get off of the internet archive to this google drive folder. There's 46 of them (Not consecutive unfortunately). I'll keep them up as long as possible, but no promises so get them while they're hot!
The folder should be editable, so if you have any of the missing episodes feel free to upload them. These podcasts helped me through some real emotional times, so I would very much like to get the full set.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lbKzr822JxfXYIMDoW2FOBcLtDll1vYS?usp=sharing

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 24, 2018, 10:19:46 PM

BTW, is anyone going to the live Parapod in Nottingham in November?

I'm supposed to be going. I have a ticket at least. But I was going to stay in Nottingham for the night and now I have to be back the same night, so I'm trying to figure out if trains will doable.

Ian's put a 10 minute deleted scene with Barry up on his Patreon. Good stuff.

Has anyone listened to the Norman Lovett interview on Ian's Patreon?

Replies From View

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 13, 2018, 12:43:41 AM
Has anyone listened to the Norman Lovett interview on Ian's Patreon?

Listening to it now.

Maybe I have been over-listening to Ian Boldsworth lately but I'm starting to find his "yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah" interview agreement noise a bit annoying.

Interesting the comments on Linehan considering everything.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Replies From View on October 13, 2018, 03:12:45 AM
I'm starting to find his "yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah" interview agreement noise a bit annoying.

One of his worst traits. I'm sure he did it years ago during the Ray Peacock/Peacock And Gamble podcasts which I assumed was for comedic purposes, but on FUBAR it comes across on radio as rude or sounding dis-interested.