Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

There's a call from Barry on the latest FUBAR, which is always good value. I rarely agree with Dodds but this time he's right, the Daphne And Celeste album IS great.

Richard Herring makes an unscheduled appearance, too. I know he's not exactly beloved on CAB, but he and Ian discuss the heckling incident from when Boldsworth was on RHLSTP. No big revelations but, as he points out, Ian's never discussed it publicly.

Sin Agog

He's mentioned his RHLSTP appearance on Fubar a bunch of times.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 16, 2018, 11:51:58 PM
There's a call from Barry on the latest FUBAR, which is always good value. I rarely agree with Dodds but this time he's right, the Daphne And Celeste album IS great.

Richard Herring makes an unscheduled appearance, too. I know he's not exactly beloved on CAB, but he and Ian discuss the heckling incident from when Boldsworth was on RHLSTP. No big revelations but, as he points out, Ian's never discussed it publicly.

I think Ian meant that he and Herring had never discussed it previously.

Great to hear Dodds again - it's been a while.
Can't wait until The Parapod Live on the 4th of November!

cakeinmilk

The toxicity of this forum gets a shoutout in the latest Patreon update!

DrGreggles

Quote from: cakeinmilk on October 19, 2018, 09:17:04 AM
The toxicity of this forum gets a shoutout in the latest Patreon update!

Is he definitely referring to this thread?
It's almost completely positive about him and his work.

If it was this thread, er... Hello Ian!

cakeinmilk

Most assuredly. He picks up on the minor criticism of his "yeah yeah yeahs" after Richard Herring told him not to look and gets sad.

Sin Agog

Maybe all the talk of his past work here bristles him?  I mean, right at the end of that Herring chat there's another reference to poor old Ed.  Ian's clearly the more interesting and talented of the two, but Ed's a nice lad.

Or p'raps there was a post here telling him to shoot his wee geggy about Rugby League?

Being over-sensitive is OK, though. It comes from the same place as the creativity.  Get rid of one, and the other will die.

Sin Agog

Also, a few yeah yeah yeahs never did The Beatles any harm.

I think if you tend to suffer from mental health problems you're more likely to take the negatives to heart. It can be the minor comments that can really get under your skin. It's easy to think you should focus on the positives, and this thread is overwhelmingly positive, but there can be that thing in your brain that just won't let you. Especially if you have any degree of imposter syndrome, that one negative voice can be the one that's found you out. It's why I think if you have any level of fame you shouldn't search for comments about yourself. There's also that thing of stand-ups being able to zoom in on the one person in a room who isn't laughing.

vainsharpdad

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 19, 2018, 01:37:24 PM
I think if you tend to suffer from mental health problems you're more likely to take the negatives to heart. It can be the minor comments that can really get under your skin. It's easy to think you should focus on the positives, and this thread is overwhelmingly positive, but there can be that thing in your brain that just won't let you. Especially if you have any degree of imposter syndrome, that one negative voice can be the one that's found you out. It's why I think if you have any level of fame you shouldn't search for comments about yourself. There's also that thing of stand-ups being able to zoom in on the one person in a room who isn't laughing.

This sounds like a description of me.

(But not the fame bit)

Sin Agog

I've just been given word that Ian posts on here as Emotional Support Peacock (the adjusted stage name he briefly considered before going with his own name).

Replies From View

Quote from: cakeinmilk on October 19, 2018, 09:29:20 AM
Most assuredly. He picks up on the minor criticism of his "yeah yeah yeahs" after Richard Herring told him not to look and gets sad.

Ah, shit.  If you are reading this I am sorry to have made you sad, Ian.

jimboslice

QuoteWell, I say I don't, but Richard Herring and I were discussing online forums whilst in the lift at Caledonian Road station the other day, and he told me about two websites that he won't look at any more because they're so toxic and critical of his work, so naturally I laughed and said I was going to go and look at them.  That bit me on the arse, as the first thing I found was a thread about me, slagging me off for saying "yeah yeah yeah" in interviews.  It said that it sounded like I was disinterested, but from my side it's meant to be affirming.  I mean, it's merely a sound of engagement if you want to really break it down, but there we go.  I tell you, no matter how much you claim to not read that sort of stuff, it takes a monumental effort to close the page and stop thinking about it when you find it. I managed to, but that's some self-discipline right there.  I'm now certain that Herring knew full well they were slagging me off, and set the trap by pretending it was him getting a hiding.  Obviously I'd have wanted to read that...clever girl Richard Herring....clever girl...
Which is the other forum that Herring doesn't read then?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's a shame that Ian has taken such a dim view of this thread, as it's almost entirely full of warm praise for the man and his work.

Ian, if you're still reading this, you're a great bunch of lads.

Sin Agog

Send him an email or somat telling him we all love him and don't feel sad.  We're even willing to commit unspeakables on Replies From View the second he gives us the word.

Sin Agog

By the way, I got caught in the exact same situation today.  According to the person I was talking to, I was saying 'd'you know what I mean?' too many times, but I just wanted to be sure they were on the same page as me... It was a bid for empathy, damnit, not me actively trying to annoy them.  No wonder those Trappist fellas take vows of silence.

DrGreggles

The 'Ian's Day In London' video on his Patreon is excellent.

BritishHobo

It really is lovely. And in service of something I'm so excited for.

I fucking love Ian. Went to a gig last week and was thinking about how much I hate the whole 'encore' thing. Picked up the FUBAR shows again as I'm quite behind, and almost immediately he's saying he hates the contrivance of it.

DrGreggles

BritishHobo

Oh my god. This is like actual dream comedy stuff for me. I can't think of any comedy thing I would want more than this.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 28, 2018, 08:53:53 AM
Oh my god. This is like actual dream comedy stuff for me. I can't think of any comedy thing I would want more than this.

I'd pick the Dobby stationery cupboard scene from Peep Show, probably.

Real treat for old school P&G fans on the Patreon today.

DrGreggles

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 31, 2018, 05:00:39 PM
Real treat for old school P&G fans on the Patreon today.

Yes, great stuff.
That was the first thing I saw them do.

DrGreggles

Barry has just tweeted that they've released "a tiny amount" of extra tickets for The Parapod Live on Sunday.

BritishHobo

Hope everyone who's going has a good time, you absolute fucking bastards.

I don't care if it's my wedding day the day of the ParaPod Movie premiere, I will be there.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 02, 2018, 02:01:11 PM
I don't care if it's my wedding day the day of the ParaPod Movie premiere, I will be there.

Surely there will be enough of us to make it a CaB meet.

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 02, 2018, 02:02:26 PM
Surely there will be enough of us to make it a CaB meet.

Actually this would be a good idea.

DrGreggles

Just landed in Nottingham for some live Parapod action.
Ridiculously excited!

BritishHobo

Really hope you all have a great time!