Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:09:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Finishing off the 'Christmas' FUBAR last show of the year. Really happy to get more Harriet Thorpe, she was easily one of my favourite bits of Ian's show this year.

BritishHobo

Sin Agog

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 31, 2018, 09:08:41 PM
Finishing off the 'Christmas' FUBAR last show of the year. Really happy to get more Harriet Thorpe, she was easily one of my favourite bits of Ian's show this year.

Lovely, perfect end to the Harriet saga with that last-minute bit of gallantry from Ian, and her dropping character to respond in kind.

DrGreggles

(Removed by request)

typeforty

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 01, 2019, 01:23:58 AM

Didn't he also tell us not to tell anyone outside of the Patreon..?

DrGreggles

I thought that referred to not sharing the video.
Anyway, a heads up here might encourage some new Patreons.

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 01, 2019, 01:14:55 PM
I thought that referred to not sharing the video.

No, he asked it to be kept as a special treat for the people already supporting him - that's why he did it on 31st Dec, for the people who'd been paying all month and hadn't bailed before the PayPal collected.

DrGreggles

Well, even if that were the case, it's too late for me to edit the post anyway.

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 01, 2019, 01:52:25 PM
Well, even if that were the case, it's too late for me to edit the post anyway.

Not to pick a fight, but even if what was the case? His post 100% asked that the video be kept for the people who support him. I couldn't believe it when I saw someone had already shared it.

We know he's aware of the forum and he wrote how his mood was when he decided to share it (and how he was really torn over whether to do it) so I doubt will encourage him to release more.

Fuck it. As you said, the damage is done. Just a shame.

DrGreggles

I genuinely thought he meant to not share the video - which I haven't done.
The reason I mentioned it at all was because I thought it might get him a few more subscribers.
As the self-appointed internet police are now on my case I won't bother again.

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 01, 2019, 02:51:26 PM
As the self-appointed internet police are now on my case I won't bother again.

No need to throw around insults.

Just read the Patreon post next time, then that way you won't do exactly what it asks you not to do.

DrGreggles

I've asked the mods for the post to be edited/removed, so maybe that'll stop you crying.

As for the rest of your post: Piss off, you patronising prick.

Now, where's that 'ignore user' button...

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 01, 2019, 03:03:53 PM
I've asked the mods for the post to be edited/removed, so maybe that'll stop you crying.

As for the rest of your post: Piss off, you patronising prick.

Ta. Happy new year to you too.

DrGreggles

Fubar are apparently playing episodes of Ian's show all day today.

Sin Agog

What's Ian's status on Fubar?  Like, where would he come in the rankings, d'ya reckon?

DrGreggles

Top dog, I reckon.
I think they've mentioned that his show is the most downloaded.

typeforty

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 01, 2019, 03:35:05 PM
What's Ian's status on Fubar?  Like, where would he come in the rankings, d'ya reckon?

Back in the old days, shows with him on were always the highest rated things on the station. I suspect that's probably still the case, though things like Nick Helms show might give him a run for his money?

RicoMNKN

I wish he'd just block people who dodge the payment. 
Putting stuff like that up late on the last day of the month is a good idea, but only if they can't crawl back the next day.

BritishHobo

I wonder how feasible it would be for Patreon to deal with the issue. It would be tough to do without the system accidentally banning some innocent people, I suppose - people with uneven income who aren't always able to support on a monthly basis - but presumably it wouldn't be too hard for them to be able to keep an eye on accounts which have cancelled and resubscribed far more than they've paid? Or if you've been a patron of someone for, hypothetically, twenty-nine or thirty days, but cancel before payment, you can't become a patron of them again without paying for the month you bailed on.

I'm sure Ian has said in the past that he did have one person who keep leaving before the payment date and rejoining and he did block the account. Also Ian switched the payment system to pay in advance a few months ago. So in the past you could join, get a full month's worth of access and then leave before the payment date. Now you get charged for the month when you sign up.

DrGreggles

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 01, 2019, 07:08:25 PM
I wonder how feasible it would be for Patreon to deal with the issue. It would be tough to do without the system accidentally banning some innocent people, I suppose - people with uneven income who aren't always able to support on a monthly basis - but presumably it wouldn't be too hard for them to be able to keep an eye on accounts which have cancelled and resubscribed far more than they've paid? Or if you've been a patron of someone for, hypothetically, twenty-nine or thirty days, but cancel before payment, you can't become a patron of them again without paying for the month you bailed on.

Even then, the minimum subscription is only a pound a month; surely if you want the content that's not too much?  If you value your time, the effort of subscribing and unsubscribing every month to avoid paying can't be worth the £1 saved?  Just seems weird and selfish to me.

On last night's Cabin Fever he mentioned again about it and said he's blocked some of the people who've left.

DrGreggles

I wonder if there's a way of him creating his own Patreon-esque site, where he could administrate it as he saw fit? Preventing people leaving/rejoining or allowing quarterly/yearly subscriptions instead of monthly ones.
He's certainly popular enough for fans to follow him to another platform, but it's probably a lot of unwanted hassle.

Dusty Substance

By the way, if anyone wants the full, unedited FUBAR episode with Ben Dover and Lucy Porter, I'm happy to share it - Send me a DM and I'll share it via Dropbox.

I hate to say this but I'm a bit dubious about this new project he's talked about on Patreon.

DrGreggles

BritishHobo

I'm a bit behind on the Patreon - been meaning to sit down one day and organise all the podcasts into a listening order - but I think if there's one comedian I'd follow through any project, it's Ian. I've always been so inspired by the way he's created the projects he wants to do.

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 09, 2019, 09:22:35 AM
The puppet one?

The podcast with Phil. I think the puppet one has potential because you know he'll put in the work he needs to. But I think a film podcast is really difficult to do just because there's so many and the things that make the few good ones work are the things it seems he doesn't want to do and I don't know if there's the comedic chemistry with Phil to make it just work on the relationship.

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 09, 2019, 11:44:39 AM
I'm a bit behind on the Patreon - been meaning to sit down one day and organise all the podcasts into a listening order - but I think if there's one comedian I'd follow through any project, it's Ian. I've always been so inspired by the way he's created the projects he wants to do.

Oh absolutely, but I mean more in the sense of this connecting with a larger audience. It feels a bit like the audience who'd want to listen to this might already be on the Patreon.